• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is extroversion everything that looks like extroversion?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have one observation from real life I would like to share and in a way it is confession.

Introverts say that they lose energy in social situations, at leat in some of them.

As far as I know idea that extroverts are social and introverts less so is not true. The real picture is that extroverts are energised by people and introverts are not or they lose energy in the process.
(this is simplistic view)

I, as a person always score introversion 80%-100%.

The thing is that I have very well developed inner world that never shuts down even in most social situations. In a way it so intense that it can't be shut down.

What leads into somewhat bizzare situation.

I am producing more energy then I can lose.
When I analyse my life this can even be observed. Most of my life I am alone since that is my natural state but I don't have social phobias.
Few times in my life I have been to real partys and all of them had something in common.
I was always the one that was leaving last and after it I was the same as at beginning. My battery was full, since I was unaffected by entire thing on this level.

The reason why I seek any contact with others has nothing to do with E/I but with NTJ part. I know I need them to achive my goals or to get an information but that is mostly it. All parts of my NTJ part are strong as my introversion. I was thinking about how this is even possible but when I take a look at who I am there is no point in not accepting test results.

My theory is that this is mostly because of my extremly weak Fe. When I am around people I don't create emotional bonds. So I think that emotional bounds could be what is draining introverts. Plus I have never stoping source inside me.
Because of this I can come as very impersonal person from which you can't hide. Over the years I have managed to muster enough skill to soften this trait. This can probably explain why I don't have romantic feeling.

Also there were cases when I have managed to drain strong Es with my approach. Since they can't take that much interaction and I can since I am not losing energy. Many peope find this trait quite odd because it makes me hard to place in social stereotypes.

Do I have a winning lottery ticket without even knowing it? :thinking:

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
What an interesting theory, but there is a problem. Fe isn't the function that creates emotional bonds. I think that sort of behaviour lies outside of any of the 8 functions. What makes you think those two things are correlated?

I will say that one of my best friends is an INTJ and he would probably agree with you. He doesn't like people, but he sees the need for social contacts and going to parties...etc. So there seems to be some meat in your argument. I don't think the Fe thing is neccessarily what is driving it though.

This thread confuses me about introversion even more. Why do you consider yourself an introvert?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What an interesting theory, but there is a problem. Fe isn't the function that creates emotional bonds. I think that sort of behaviour lies outside of any of the 8 functions. What makes you think those two things are correlated?

I will say that one of my best friends is an INTJ and he would probably agree with you. He doesn't like people, but he sees the need for social contacts and going to parties...etc. So there seems to be some meat in your argument. I don't think the Fe thing is neccessarily what is driving it though.

This thread confuses me about introversion even more. Why do you consider yourself an introvert?

I consider myself a introvert since I am almost always on my own.
I haven't been on real party for 3 years and I never had gf what would be normal for mid 20s. This is very short explanation but everything else is huge amount of details. It is just that my NTJ parts is creting needs for social things and since I create more energy then I lose I can be around people for a long time. What is unusual for someone who is highly introverted

I am saying that lack of Fe is creating one very thick skinned personaility but
Fe is not the main "actor" here.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Emotional bonds help introverts not be drained by social interaction. Read many of the testimonies you see here and it'll be clear that introverts don't mind being around their close friends. I do think that we can charge up quite a bit of energy though. Your otherwise pragmatic approach to socialization is INTJ enough. Though I on the other hand do have those phobias to some degree.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Interesting. If you're producing more energy than you can lose, that can only be good.

Many social events (parties, trips, dinner and a movie, whatever) that I've been to leave me feeling more energized than I was before. It all depends on who I was with. I can't get all of my ideas from within myself. However, after spending a very long time even with people I find interesting, eventually my introversion starts to protest. Instead of just being discharged by social interaction, I think my energy goes up and then down. The key is figuring out where that point is.

I think you could say that my NTJ creates a need for social things. On one level, I like to be competent, fully competent people are also competent at relations with others, thus, I am somewhat social. But that's reducing it. I think we all need others on some level. And I do create emotional bonds, although I doubt they're as outwardly intense as an F might; I don't find that draining in itself.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
As far as I know idea that extroverts are social and introverts less so is not true. The real picture is that extroverts are energised by people and introverts are not or they lose energy in the process.

Interesting thread and thoughts on OP.

It made me think of myself who quite opposite, say something like 80%-100% extroverted IRL (not necessarily seen as much online, I guess????)

When with people having fun with good old positive feelings around I get very energized with people but I don't conserve that energy. I mean that I get lots of energy and I radiate it to other people. I'm like a happiness generator who gets 10 energy, dublicates it and then gives it away to everybody. So, people who do not like energy radiated people like me :smile:, they'll get very tired of the high energy levels. But a person who doesn't mind the high energy level that I send around me, even some introverts, maybe?

The same works also with negative emotions but only when those negative emotions originate from myself. I mean when I get really angry, I'll radiate burst of hugely negative energy around me (but only for short period of time...usually). But when I'm not myself angry and I'm in a negative environment, I'll withdraw, so you wouldn't be seeing an extroverted person in those situations...

It's the other thing with sad emotions, but that is discussed in other thread. ;)

The thing here is that I don't conserve or store my energy to myself, never ever. I use it, spread it, spend it etc... I really dont' know how to store or conserve my energy to myself.

Maybe people who don't mind extra energy do like it but people who are on low energy levels and like to keep it that way hate my energy radiating at them...?

