• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is introversion?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Simple question, so it leaves a lot of room for answers.

It seems like a lot of people on here don't know what introversion really is, including myself. Seems like every trait of an introvert has been scrutinized to the point that they lose all meaning. Is there really a definition to lump all introverts together?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I generally prefer my own company and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Devotion, complete interest, and precedent placed on my thoughts. Imagination is one of my most cherished traits. It needs constant fuel and a desire to remain somewhat detached and isolated. Focus turned inward. Control of self is the most comforting and desirable thing. Somewhat constant struggle to achieve it. Thoughts are sorted out before further action. Self emanates from mind.

*My self perception.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the definition of an introvert is a person who takes energy from being alone. I see introverts and extroverts like battery chargers that need a different kind of outlet to charge up in. Introverts need to be away from people to recharge. It's the solitude that they plug into. Extroverts use people to recharge, is the social energy that they plug into. That's how I see it at least. (example: I'm an introvert, when I'm upset or hurt I want to be alone. My father is an extrovert, when he's upset or hurt he wants people with him ALL THE TIME). ;)

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I generally prefer my own company and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

And you think this is true for all introverts?

At least your intent is noble.

I just want to understand if introversion is actually something significant. It seems like the definition of introversion is always being expanded upon to the point where it almost seems irrelevant now. I'd like to hear some of your insights Mycroft.

Devotion, complete interest, and precedent placed on my thoughts. Imagination is one of my most cherished traits. It needs constant fuel and a desire to remain somewhat detached and isolated. Focus turned inward. Control of self is the most comforting and desirable thing. Somewhat constant struggle to achieve it. Thoughts are sorted out before further action. Self emanates from mind.
*My self perception.

very interesting. Some of those things you said never seem to be associated with being an introvert but seem to be something that could be thought on more. Do you think most introverts show these traits?

I think the definition of an introvert is a person who takes energy from being alone. I see introverts and extroverts like battery chargers that need a different kind of outlet to charge up in. Introverts need to be away from people to recharge. It's the solitude that they plug into. Extroverts use people to recharge, is the social energy that they plug into. That's how I see it at least. (example: I'm an introvert, when I'm upset or hurt I want to be alone. My father is an extrovert, when he's upset or hurt he wants people with him ALL THE TIME). ;)

This seems like one of the things that isn't true for everyone. Some extraverts would say they go into isolation when upset. Is it really as simple as "where you get your energy"?

V

violaine

And you think this is true for all introverts?

True for me. I don't really suffer without the company of others... though love spending time with the people I love. I like socializing, but I really don't need it. Explanation via e.g.: I went to a party recently I didn't know the hosts well (both extroverts) not at all shy about going alone. I talked with loads of different people until 8am the following morning. That afternoon they rang and wanted to do it again... ('are you serious, no way, see you in a month!') Love people, but they still drain me.

I just think of introverts as more 'self-contained', in that their preference is for the inner world or the life of the mind as opposed to life in the outside world. <---- An extrovert or other introverts may want to tinker with that definition. As there are varying degrees of extroversion and introversion, may be hard to be any more specific about it.

This seems like one of the things that isn't true for everyone. Some extraverts would say they go into isolation when upset. Is it really as simple as "where you get your energy"?

^hmm, I think those may be two different things though.

I am energized and regroup by having alone time. Unscheduled do-whatever-I-want alone time. Not being interrupted by another person. If I don't have it, I become very unhappy! I know a lot of extroverts say they need this too, but I suspect they can go a lot longer without it. I need it at regular intervals regardless. I would imagine an extrovert can fit it in around their interactions with other people?? (Just guessing.)

I also prefer my own company when I'm very upset, though I try not to shut my partner out if they want to be around.

EDIT: Basically, I feel weird if I'm around people for too long or unrelentingly. I will crave alone time. I think an extrovert on the other hand will feel agitated if they are not around people for an extended period of time and will crave company.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
E=The desire to engage the world of people, directly or indirectly.
I=The desire to avoid the world of people.

