• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is clear preference really desirable?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
For those types with X's in their type or for those who have weak preferences in the dichotomies, does it tear you apart when you see people who have very clear preferences for their type (like 100%)? Is it necessary to be confident of what type you are and do you constantly wonder about it?

I want to know if it is really the most ideal to be sure what your preferences are, or if there are advantages to not being sure.

When I first took MBTI almost 5 years ago I got ISTP. Then INTP. And then I was almost sure I was an INFP if not ISFP. And I scored ISFJ ISTJ INFJ INTJ along the way as well. I don't know if adolescence has anything to do with it (would it?), but it kind of drives me mad. Should it? Should I try to get a clear preference, or is it actually really awesome not to have a clear preference, or is it irrelevant?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I agree, as someone who is unsure of his own type- I don't think it is possible to have a 100% preference for a certain half of a dichotomy.

No human being is completely devoid of introversion or extraversion, sensing or intuition, thinking or feeling, and judging or perceiving. Unless, you are a Vulcan, :D

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I think no clear preference is desirable, makes you enigma-like and let's you fill in the blanks or even hybridize the types. Clear preference is only desirable for ease of have to decide "who you are" etc.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
For those types with X's in their type or for those who have weak preferences in the dichotomies, does it tear you apart when you see people who have very clear preferences for their type (like 100%)? Is it necessary to be confident of what type you are and do you constantly wonder about it?

I want to know if it is really the most ideal to be sure what your preferences are, or if there are advantages to not being sure.

When I first took MBTI almost 5 years ago I got ISTP. Then INTP. And then I was almost sure I was an INFP if not ISFP. And I scored ISFJ ISTJ INFJ INTJ along the way as well. I don't know if adolescence has anything to do with it (would it?), but it kind of drives me mad. Should it? Should I try to get a clear preference, or is it actually really awesome not to have a clear preference, or is it irrelevant?

All a "clear preference" really means is that you've read some good-quality literature on the subject of type and temperament, and you've given a lot of thought to which pattern fits you overall. It's the pattern that counts, not the details in the type descriptions, and not test results.

Adolescence probably makes finding your best fit type rather confusing, because you're already trying to establish an identity (regardless of type) and feel flexible enough to try on a number of different "ways of being".

I think whether or not you know your best type fit isn't something to be really concerned about to the point of feeling upset. But if you want to explore more about type, I highly recommend anything written by Linda Berens and/or Dario Nardi. Their writing seems to be the clearest, and their descriptions the most accurate (because they actually interview people of all 16 types and use those people's words in the descriptions, rather than relying on guesses or imagination).

www.bestfitttype.com. Check it out! :)

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
All a "clear preference" really means is that you've read some good-quality literature on the subject of type and temperament, and you've given a lot of thought to which pattern fits you overall. It's the pattern that counts, not the details in the type descriptions, and not test results.

Adolescence probably makes finding your best fit type rather confusing, because you're already trying to establish an identity (regardless of type) and feel flexible enough to try on a number of different "ways of being".

I think whether or not you know your best type fit isn't something to be really concerned about to the point of feeling upset. But if you want to explore more about type, I highly recommend anything written by Linda Berens and/or Dario Nardi. Their writing seems to be the clearest, and their descriptions the most accurate (because they actually interview people of all 16 types and use those people's words in the descriptions, rather than relying on guesses or imagination).

www.bestfitttype.com. Check it out! :)

Thanks~ I have been to that site many times, and it is one of the more helpful ones but I still find myself relating to a few different types, mainly a difference between NF and NT. I've read a lot of stuff from a lot of sites, over a good period of time, which is why I have chosen INFP, but I still don't show a clear preference for it consistently, so I don't think it has to do with that exactly.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

To be honest I think there are a lot of people who rather do not take typology adventures. It could only confuse them more.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, dammit. Pick one and get on with your life!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Typing doesn't matter as much as you as a person. I'd say showing clear preference does not matter unless you're interested in putting people in bins.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I have really clear preferences, and I think MBTI can be more interesting to those with some strong preferences.

I see a lot of people on this site changing their type frequently. I don't see how type preference can be that unclear, unless you really are near the 50/50 mark or if you don't understand your personality quite well enough.