• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is introversion?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Truth. I'm terrified to join vent. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say a thing. Never use my headset on Xbox Live either.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
But, I always thought there was something wrong me, because I have absolutely no problem spending all day alone in front of my computer. It feels like freedom. Even at school, I can so easily just put on my headphones, walk to class, listen to the teacher, rinse and repeat until I go home. I wouldn't need to interact with someone else unless I really had to. I've had to learn how to force myself. It's not hostility toward other people, although sometimes it does turn into it. I just don't NEED the focus on the outside world.

Exactly. I used to do that constantly...I had to force myself to stop, because I realized just how anti-social it was making me appear..

As others have said, though, I fail at coming up with answers to questions on the spot. I always chalked it up as just a lack of social experience. I've learned from the MBTI though, that it isn't always being a social outcast. I've been able to make myself tell people lately, "Just give me a little bit to think about this." Like, for instance, my sister came in my room and asked me to sell something on ebay for her, and she wanted it carried out that instant. She's an ENFJ. She could probably do that, but I couldn't. I told her to wait. I needed a little bit to think about what we needed to do and how I wanted to do it.

Yup....I've learned to just excuse myself for a couple minutes to think about it before answering/coming up with a solution.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Introversion:

[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7C-iEoArAc]There is Life Outside Your Apartment[/YOUTUBE]

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Another group of people are guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events. They are peculiarly sensitive to these—to what they feel, how they think, about any situation.

I've never heard this before. What a great find!

Most of you guys have given a lot of interesting personal accounts of what introversion is. Now, do you think introversion is a simple piece of personality or is it much more complex?

For instance, someone mentioned in here that being alone deteriorates their mood and someone thought that he might be extraverted instead. Is it really that simple? Why would a simple statement make that person an extravert instead?

I gain energy from people who I like and am comfortable with, usually people who think similarly to me...but isn't that true for everyone? I almost think the energy gaining thing to describe introversion and extraversion is too muddled. What do you guys think?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Introversion:

[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7C-iEoArAc]There is Life Outside Your Apartment[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, haha, this brings up another question. Is it typical for an introvert to go without social interaction on accident? Like "Oops, I forgot to brush my teeth." I find it hard to believe introverts can really be happy without any type of social interaction.... well maybe IxTxs can...

but the Introverted types with feeling seem incapable of it. They are usually the ones who get confused between being introverts and extraverts right? Why is this?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Oh, haha, this brings up another question. Is it typical for an introvert to go without social interaction on accident? Like "Oops, I forgot to brush my teeth." I find it hard to believe introverts can really be happy without any type of social interaction.... well maybe IxTxs can...

I definitely can. While it obviously can contribute to happiness, I can be perfectly happy without social interaction as well, even for pretty long periods of time. (Of course, I'm an ISTP..)

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

but the Introverted types with feeling seem incapable of it. They are usually the ones who get confused between being introverts and extraverts right? Why is this?

I usually see my close friends on a pretty regular basis. I avoid clubs and large parties and whatnot because that's not my cup of tea. Being an ISFP most people think i'm an extravert. Don't get me wrong I am very friendly.. outgoing, not so much. I'd prefer to be on my own and left alone if i'm in an unfamiliar environment.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
guess if you are caught completly naked, when coming out of the shower in front of the whole classroom and you start dancing and giving a show to join the laughter, you are definitly not Introvert :D

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Leave it to an ENTP to pull that off Entropie :nerd:

I like how an ISFP and ISTP posted right next to each other and there is such a difference. Hm...maybe the judging function is the dividing factor between what kind of introvert a person is..

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Leave it to an ENTP to pull that off Entropie :nerd:

I like how an ISFP and ISTP posted right next to each other and there is such a difference. Hm...maybe the judging function is the dividing factor between what kind of introvert a person is..

It could be...I think I took the test and said i'm 60% Introvert. And by getting together I don't mean going out and partying..just going out to dinner or a movie or hanging around and watching tv is all I need for interaction and i'm good.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think you probably already know that, but you always have to see the introverted/extroverted tags in MBTI different from the well-known words Extroversion and Introversion to the public.

Thinking for example always works the same way, it graps objects, objectivily and arranges them in linear terms. A Ti is as good as Te, as a Te is at Ti. He just prefers one think more. A Ti is for example more to himself with his thoughts, while a Te wants to bounce off the ideas from others, ultimatively changing the others, because he can be inclined to want to make them understand.

For example what Chris_in_orbit is doing here, is a bravour example of Te. You share the thoughts and summarize new things, so everyone can easily join the discussion.

Another thing prone to Ti for example is the ability to analyze things more easily through self-study. I myself for example have a long school career behind me and there are some things more to come. But I hardly have any books. Yet I managed to find out my way. Of course this only works with things you are good at and probably everybody knows that, because everybody has the abilities of all 8 functions.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Furthermore Te presents a concept that has a beginning and a end and is graspable to everyone who wants to read on it. If this thread is finished, it will be readable like a book.

Ti is more inclined to give out fragments of thoughts that bear no apparent connection to have a beginning or a end. Like my thoughts here, for example.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes it helps to say what something is not, as well as what it is.
From a post in another thread:

Jung calls these people outwardly directed, or extraverted types:

• consciously seek direction and adjustment in their lives almost exclusively guided by objects of the external world.

• Facts and, circumstances,
  • the opinions and feelings of other people, and
  • ideas in current use,
determine the adaptations which these people make to life.

• When in difficulty, they seek support first of all from the external world.

Jung called them inwardly directed, or introverted types:

• guided, in so far as conscious motives are concerned, by entirely different factors; they are primarily conscious of their own subjective reactions to events.

• They are peculiarly sensitive to these—

• to what they feel,
  • how they think, about any situation.
Where these reactions conflict, they seek to weld them into some sort of harmony of attitude and opinion.
In their adjustment to life they thus take as starting-point their own needs and the demands of their own being.
They also consult these when in difficulty, and for this purpose they withdraw into themselves.

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've seen that introverted people tend to need solitude to recharge, as opposed to the extroverted ones.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
so
intro = dark jedi
and
entro = good jedi
?! :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess extroverts eliviate solitude this way: :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbneJ-ydEI"]Free yourself :D[/YOUTUBE]