• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is introversion?

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Going with INTJMom's explaination, introverts recieve energy from those particular componenets, all of which take place within the self, in the internal world. Extroverts recieve energy from the things happening around them.

This is why introverts feel less energized around larger groups of people, due to the fact that they have to focus the energy they recieve to the extroverted world, which taxes their reserves. Contrastly, this is why extroverts don't have a problem with interacting with a greater number of individuals, due to their energy already directed outwardly.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
This is why introverts feel less energized around larger groups of people, due to the fact that they have to focus the energy they recieve to the extroverted world, which taxes their reserves.

I'd agree with this - in groups of people I dont feel completely comfortable with I have to concentrate very hard to interact (and deal with the nf thing of tapping into body language and subtleties of communication/feelings/motivations -which I wish I could turn off) - there feels little about it which is natural and without considerable effort - I never completely relax.

Contrast this with a friend I was on a course with last month who is an esfj - his communication with complete strangers (this time a waiter at the restaurant) is so natural - effortless and enjoyable and you can see him getting such a buzz out of it - I love him to bits but he wears me out.

We went out for a meal, had a laugh and a good evening - I went to bed a 11-00pm tired and ready for a bath and a half hour with a book - he stayed up until 2am drinking with the bar staff

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
But, could this explain why computers are so addicting for introverts? At least IxTx's? It's constant controlled self-contemplation.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
But, could this explain why computers are so addicting for introverts? At least IxTx's? It's constant controlled self-contemplation.

and its communicating with others where you are in control and its totally managable :yes:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
An introvert is energized by his or her own thoughts and ideas and is tired out from interaction with the world.
I believe that many people are a mixture of introversion/extraversion.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're human.

Darnit! I think I fail at determining the difference between the two now and was hoping you could clarify! With some people it's obvious but I don't even know about myself anymore :(

I have no idea what that's directed at but I'm totally sloshed so I'm gonna respond with :D and :wub: *cheesy grin*

An introvert is energized by his or her own thoughts and ideas and is tired out from interaction with the world.

So what does it mean in terms of MBTI if you're a mixture?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have no idea what that's directed at but I'm totally sloshed so I'm gonna respond with :D and :wub: *cheesy grin*

Guess that's what makes life liveable. To have no clue :D @miss "I dont know who I am"

lane777

nevermore
I think the definition of an introvert is a person who takes energy from being alone. I see introverts and extroverts like battery chargers that need a different kind of outlet to charge up in. Introverts need to be away from people to recharge. It's the solitude that they plug into. Extroverts use people to recharge, is the social energy that they plug into. That's how I see it at least. (example: I'm an introvert, when I'm upset or hurt I want to be alone. My father is an extrovert, when he's upset or hurt he wants people with him ALL THE TIME). ;)

Right on. I recently dealt with a tragedy, and the day of this tragic event, a bunch of friends came over to my place uninvited to "comfort"... almost put me over the edge.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ

...Are you admitting to an addiction? Well thats the first step, good for you. ;)

Nat

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think it's more likely that you are an extravert.

I have a 15 year old son who is an ENFJ and you sound like him.

Thanks for your input! :)

.... It was observed that some people, in the way in which they consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives, are almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world. Facts and, circumstances, the opinions and feelings of other people, and ideas in current use, determine the adaptations which these people make to life. When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world. Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types. Another group of people are guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events. They are peculiarly sensitive to these—to what they feel, how they think, about any situation. Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion. In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being. They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves. For this reason Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types.

I found this very useful - I very clearly identify with the description of an extrovert. The only problem is that I identify more with the descriptions of INFJs than ENFJs....

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Don't look at the descriptions as the determining factor. Decide using the function order. Probably best if you look at Ni and Fe and decide which has been with you since you were a young child, then decide which developed later on. There is a rather big difference between Fe children and Ni children I would think.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I just think of introverts as more 'self-contained', in that their preference is for the inner world or the life of the mind as opposed to life in the outside world.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. I've recently realised I'm more at the extreme end of introversion. Nearly everything I say has been thought through and examined carefully internally. My partner is also an introvert but less extreme - he thinks aloud a lot more than I do and I can't really picture what that's like.

