• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type with the best sense of direction?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm awesome as long as we're talking navigation, or north/south/east/west :holy:

... however, I still get confused as to which direction is left or right

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Mine isn't so good either. But like the other SJs said, I can remember streets pretty much forever. Street names and N/S/E/W confuse me to no end unless I have landmarks and images in my head to go by.

If I pulled out onto the nearest road, I have no idea which way is north. Is that bad?

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
:woot:
Mine isn't so good either. But like the other SJs said, I can remember streets pretty much forever. Street names and N/S/E/W confuse me to no end unless I have landmarks and images in my head to go by.

Ugh I hate that like SE Maple Lane...I don't have that where I live so when I travel to some where it takes me a little while to get used to.

oh snap this was my 100th post! :woot:

aufs klo

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have awesome bearings! I'm good with N/S/E/W, but also really good at remembering where things are oriented. When I was in Munich, I led my friends across the city to our destination after being there for about a day

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I have awesome bearings! I'm good with N/S/E/W, but also really good at remembering where things are oriented. When I was in Munich, I led my friends across the city to our destination after being there for about a day

Hidden message - the quest to cross the city started at the beginning of the day.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't ask me what any street names are, I've lived in the same city my whole life and that still confuses me but I don't get lost and come in pretty handy when directing using a map in unfamiliar places.

Surely not INFJs.

Surely not. My INFJ sister is bad, just plain bad with directions, only problem is she won't tell me if she's lost she just starts sounding vague but states with humorous defiance that she knows where she is... that's the sign for me to stop and take control of the map :rolleyes:

Nah, if I'm truly an ISTJ, then no it's not true. My sense of direction is horrible.

My ISTJ friend is hopeless too, she calls her partner to plan travel routes days ahead of time in true ISTJ style, if she doesn't have someone else to tell her how to get places she just doesn't go.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
i'm a human gps.
Unsurprising, that. The SPs I'm aware of are so good at remembering physical details they can find their way to anywhere a second time.

Now I have a good direction sense, as in I can tell if we've started to go from west to north, but I'm really bad at noticing and remembering the environment, and can still screw up if I've driven somewhere five times.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ENTJ. Not to be vain, but my sense of direction has been source of marvel for most people I know, and the same is true for the ENTJ guys I know. After 3 months of dating I knew my girlfriend's town and nearby zones/roads better than her (and she's lived there for 23 years). If I am in the woods and/or in the mountains, I can explore alternative routes without getting lost - without having a map. ESTPs come close second, however they are often slightly more unsure when they don't know the place at all.

ISTJ, that has been named by many, is good at knowing very much in detail a place that has been visited many times, but rather hopeless with general direction sense. I remember telling my father which road to take when I was 4; of course he wouldn't listen since I was too little, however I always turned out to be right.

(I have a little problem, though. I've never been able to remember easily which way is left, and which is right: it always sounded like such an arbitrary way to define direction)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(I have a little problem, though. I've never been able to remember easily which way is left, and which is right: it always sounded like such an arbitrary way to define direction)
Me too, I still do. And others on the board have said something similar. :headphne:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
... however, I still get confused as to which direction is left or right

same!
And i've read a blog about an entp that tattooed her feet with 'right\left'

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
the txtbook answer would be SPs but i beg to differ.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
same!

I know an ISTP and an ISFP who should both look into something similar, tell them to turn left or right and you have no better than a 50/50 chance they'll get it right, they only way to be sure is to point at the same time :doh:

redacted

Don't think this has to do with MBTI. You could argue that it takes a Sensing function, but all types can have good Sensing ability. It's like asking which type is best at football. I guess S types may be better on average, but it's not a high enough correlation to really mean anything.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
same!

:rofl1: I had to write L and R on my hands during Driving class so that I could remember which direction was which and not fail the class... my instructor loved to laugh at me.

Don't think this has to do with MBTI. You could argue that it takes a Sensing function, but all types can have good Sensing ability. It's like asking which type is best at football. I guess S types may be better on average, but it's not a high enough correlation to really mean anything.

*raises hand and waves it madly*

I have awesome Se anyways! :D

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hear conflicting reports about INFJ's sense of direction, but I happen to have a particularly uncanny one, almost a homing instinct. I usually just "know" when I'm going in the wrong direction, and which way I need to go to get back on track. I can also navigate quite well in a city I've never been to before after a very short adjustment period.

It's not always easy for me to explain my direction sense to others, however, which is endlessly frustrating for my partner, who wants clear specific instructions instead of the vague "you need to turn left soon" stuff I come out with!

redacted

^Yay you proved my point. I'm the same type as you (and even the same enneagram type and wing and stacking) and I have a horrible sense of direction. Most often I have no idea where I'm going unless I've taken the route multiple times.