• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When is it type?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The way type manifests itself does, but not type in itself.

In other words, in theory it does. (Because if type "manifests" itself, it will be having an effect in some way on how interactions work.)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
It just means that INTP resembles the way my unconscious mind works. It has nothing to do with my personality.

So you think there is little to no overlap between your MBTI " type," your personality, and your temperament? You have those three things that strongly demarcated in your mind?

My concern was that if you try to apply typology to the external world too much you will actually forget that it is rooted in the unconscious after all. Its core is there, and not in the practical world.

I seem to remember several threads here and on INTPc where you attempted to do exactly that. Why do you do that, try to apply typology to the external world if you don't think it's revelant?

I am here to nourish my understanding of human nature. Most are under the delusion that MBTI will help them learn about their personality and that of others so they, Js especially, can stuff them into the neatly ordered boxes which they believe outline the way the whole world flows.

I'm totally against stuffing people in neat little boxes. And most people don't like to be stuffed into them either. They're quite cramped and uncomfortable. :)

Those who sell it to the corporate world are doubtlessly abusing it.

The corporate world is not the only place where MBTI is abused.

Which brings me back to my original question...when is type a legitimate explanation for behavior and when should other factors be considered?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Here is an example.

Bill says that he has tried to go sight-seeing along, and with a large group of people on several occassions. He is experienced at both. He can enjoy both..and he then says that despite that he found going out with a large group pleasurable, he still would prefer to be alone...he just finds the experience more enjoyable that way.

A typological explanation is that he is an introvert. Not that he cant gain energy from the outside, he is just naturally more comfortable taking it from within.

So this same character is 55 years old and is skilled at all of his functions. He could do chores and pay his bills neatly and on time and could take some pleasure in it, but he actually enjoys reading literature and philosophy more than that..there is just something thats within him that always made him gravitate towards the world to be imagined and not the world to be seen...Intuitor..

He can also do logic and enjoys pure reasoning and doing mathematics, but spent a lot of time volunteering as a counselor..and to this day ..despite him being good at logic..he is better energized by heart-felt stories and by reaffirming the feelings of others..he can give constructive criticism and solve their problems very well, but is naturally more at ease giving emotional support.. So he is an F..

And finally, he has tried out various lifestyles and a myriad of ways of doing things..he can handle going through routine and being spontaneous..and can be energized by both..but when he looks into his inner being he discovers that he is just more in himself when he doesnt plan and improvise along the moment..P

Hence..INFP is a set of his unconscious tendencies that could perhaps shape his personality..

His Introversion may get him interested in sitting back to think things through as opposed to acting out on them and may find himself hobbies that endorse such activities..and that can further shape his personality..

Since he is an Intuitor...he will naturally gravitate towards the theoretical and imagination instead of practical affairs like engineering, accounting, business administration...

He is a feeler, so this gets him interested in people..he may develop empathy and make a hobby of understanding people and perhaps volunteer as a couneslor or seek a career that deals with the human element..all of those things will shape his personality..

And his P will help him decide on how he is going to do things and get by his life...

So in short..type in itself only makes him attracted to certain external world activities because he is in natural affinity with them, but his personality is shaped out of what he does with his life..and not out of the unconscious tendencies in themselves...

If he does what is contrary to his unconscious tendencies..he wont feel in himself..like for instance..if he is forced to do a lot of detailed work or logic..he wont enjoy it and will find adapting to this stressful.and will be forced to seek activities that he is naturally more in tune with..so knowledge of your temperament inspires you to seek out what you were 'meant to do'...because if you dont..you then just know why you're not happy being where you are..simply because it goes contrary to your nature..

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In other words, in theory it does. (Because if type "manifests" itself, it will be having an effect in some way on how interactions work.)

Yes, your personality is shaped out of what you chose to do with your type.