I have found out that there are also some who can be so detached of the current situation, that they don't actually care if the person is energetic or not. They just stand so far away mentally or are blocking everything or something. Most of those people are introverted. I think it's much harder for the extroverted to block the outside world... Maybe that's the thing with E-I, the dis/ability to block out the outer world and to concentrate on the inner of themselves.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ yeah...if you put me in a room full of people i have nothing to say to...meaning people that only want to talk about things i find boring and people that have no sense of humor...then you'll see me as an introvert for sure...i will be looking out the window...or at a book/mag whatever...i can't fake it...at all.

but out in an environment that i willingly go to...lots of talking with and laughing with people...i'm not about "me" at all in those situations though...the focus is never on myself...i'm not really self conscious or analyzing myself in anyway...i'm just focussed on the people around me.

i don't know if that contributed anything...i didn't really read all of it...sorry.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I can tell you that Keirsey's "Recharging" business is an analogy. I would say "Regrouping" is more accurate for introverts at least. In a complex social scene, we get disoriented over time, much quicker than extroverts. This disorientation results in frustration and ineffectiveness.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've never heard it quite that way before...interesting...disoriented by all the different waves of personality?

i think...for me...they blend and it becomes like this whole group vibe thing.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
but out in an environment that i willingly go to...lots of talking with and laughing with people...i'm not about "me" at all in those situations though...the focus is never on myself...i'm not really self conscious or analyzing myself in anyway...i'm just focussed on the people around me.

i don't know if that contributed anything...i didn't really read all of it...sorry.

I think that's a good point: the focus is never on myself....
I totally understand! :)

Hehe, for the last part, I'm not very good either in reading all posts in threads :smile:. I think somebody commented me something about that some time ago. :newwink:

One lol for tinfoil hats!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's a good point: the focus is never on myself....
I totally understand! :)

Hehe, for the last part, I'm not very good either in reading all posts in threads :smile:. I think somebody commented me something about that some time ago. :newwink:

One lol for tinfoil hats!

and yeah...knew you'd know!! haha and just can't sit and read super long posts when i'm tired...ahhh! haha...but of course i still gotta say somethin...haha

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
and yeah...knew you'd know!! haha and just can't sit and read super long posts when i'm tired...ahhh! haha...but of course i still gotta say somethin...haha

hmmmm....
the randomity of your thought seems so familiar :laugh:
I love it! :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know...never noticed that about myself but i see it in all the enfp posts around here...so funny!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha...i guess so :D

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have one observation from real life I would like to share and in a way it is confession.

Introverts say that they lose energy in social situations, at leat in some of them.

I, as a person always score introversion 80%-100%.

The thing is that I have very well developed inner world that never shuts down even in most social situations. In a way it so intense that it can't be shut down.

What leads into somewhat bizzare situation.

I am producing more energy then I can lose.
When I analyse my life this can even be observed. Most of my life I am alone since that is my natural state but I don't have social phobias.
Few times in my life I have been to real partys and all of them had something in common.
I was always the one that was leaving last and after it I was the same as at beginning. My battery was full, since I was unaffected by entire thing on this level.

The reason why I seek any contact with others has nothing to do with E/I but with NTJ part. I know I need them to achive my goals or to get an information but that is mostly it. All parts of my NTJ part are strong as my introversion. I was thinking about how this is even possible but when I take a look at who I am there is no point in not accepting test results.

My theory is that this is mostly because of my extremly weak Fe. When I am around people I don't create emotional bonds. So I think that emotional bounds could be what is draining introverts. Plus I have never stoping source inside me.
Because of this I can come as very impersonal person from which you can't hide. Over the years I have managed to muster enough skill to soften this trait. This can probably explain why I don't have romantic feeling.

Also there were cases when I have managed to drain strong Es with my approach. Since they can't take that much interaction and I can since I am not losing energy. Many peope find this trait quite odd because it makes me hard to place in social stereotypes.

Do I have a winning lottery ticket without even knowing it? :thinking:

I missed this one!
I believe the supposed "extroversion" traits (for the purpose of "goals") is tied to the NT part of it, and Keirsey's factor called "pragmatism". As you know, Keirsey divides the types into 'temperaments'. Before we even got into type and Jungian functions, introversion/extroversion were used to measure the four temperaments. Sanguine and Choleric were the "extroverts". It is universally agreed that in the type groups, SP is the Sanguine. I have been disagreeing with Keirsey's claim that NF was Choleric and NT Phlegmatic. NT seems more Choleric; if you know what to look for. (hint: not "exciteability"). The notion of "using people for goals" (and not otherwise responding to them much or being "impersonal") is a typical trait of the Choleric.
The NT and SP shared in common the factor of pragmatism ("do what works") while the other two were "cooperative" ("do what's right"). Right here, it becomes clear that pragmatism is a form of "expressiveness"; in which a person is quick to act or move towards people for some purpose. Hence, it is basically the conative counterpart to "extroversion". The I/E dichotomy itself defines another four temperament group known as the Interaction Styles. Those are the more familiar surface social behaviors, where types like INTJ are slower to act. However, I types like this that are pragmatic will still nevertheless have some "extroverted" or expressive streak in there somewhere. They will be quick to act or approach people in certain instances, despite their introversion. This has been discussed regarding the ISFP as well.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Well although I'm an introvert, the more time I spend with others, the more I'm energized. This goes up to a certain point however, maybe 5 hours or so.