• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cell phone conversations

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm just wondering this after observing a lot of people lately talking on their phones in public. I've never liked having phone conversations with other people around. To me, if I'm talking to someone on the phone, it's private! Is this more of an introvert thing?

What are you guys like talking on the cell phone in public? Is there a correlation to preferences with something like this?

Atomic Fiend

I don't really care, I try to focus on the person on the other end of the line. In public places when I'm on the phone you'll notice I'll have one finger in my other ear, and my eyes toward the ground.

beth21

MBTI Type
EN_P
Enneagram
7or6
I usually won't answer the cell in public places. If I do, I'll be hidden in a corner so that it feels more private and always score E over I. I can't stand hearing someone's one-sided conversation in public.

am_i_evil666

I don't think it's an introverted thing. I don't like to talk to my cellphone in public, as it's personal and I don't want everyone to hear what I'm saying. Plus that I always get the sensation that some people are eavesdropping at my conversation. But I don't mind it that much either.

redacted

I hate it when people can hear what I'm saying, so I usually tell the person I'll call them back once I have a bit of privacy.

It's not even that I'm embarrassed about what I'm saying; I just don't like forcing my own information down other people's throats.

(But I guess I usually shield my posts from the people around my computer, too...hmm...must be something deeper...)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
hah, I'm the same way, I feel really nervous when I talk on my phone when others are in ear shot..

MBTI Type
INxJ
I dislike cellphones in general. The stupid ring-tones and baubles. The people that speak loudly on them.

I rarely pick up my phone, so speaking in public is never a problem for me.

G

garbage

I answer in public if it's already somewhat noisy or just plain expected. In many public places, I figure nobody gives a damn about my conversation anyway, so I have no reason to try to hide it. I don't exactly yell over the phone, though; I keep quiet so as not to disturb anyone else.

I never answer when I think it's rude, such as when I need to check out groceries or when I'm with other company. My phone's always set to vibrate, too, but that's more of a personal preference.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Last Spring I was in a large city alone and it was late in the evening. I stepped into an elevator alone and on the next floor a man got in. I glanced over to check him out safety-wise and then looked away.

In a few moments he said in a low voice, "What are you looking for?"

I didn't look at him and answered somewhat curtly, "Just the first floor."

When we arrived at the first floor I noticed that he had a cell phone to his ear! Oh. Nevermind. Pulse returns to normal. . .

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I hate talking on the phone in public. (Actually, I don't really like talking on the phone at all usually, to my girlfriend is the only one conversations usually last more than a minute with.) To me, it's a personal type thing, and I prefer talking in private, if at all.

I have never used the ringer on any of the three phones I've had, always on vibrate.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate answering my phone in public and I almost never speak to someone on my cell phone in public. It just seems incredibly AWKWARD to talk to someone else about something private with a bunch of people around potentially listening (and yes- I do listen in on other people's phone conversations in public! :devil:)

I absolutley never answer my phone when out with other people because that's just plain rude.

Though, like evan, I also hide my monitor from others when typing online or even reading things online- I just don't like other people getting all up in my business :nono:

And I'm pretty damned extroverted as well...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
if i know its gonna be a deep convo i want it to be private, if its a whatever conversation i could care less

LucrativeSid

I hate talking on the phone in public. I highly doubt it's an introvert thing. Extroverts might care less about it in general, but for different reasons.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm just wondering this after observing a lot of people lately talking on their phones in public. I've never liked having phone conversations with other people around. To me, if I'm talking to someone on the phone, it's private! Is this more of an introvert thing?

What are you guys like talking on the cell phone in public? Is there a correlation to preferences with something like this?

Yea agree. If I'm in public I tend to make my sentences become slightly vaguer or I avoid saying the person on the other end's name, haha, as a strange way to keep private my conversation.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I don't really worry about talking on the phone in public. But I do think it's funny to listen to some conversations - some people talk so loudly! At college, as soon as everyone gets out of class they've got the phone to their ear looking as if they've got some serious business to attend to. And then they open their mouths and it's about the most mediocre thing you've ever heard:

"Yo dude! Just got outta class. I'm walking."

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
At college, as soon as everyone gets out of class they've got the phone to their ear looking as if they've got some serious business to attend to. And then they open their mouths and it's about the most mediocre thing you've ever heard:

"Yo dude! Just got outta class. I'm walking."
:laugh:

I hate having to listen to them. In fact, I'll start answering the person's voice sometimes. They look over annoyed like "You're interrupting my train of thought" and that's when it hits them....on a delayed basis....yeah.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i always go outside or in another room to talk on the phone and i absolutely will not answer it and talk to someone if i have someone over...unless maybe they are otherwise engaged for a bit.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I usually don't want to talk on the phone to begin with but if I'm in a situation where it wouldn't be rude to answer and the conversation isn't private I don't care where I am. Chances are high that I won't answer to begin with though.