As others have said, though, I fail at coming up with answers to questions on the spot.

Yep, same here. If someone at work comes up to me and asks a question that I need to think through, I tell them to let me think through it and I'll get back to them in a few minutes. (if it's something I know backwards, I can answer straight away though) I can process things pretty quickly in my mind but it needs to be done internally.

Occasionally I will talk through things with my ISTJ colleague if I get stuck and know I'm missing something. She's ideal for this because she's also very introverted and doesn't dominate the conversation, and her T is good for asking questions that help clarify the problem (she knows a bit about personality theories and gets what I'm doing when I talk through stuff with her).

I gain energy from people who I like and am comfortable with, usually people who think similarly to me...but isn't that true for everyone?

Not really. I don't get drained by people I'm comfortable with but I rarely get energy from them.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Simple question, so it leaves a lot of room for answers.

It seems like a lot of people on here don't know what introversion really is, including myself. Seems like every trait of an introvert has been scrutinized to the point that they lose all meaning. Is there really a definition to lump all introverts together?

An introvert person is someone not defined by the external world. They are defined from within... Damn that sounds hippie-like.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Not really. I don't get drained by people I'm comfortable with but I rarely get energy from them.

Thats really interesting, and it makes no sense to me at all. Would you say being around someone you are comfortable with is the same as being alone or no? It just seems like the energy either has to be coming or going with interactions.

An introvert person is someone not defined by the external world. They are defined from within... Damn that sounds hippie-like.

People are saying that introverts define themselves from their own thoughts and what is important to them. Extraverts define themselves by more external things. Don't extraverts have to take those external objects, internalize them, and make a concept of themselves? Am I confused or do these sound highly similar to each other?
Since you are an Extravert can you explain this "external process" of defining yourself?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Thats really interesting, and it makes no sense to me at all. Would you say being around someone you are comfortable with is the same as being alone or no? It just seems like the energy either has to be coming or going with interactions.

Hmm, not sure to be honest. I just don't feel particularly energised by interacting with people I'm comfortable with, but I don't feel particularly drained either. *shrug* Maybe I'm taking the being energised concept too literally? I'm not sure. One of my favourite things to do is just hang out with my partner, speaking a bit now and then, do stuff together or do our own thing in the same room. I usually find that restful and calming.

Nat

MBTI Type
INFJ
Don't look at the descriptions as the determining factor. Decide using the function order. Probably best if you look at Ni and Fe and decide which has been with you since you were a young child, then decide which developed later on. There is a rather big difference between Fe children and Ni children I would think.

Can you give some examples or links?

I can think of things that point to both, but Ni seems stronger.

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
Dr. van der Hoop wrote about that, too:

In saying this, it is obvious that contact with both the external world and the self are necessary factors in all living creatures. Even with animals this is evident. If they were to react to external stimuli only, they would become completely exhausted under certain conditions; while under other circumstances they would show no activity at all. If, on the other hand, they were to respond to inner needs without any regard to circumstances, they would probably soon perish. In man both influences are to be found in the conscious personality, but the distinctness with which their effects are seen varies considerably, according to whether the individual is predominantly introverted or extraverted.

Once this difference is recognized, there is usually little difficulty in finding extreme cases of the two types. There are outstandingly extraverted persons, who are almost exclusively led by impressions and impulses aroused in them from the outside. They are, as a result, lively and changeable, and they really do not know themselves at all. On the other hand, extremely introverted people entrench themselves against the external world, and after the slightest contact with it quickly withdraw into themselves again. They impress one as withdrawn and shy.

Even where the general attitude is less marked, it is usually possible, when things are difficult, to note which form of adaptation is the predominating one. The extravert, when uncertain, conforms to the opinion of other people, and immediately becomes more lively and freer in his activity. Under similar circumstances, the introvert is more inclined to withdraw into himself, seeking a solution there. The way in which they take life may also occasionally lead us to a correct diagnosis as to type. The extravert seeks, above all things, to remain in harmony with his environment; the introvert seeks harmony in himself.

Conscious Orientation: Jung's Psychological Types