N/T=The ability to get straight to the nits & grits & cut out the BS like I just did, for all of you. You're welcome.

ENTJ-girl

I'm an extrovert, and I don't necessarly enjoy all my social interactions/relationships but it does re-charge me. I love being in crowds and experience this life energy.

I always actually give the impression of being very introverted (and very reserved) but does not make me an introvert. Of course, it's people who bore me who get this impression.

:cool:

Nat

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is a very interesting thread... I'd like to see what others think of this as well. :smile:

I have tested as both an introvert and extrovert, but some of the responses from introverts makes me question again whether I am actually introverted...

I enjoy some time alone, but after an extended period I feel like I need to find someone to interact with. I enjoy going to places that are noisy and filled with people. I feel recharged when I'm with people I'm close to. Being on my own doesn't put me in a better mood than I was - in fact I think it often deteriorates into negativity.

On the other hand, I can feel a bit awkward and anxious with new people/people I don't know well (this does drain me) and I would much prefer spending time with family or my close group of friends than others. People think I'm somewhat reserved/quiet when they meet me but once I get to know them, I'm often talking a lot more than them.

Shy extrovert? More extroverted introvert? I'm confused... :17425:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
E=The desire to engage the world of people, directly or indirectly.
I=The desire to avoid the world of people.

What the hell does it mean if there are times the first fits and times the second fits along with times others energise me and times being alone energises?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverts are the ones who tend to leave parties first to go home. They are the ones who are perfectly happy saying nothing at work, just working by your side. They'll have a convo and probably chatter non-stop when engaged, but they are happy either way. They won't necessarily initiate though.
Introverts will never willingly speak up at a meeting.
They are the ones who take their time to speak, and often can't answer questions when put on the spot, especially after absorbing a decent amount of info. They'er still processing it.
Introverts are often the people who will say something regarding a previous conversation 3 hours ago, out of the blue.
Hope this helps some....at least in the people watching department. They might not necessarily be "quiet" and "shy" and standing off to the side when there's a bunch of people around.They can be in the thick of it. One other sign, often introverts are independent, that is won't necessarily wait for others to do something. It can be a subtle thing sometimes, especially, in older people and they have learnt how to camoflage to a degree. Hope this helps?
I like to be alone, so I can rearrange my thoughts, and hear myself think. I have a bit of monologue going in my head, and I can't always "hear" that when around other people. That may be a quirk of an INFP's empathy though. It's my way of touching base with my inner self, my thoughts and feelings. That's maybe why Fi is so hard to understand too, now that I come to think of, because often people see the beginnings of the thought process or gut reaction in the response "I don't like it" we haven't fully processed yet when we've had the gut reaction. It's not until we processed all the info at hand, can we begin to understand why we felt that way. Hope I haven't derailed the thread with that thought.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What the hell does it mean if there are times the first fits and times the second fits along with times others energise me and times being alone energises?
I'm like that too, I like company but I know I'm introverted by default because I need to escape at times, even if I enjoy the company. I just NEED to. It's like a physical sensation, like hunger or needing to pee.

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
Many, perhaps most, of the replies so far have not really given a definition of introversion, but a description of (some of) its aspects or symptoms, so to speak. Here is Dr. van der Hoop's discussion, in which I have emphasized what I think is the essential definition:

.... It was observed that some people, in the way in which they consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives, are almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world. Facts and, circumstances, the opinions and feelings of other people, and ideas in current use, determine the adaptations which these people make to life. When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world. Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types. Another group of people are guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events. They are peculiarly sensitive to these—to what they feel, how they think, about any situation. Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion. In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being. They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves. For this reason Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types.

