• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

can Introverts ever beat Extroverts in being 'social' ?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
An extrovert would have to be pretty hated to only be able to talk to one person at a party. I've never seen it happen.
It's because at the last party, they talked to everyone! yuk yuk

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha...and i didn't mean for that to sound obnoxious...it kinda did...just sayin i like to talk to people and stuff...haha

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think being social is actually part of being extrovert. I mean not all extroverts are social even if they like interaction with people.

I need to find a good definition of being social now....

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
lol. That's not supposed to be a definition of social.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
lol. That's not supposed to be a definition of social.

Probably not but I put it there because I couldn't find any better. Any you know me - not very patient person to find anything. :newwink:

Please find a better definition. I deleted that one...soon....already.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
with close friends and family yes I can be - but I do find it very tiring
I went out with for sister in law's birthday with brother and family and friends on sat night - had great time and was very sociable and got really tipsy
felt tired all day sunday (partly the drink and overeating) and partly just worn out by overstimulation
extrovert brother however carried on till 4 in morning and came around on sunday to carry on!! Left him with kids and took the dog out - dogs give you some great excuses

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I was being a smartass, but yeah, it is situational. Although I think we could break it down further and say that the introvert went to two parties but only staid for one hour at each one, while the extrovert went to one party for the whole night and into the next day. Lol.

Staid? Given the nature of the thread, I did spit my tea on the keyboard.

Though to be fair, it is an obsolete form of stayed.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Currently, I bet most introverts would kick my ass at being social.

I have been particularly hermit-like these past few months.
agreed with CC on both the ass kicking part and the hermit part

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I can overwhelm extraverts, but only really under the effects of lots of caffeine and sugar. It throws me way over the edge, causing me to lose all regard for the people around me.

I was running around Wal-Mart the other day shopping with my ESFJ mother, picking things up, calculating in my head on the go, and just constantly moving. I just moved past everyone...very quickly. It wasn't really "social," per se. I was just quick and to the point in every conversation. If people dawdled, I just formulated a solution on the spot and moved on. No time for you to just stand there staring!

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
definitely... personally speaking, ive spent most of my life observing rather than talking, i think that has allowed me to better understand patterns of human behavior, which can be advantageous.

if i had to guess, i would say introverts are more likely to be overwhelmed by large groups of people, but excel and may even surpass the supposed natural social aptitude of extroverts in more intimate settings

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When introverts extrovert, they are social.

When extroverts introvert, they are asocial.

Also, extroversion is not exclusive to human interaction, but systems and objects, as well. For example, reading or watching television tends to be more attractive to introverts, because it's passively taking data in. Playing video games or sports, on the other hand, is a more extroverted activity, since it's interactive.

Extroverts tend to be talkative, risk-taking, energetic, etc. Note how this isn't equivalent to social skills or even being social. (Many extroverts simply like to hear themselves talk.) It just means you direct your energy outward.

Introverts tend to be better listeners and take things in. This is also important in socializing.

I'd say that a social master is most likely the ambivert; a perfect balance of talking and listening.

Silence11

MBTI Type
INFP
When I'm in a social environment where I feel comfortable, I doubt most people would type me as an introvert. I can come across very extraverted at times.

It seems to me that introverts can be very social people - something that I think is often misunderstood. I don't think that introverts are necessarily quiet or shy, they just require their own personal time away from people.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
extroversion is a myth. Extroverts are probably not even aware of the extrovert introvert classification. It is probably just a word invented by introverts (people who don't talk alot and feel left out).

There are people who like to divide people into categories, and there are those that don't.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
extroversion is a myth. Extroverts are probably not even aware of the extrovert introvert classification. It is probably just a word invented by introverts (people who don't talk alot and feel left out).

There are people who like to divide people into categories, and there are those that don't.
heh if you really believe this then your on the wrong forum lol

though there is some truth/danger in that (dividing people into categories)

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
What does one call an extrovert with a social disorder?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I dunno. I only start talking to people after I've exhausted all other options.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1

Oh my god. Some extraverts are unaware of a lot of things. They can only live supposing everyone is like that.

I mean, seriously, you can't mean this?