• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What about xxxx types?

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Okay I just had a friend I've known for a long time take the test. I would have pegged her as an INTx for sure but she's honestly the coldest and least emotional woman I've ever met so I would have called her in the 70% plus range on the N and T.

When I see results like this, I really don't know what to think about them. I guess a lot may come down to how honest the person is being with themselves.

Introverted (I) 51.28% Extroverted (E) 48.72%
Intuitive (N) 57.14% Sensing (S) 42.86%
Thinking (T) 51.43% Feeling (F) 48.57%
Perceiving (P) 53.13% Judging (J) 46.88%

Your type is: INTP

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The test measures preferences, not development. Preferences should be fairly stable over time in stable/differentiated individuals.

I guess this is where we disagree to some degree. I think tests aren't very accurate, especially if normal every day people who could possibly be biased are judging the results themselves. But all in all, I think the results measure both a preference and a basis in development. For the most part, I feel people do have a choice to act a certain way, or not, but also believe we have some innate qualities that are projected in how we handle ourselves and in our responses.

LT's take on the X:

Life always places us at a typological crossroads. Whenever we employ a function or attitude, we are axiomatically choosing against its opposite. In a very real sense, life pushes us to make this choice - and to grow and evolve as we contend with the consequences.

I agree with this, though even when "pushed by life" some people still choose to not grow and evolve.

Sometimes when people are just learning about type, they assume that the point of type development is perfect balance - that is, close scores in all type categories. It's worth noting, however, that in the realm of nature, perfect balance is not a good thing. A physical system reaches equilibrium when it has lost its energy and can no longer change.

Would you mind giving an example as to balance being a bad thing in the "realm of nature" please?

Insofar as type is concerned, close or even scores in a category (8/6 or 7/7) tend to suggest that the person hasn't developed a clear-cut sense of self. This is particularly true for people under 30. Such scores may also indicate that the demands of a relationship or career is pushing a person away from his or her usual experience.

For people over 35, close scores tend to indicate a period of transition. This is frequently the point in life when the ghosts of lost choices come back to haunt us, and the experience can result in test scores that are nearly even in every category. Close scores may also indicate and interior search - a quest for meaning and spiritual depth.

I also don't think these are the only two reasons as to why a person would call themselves, test, or act as an X type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay I just had a friend I've known for a long time take the test. I would have pegged her as an INTx for sure but she's honestly the coldest and least emotional woman I've ever met so I would have called her in the 70% plus range on the N and T.

When I see results like this, I really don't know what to think about them. I guess a lot may come down to how honest the person is being with themselves.

Introverted (I) 51.28% Extroverted (E) 48.72%
Intuitive (N) 57.14% Sensing (S) 42.86%
Thinking (T) 51.43% Feeling (F) 48.57%
Perceiving (P) 53.13% Judging (J) 46.88%

Your type is: INTP

I will often get results like that, all I can claim is I am as honest as I know how to be when I take tests but some tests are better than others. I find concise yet simple tests give the clearest results, the scores you linked in are no doubt from a long/complex one. I personally believe my preferences are considerably more defined than a lot of tests indicate.

I put it down to a few things, firstly God only knows if I’m INTP or INTJ, secondly I not only grew up surrounded by Fs but am female so T is something I’ve had to smother at times while trying to develop F, thirdly I’m comfortable in my own skin, this can skew my introversion score and lastly I prolly idealise the living in the momentness of S.

This is why I like the concept that Jack is working on, a few simple yet specific questions rather than a 20 minute marathon.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I've scored pretty close on all dichotomies except for E/I where I have a clear preference for introversion. I don't often believe I'm the best judge of my own behaviour and have a difficult time looking at it when answering questions. I don't tend to choose extremes unless I am sure of myself. Thus, I end up without a clear preference sometimes. There are some tests that are better than others I agree with Trinity. The reason why I finally settled on INFP was through the cognitive processes tests. However I think the problem doesn't lie just in tests, but also how the person takes the tests and their ability to objectively judge their own behaviour--that is a difficult thing to do. Also, if a person truly is perhaps well-balanced than I suppose that accounts for xxxx.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess this is where we disagree to some degree. I think tests aren't very accurate, especially if normal every day people who could possibly be biased are judging the results themselves. But all in all, I think the results measure both a preference and a basis in development. For the most part, I feel people do have a choice to act a certain way, or not, but also believe we have some innate qualities that are projected in how we handle ourselves and in our responses.
I haven't seen an MBTI-type test which could be said to measure cognitive development. I'm not saying they don't exist. It's true that preference often correlates with aptitude, but not always.

Would you mind giving an example as to balance being a bad thing in the "realm of nature" please?
If anti-matter and matter were in balance/symmetry, we wouldn't exist.

I also don't think these are the only two reasons as to why a person would call themselves, test, or act as an X type.
Undoubtedly. What other reasons can you think of?

I think of X as a hybrid, like a hybrid bike, for example. It is more versatile, but less specialized. Less likely to fail in any given terrain, but also less likely to excel. "Jack of all trades is master of none" type of deal.

redacted

Yeah I always score close in everything except N/S. In fact, most of the time I score on the T side and the P side.

All tests are flawed, and all nurture-situations are different.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...in the realm of nature, perfect balance is not a good thing. A physical system reaches equilibrium when it has lost its energy and can no longer change.

If anti-matter and matter were in balance/symmetry, we wouldn't exist.

I see...though not sure we should be comparing the mixing of psychological functions (non physical) to be like mixing anti-matter and matter leading to its annihilation, no offense.

Insofar as type is concerned, close or even scores in a category (8/6 or 7/7) tend to suggest that the person hasn't developed a clear-cut sense of self. This is particularly true for people under 30. Such scores may also indicate that the demands of a relationship or career is pushing a person away from his or her usual experience.

For people over 35, close scores tend to indicate a period of transition. This is frequently the point in life when the ghosts of lost choices come back to haunt us, and the experience can result in test scores that are nearly even in every category.Close scores may also indicate and interior search - a quest for meaning and spiritual depth.

Undoubtedly. What other reasons can you think of?
I believe in both having a "preference of use", a "habitual use" and an "innate use" of functions. "Preference of use" being a current choice of when, where and how to think or act at any given moment. "Habitual use" being a "preference of use" of a function that has been and is used continually. "Innate use" being a natural tendency and instinctual use of a function.

With that said, I think there are people that are fully conscious and aware of who they are and where they stand and yet want to achieve a balance within one's self by promoting growth and aspiring for self actualization (not annihilation via anti-matter/matter combining hehe). Growth and balance can slowly be achieved by exposing yourself to new things, different people, new environments, by challenging yourself, expanding your horizons, getting out of your comfort zone. Also by observing, learning and understanding you can achieve sympathy and empathy...perhaps it is easier for NFs to grasp this notion? Going through all those processes helps you see things from different perspectives and it helps you relate to others and may even change your views on things, therefore changing not just your response, but your reaction (how you process things).

I think of X as a hybrid, like a hybrid bike, for example. It is more versatile, but less specialized. Less likely to fail in any given terrain, but also less likely to excel. "Jack of all trades is master of none" type of deal.
I see what you're saying but...having use of one's functions is not a competition. We're talking about personality types here, everyone's different, aspires for different things and achieves different things. Being versatile may benefit me while living in a melting pot of cultures and personalities, while excelling at a certain function could help someone else stand out amongst a homogeneous crowd.