A closer investigation shows us that we are here dealing, not with different character-structures, but with typical habits of emphasis, for in everyone we find both forms of adjustment, and it is impossible to say that the one form remains entirely unconscious while the other prevails in consciousness. Under certain conditions, everyone will consciously direct himself towards the external world, while under other conditions he will turn to himself for counsel. Introverted and extraverted states occur in everyone. The only difference is the fact that one person will feel more at home in the one state, while another will find the other more familiar. The extraverted individual will feel much more secure when in contact with other people than when alone. If he reflects too long by himself, everything becomes more confused than if he can guide himself by the opinions of others. The extravert will therefore prefer to maintain contact with others for as long as possible, and if he should find himself in an introverted state, he will soon escape from it. The reactions of others assume more precise and more differentiated forms in his consciousness than do his own.

With introverts, it is exactly the opposite. For them the introverted state is the safest and most agreeable. Alone with himself, the introvert knows exactly what he wants. In contact with others, he loses his sense of security. He finds it an overwhelmingly difficult task to assert himself and to express himself properly. When alone, he feels himself at ease; and when forced into contact with the external world, he has no regrets when the contact is broken and he may withdraw into himself once more. Since an individual of this type is more intensively in touch with himself than with others, he will know his own intentions relatively better than those of other people, and the activities of his own ego will be more differentiated in his mind than those of the external world....

Conscious Orientation: Jung's Psychological Types

IOW, introverts are people primarily oriented towards and guided by their own internal, subjective experiences and reactions.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
True for me. I don't really suffer without the company of others... though love spending time with the people I love. I like socializing, but I really don't need it. Explanation via e.g.: I went to a party recently I didn't know the hosts well (both extroverts) not at all shy about going alone. I talked with loads of different people until 8am the following morning. That afternoon they rang and wanted to do it again... ('are you serious, no way, see you in a month!') Love people, but they still drain me.
ha-ha! Love that! Excellent example of introversion.
I am energized and regroup by having alone time. Unscheduled do-whatever-I-want alone time. Not being interrupted by another person. If I don't have it, I become very unhappy! I know a lot of extroverts say they need this too, but I suspect they can go a lot longer without it. I need it at regular intervals regardless. I would imagine an extrovert can fit it in around their interactions with other people?? (Just guessing.)
I have experienced this as well. As a matter of fact, I discovered that if I don't get to be alone at all, for like a week, I will become deeply depressed and have suicidal thoughts.

I also prefer my own company when I'm very upset, though I try not to shut my partner out if they want to be around.

EDIT: Basically, I feel weird if I'm around people for too long or unrelentingly. I will crave alone time. I think an extrovert on the other hand will feel agitated if they are not around people for an extended period of time and will crave company.
Excellent post. Excellent description of E vs I.

This is a very interesting thread... I'd like to see what others think of this as well. :smile:

I have tested as both an introvert and extrovert, but some of the responses from introverts makes me question again whether I am actually introverted...

I enjoy some time alone, but after an extended period I feel like I need to find someone to interact with. I enjoy going to places that are noisy and filled with people. I feel recharged when I'm with people I'm close to. Being on my own doesn't put me in a better mood than I was - in fact I think it often deteriorates into negativity.

On the other hand, I can feel a bit awkward and anxious with new people/people I don't know well (this does drain me) and I would much prefer spending time with family or my close group of friends than others. People think I'm somewhat reserved/quiet when they meet me but once I get to know them, I'm often talking a lot more than them.

Shy extrovert? More extroverted introvert? I'm confused... :17425:
I think it's more likely that you are an extravert.

I have a 15 year old son who is an ENFJ and you sound like him.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Many, perhaps most, of the replies so far have not really given a definition of introversion, but a description of (some of) its aspects or symptoms, so to speak. Here is Dr. van der Hoop's discussion, in which I have emphasized what I think is the essential definition:

some people, in the way in which they consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives, are almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world. Facts and, circumstances, the opinions and feelings of other people, and ideas in current use, determine the adaptations which these people make to life. When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world. Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types. Another group of people are guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events. They are peculiarly sensitive to these—to what they feel, how they think, about any situation. Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion. In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being. They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves. For this reason Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types.

