• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how can you tell quickly a person is N or S?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
that is SO funny to me!! i mean...i know it's serious and everything but it's funny to me that people behave this way...i do totally...and how funny is that?
i love that and am totally going to be thinking of that now when i meet people haha
haha i love typing people. its just hard to explain to people how to do it. the other day i was chilling in GNC and i started talking to this kid about neuro science and i ended up explaining MBTI to him and i freaked him out by explaining how he thinks to him.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh that is funny!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Be more specific. As an ISTJ, I can surround you with hypothetical "what might happen if we do this?" questions. That doesn't mean I'm an N, just that I'm obsessed with preparation.

[YOUTUBE=BQxAicDlTJs]Gareth=ISTJ[/YOUTUBE]

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
What's the rush?

Exactly. Why not just gather data gradually, and notice patterns in their behavior that seem to fit more with one temperament than the others. And maybe ask them a few questions about their motives?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I start talking about hardcore-ly philosophical stuff. If the person takes active interest I give them a +1 N point.

I don't actually do this, but whatever. Typing people is wrong :yes:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
1. Look into ze eyes. Can you tell what they're thinking? If so, proceed to step two.

2. Are they thinking about what's around them, or what's not around them? If what's around them, S, if not, N.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's good jack. :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm surprised nobody brought this up... Quickest way is to ask. Are you familiar with MBTI? If so, are you a S or an N? :rolli:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most... is not all. Why try to figure it out yourself if somebody else has done the work already? Asking the question only takes 2 seconds.

Putting the cuffs on only takes about 3.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Failest way, because most aren't.
Most... is not all. Why try to figure it out yourself if somebody else has done the work already? Asking the question only takes 2 seconds.

If you're looking for a *quick* and (semi)accurate result, I'd have to think Nightning's point is well taken... just ask. Even a good observational method is too dependent upon the small sample size of data you have with which to make your decision. What if the person's preoccupied with something, or in a situation that's doesn't allow a nonbiased reaction? You just can't tell. Either get to know them a bit better, or ask.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
1. Look into ze eyes. Can you tell what they're thinking? If so, proceed to step two.

2. Are they thinking about what's around them, or what's not around them? If what's around them, S, if not, N.

I like this. it's simple, yet so effective for the first-guessing purpose :)
thank you.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I like this. it's simple, yet so effective for the first-guessing purpose :)
thank you.
It works too. Be careful though, because if you're not at work, SJs might be thinking about leaving to catch up on work.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm surprised nobody brought this up... Quickest way is to ask. Are you familiar with MBTI? If so, are you a S or an N? :rolli:
That's a good point.
I have been pleasantly surprised a couple of times.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

But isn't an extravert paying attention to their surroundings too? Or not?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
But isn't an extravert paying attention to their surroundings too? Or not?
It's what they're thinking about what's important. Everyone pays some attention to their surroundings, but Ns are obviously less concerned with the here and now.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

Oh, I don't know -- considering that 99% of the people who have ever been introduced to the MBTI think they prefer Intuition, maybe observing their actual behavior would be a better way to go. :rolleyes:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The humanmetrics test can get a lot of ST's mistyped as NT's because of the contemplation questions. An ST can find themselves exposed to a lot of N things out of interest, but it doesn't mean it comes as easily to them as it would for an N.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
The humanmetrics test can get a lot of ST's mistyped as NT's because of the contemplation questions. An ST can find themselves exposed to a lot of N things out of interest, but it doesn't mean it comes as easily to them as it would for an N.

Yeah, exactly --- another reason why it makes all the difference if you know why someone's interested in something. Anyone can get interested in a topic or pastime for any number of reasons. The reason WHY they continue to pursue certain interests tells you more about temperamental values and skills than WHAT they choose to do. :)