• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is part of our personality hidden from us?

wolfy

awsm
This was posted by ? a while back 
In their booklet “The 16 Personality Types: Descriptions for Self-Discovery”, Dr. Linda v. Berens and Dario Nardi said that there is a logic behind the names given in their system. The first word in the name is the inside view, how we often see ourselves and what others don’t see. The second word in the name is the outside view, how others see us and what we may not see in ourselves. Thus as an Analyzer Operator, I see the Analyzer (one who examines methodically by separating into parts and studying their interrelations) in myself, however I am oblivious to the Operator (one who operates a machine, apparatus, or the like). As such others may see us highly capable of operating tools but we do not see it in ourselves, resulting in non-relation to that aspect of who we are.

This is most likely the case of all introverted types resulting in INTPs seeing the Designer but not the Theorizer, INFJs seeing the Forseer, but not the Developer and so on.

I would agree. I am ISFP and can see Composer but not Producer. In fact I often beat myself up over not being productive enough.

People have sometimes mentioned there is a part of me I cannot see.
So I'm curious can you see the second word in yourself?

Here is the list of names.
ESTP Promoter Executors
ESFP Motivator Presenters
ESTJ Implementor Supervisors
ESFJ Facilitator Caretakers
ENTJ Strategist Mobilizers
ENTP Explorer Inventors
ENFJ Envisioner Mentors
ENFP Discoverer Advocates
ISTP Analyzer Operators
ISFP Composer Producers
ISTJ Planner Inspectors
ISFJ Protector Supporters
INTJ Conceptualizer Directors
INTP Designer Theorizers
INFJ Foreseer Developers
INFP Harmonizer Clarifiers

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
Sounds a bit like the theory behind Johari Wondow...

Wikipedia link

As ESTP I can actually see both descriptors in my personality...

(although I wonder which definition of "executor"they mean :D)

In case it may well be that I have tried to learn a lot about the strenghts and weaknesses of my type so I am able to recognise the descriptors.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting...i don't know if others see me the same as i see myself...but that reminds me of an old boss who i was kind of arguing with in defense of someone else...and he said what are you...her advocate...and i was like no...i'm just blah...blah...but actually at the time i didn't even know what it meant!! that's embarrassing but true...i was young...but since then...i actually do sometimes notice when i'm doing it.

i sometimes feel like people can't express their point in a way that the person they are talking to will understand...i feel like i get where they are both coming from and i typically don't have a strong opinion about it but feel the need to help them communicate effectively...so yeah...i guess i am that way.

wolfy

awsm
interesting...i don't know if others see me the same as i see myself...but that reminds me of an old boss who i was kind of arguing with in defense of someone else...and he said what are you...her advocate...and i was like no...i'm just blah...blah...but actually at the time i didn't even know what it meant!! that's embarrassing but true...i was young...but since then...i actually do sometimes notice when i'm doing it.

i sometimes feel like people can't express their point in a way that the person they are talking to will understand...i feel like i get where they are both coming from and i typically don't have a strong opinion about it but feel the need to help them communicate effectively...so yeah...i guess i am that way.

So you can see the discoverer part?

G

garbage

People have sometimes mentioned there is a part of me I cannot see.
So I'm curious can you see the second word in yourself?
ENTJ Strategist Mobilizers

I definitely see both. We can't help but mobilize and coordinate others ;)

I do think that our outward appearance may reflect a part of us that we can't see about ourselves, though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you can see the discoverer part?

yeah for sure...it's my favorite...it's what i live for...adventure and discovery...never ending quest to find the meaning and/ or beauty in things...yep. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so maybe cuz the extroverts are extroverting the behavior and get external feedback we can see it but an introvert might not?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
INFP Harmonizer Clarifiers

The only thing that comes in mind about clarifying is when there is a debate kind of situation, and one of the sides debates with huge amount of info about the subject, I am usually able to see the core through the unrelated or trivial things and often able to dig it out for the other people. I'm not sure if this is what it is supposed to mean.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Planner--yes
Inspector--yes

Both pretty obvious. (submits his data)

Last edited:

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
this is looking into it waaaaay too much (though obvious within thinking about it for a more than a minute), i think environment would have quite an effect on this list. and to answer the title question, yes, its not that its hidden it just doesn't manifest itself consciously.

kinda reminds me of freudian psychology

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Wow, that's cool
I see the motivator, big time. But no one has ever said, "boy, you get people motivated." I don't think they see it.
I don't know if I see/people see presenter. Thats a broad word. Presenting what?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Dinner????
I produce the food... you present it????
(I'm way too food oriented...)

:blush:

Wow, that's cool
I see the motivator, big time. But no one has ever said, "boy, you get people motivated." I don't think they see it.
I don't know if I see/people see presenter. Thats a broad word. Presenting what?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I feel more of an inspector than a planner. If I had to choose it from the way others view me and how I view myself, I'd choose Analyzer Planner. That sounds more like me.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was thinking an inspector was a kind of analyzer. Though now I'm heading off-topic.

Last edited:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Maybe it means you're well-rounded?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm sure each word is referring to the dominant and auxiliary processes, and how they manifest in your specific type.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
INFJ Foreseer Developers

I definitely see both in myself. But the first seems to definitely be dominant. I'm hoping later in life I will be able followup my ability to "foresee" with the ability to "develop" more easily.

The first trait seems more passive and the second trait is active.