Conscious Orientation: Jung's Psychological Types

IOW, introverts are people primarily oriented towards and guided by their own internal, subjective experiences and reactions.
Thank you for that.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It depends on the company you're around, and extraversion isn't only limited to people. It's an outward focus on the external world. It applies to external activity in the outside world that is not associated with people, also. Take ENTPs for example. They're extraverted, but from what I've gathered, they're not extremely dependent on other people for energy. Their focus is on interaction with the outside world in general through their extraverted intuition.

One way introverts are described in one book I read was as having a "mind blank" effect in conversations. Other introverts may not experience this or may experience it on a different level. I know at least when I'm with strangers or a large crowd of people, it takes me 20 minutes just to formulate a complete thought. However, if I'm with my immediate family or close friends, I'm completely relaxed and just off in my own world or talking to them.

This is about people, though. There's also the disconnect from the outside world. I'd have to say that my mind is my first priority, and what's going on around me is second priority. Many times, I'm completely oblivious to what's going on around me because I need to think. Even at work, I have this constant barrage of customers, handling checkouts, and dealing with coworkers. At times, I'll notice myself completely missing something I was doing because I was lost in my thoughts.

The thing with the constant contemplation, though, is it is different for each type and their cognitive processes. Take an INxJ for example. Their brain is likely filled with constant new ideas. Me, an ISTJ, though? I'm constantly thinking about how to better control my life.

But, I always thought there was something wrong me, because I have absolutely no problem spending all day alone in front of my computer. It feels like freedom. Even at school, I can so easily just put on my headphones, walk to class, listen to the teacher, rinse and repeat until I go home. I wouldn't need to interact with someone else unless I really had to. I've had to learn how to force myself. It's not hostility toward other people, although sometimes it does turn into it. I just don't NEED the focus on the outside world.

As others have said, though, I fail at coming up with answers to questions on the spot. I always chalked it up as just a lack of social experience. I've learned from the MBTI though, that it isn't always being a social outcast. I've been able to make myself tell people lately, "Just give me a little bit to think about this." Like, for instance, my sister came in my room and asked me to sell something on ebay for her, and she wanted it carried out that instant. She's an ENFJ. She could probably do that, but I couldn't. I told her to wait. I needed a little bit to think about what we needed to do and how I wanted to do it.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Without reading any of the replies, I generally consider 'introversion' as any state of mind which has the characteristic of excluding external interaction or tends to ignore immediate external stimuli as part of its mindset. Sitting on a couch in the middle of a party, staring at the wall and thinking about how beautiful the woman across the room is... would be an introverted activity, IMO.

I just had an example (typed it in here, then erased it) involving computer/internet-based communication but it occurred to me that internet-based communication blurs the lines in some ways. A voice-chat, for instance, is something I'd consider an extraverted activity since it requires one to think in the realm of external interaction with someone else, whereas typing up an email to someone (who does not respond in real-time).... makes me wonder how blurry the line is between introversion and extraversion.

There are derivatives of this idea, such as an "Introverted point of view," which would refer to a POV one might glean while thinking in an introverted way.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Without reading any of the replies, I generally consider 'introversion' as any state of mind which has the characteristic of excluding external interaction or tends to ignore immediate external stimuli as part of its mindset. Sitting on a couch in the middle of a party, staring at the wall and thinking about how beautiful the woman across the room is... would be an introverted activity, IMO.

I just had an example involving computer/internet-based communication but it occurred to me that internet-based communication blurs the lines in some ways. A voice-chat, for instance, is something I'd consider an extraverted activity since it requires one to think in the realm of external interaction with someone else, whereas typing up an email to someone (who does not respond in real-time).... makes me wonder how blurry the line is between introversion and extraversion.

There are derivatives of this idea, such as an "Introverted point of view," which would refer to a POV one might glean while thinking in an introverted way.

Chatting on the internet is so introverted. Voice chat, though, no.