• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology and Us

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Astrology is made up just like global warming.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since I am who I am, I will post one of my old posts.

Here are the reasons why I think that entire thing is nonsense.

1. If you land on Mars what will you do with the Earth that is flying around the sky?

2. What will you do if you are in orbit around the other planet? Since you are so close that this would mean that the planet could be in few constellations that are behind it, does that mean that you get the multiple bonus?

3. People that are in the different parts of the solar system would see same planet in a different constellation. Would that mean that it would be smart to move around the solar system so that you always have the best possible combination?

4. If you go far enough from the plane(s) in wich planets are moving you will get into a sitation that none of the planets are falling into a constellations in wich they should be falling. Does that mean that astrology no longer works for you and the place where are you?

5. If you go out of the solar system you will leave it behind. So one of the possibilitys is that all planets will be in one of the 12 important constellations or in none of them. If they fall in one of 12 of them that should mean that some directions in space will be better for you. If family member or a friend that goes with you is born in a wrong part of the year that would mean that for him of her the trip would be damnation. (what will probably make you unhappy)

6. Stars are moving all the time so with time the constellations we know will fall apart. What will we do then?

7. Why nobody counts planets around the other stars?

8. If you live in another star system that is very far away would that mean that person could create new constellations to live and rely on them?

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Here is mine!
It is PRETTY accurate. Tho I did already change some "bad things" mentioned there. That's why I said pretty accurate. =)

Click meh!

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. If you land on Mars what will you do with the Earth that is flying around the sky?

I don't understand what and why your asking.

2. What will you do if you are in orbit around the other planet? Since you are so close that this would mean that the planet could be in few constellations that are behind it, does that mean that you get the multiple bonus?

[Western] astrology is not based on constellations, but seasons. The vernal equinox begins Aries, the first sign, every year.

See number two.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't believe in astrology... they make great mythological stories but that's about it for me.

[Western] astrology is not based on constellations, but seasons. The vernal equinox begins Aries, the first sign, every year.
That depends on us being on earth no? What if people relocated to a different planet? Does these things still hold true?

I think antisocial's point is that people will be people... regardless of whether we're on earth or not. If we somehow colonized a different planet does our personalities change? It shouldn't... but according to astrology, it will.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Heh, it's funny how this thread was meant for people to post their birth-charts and how now people rather discuss about wheter astrology is real or not, especially since there already IS a thread for that. ^^°°°

I said nothing. =P

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we somehow colonized a different planet does our personalities change? It shouldn't... but according to astrology, it will.

If you were born on Earth, then no, it doesn't change (who knows what would happen if humans were born on another planet). Natal astrology is based on where and when you were born. Did you read somewhere that it would change?

Heh, it's funny how this thread was meant for people to post their birth-charts and how now people rather discuss about wheter astrology is real or not, especially since there already IS a thread for that.

Oh, I thought it was for discussing astrology as well.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
*lol* Yeah probably it is. Tho I think the first Thing was to post the chart and some "Ad" for Thursdays Astro-Group.
Besides, you did fine. I mean you just reacted to what others started. =P

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
If you were born on Earth, then no, it doesn't change (who knows what would happen if humans were born on another planet). Natal astrology is based on where and when you were born. Did you read somewhere that it would change?
That's even worse! What forces may these "heavenly bodies" have that can affect our personality and behavior? Gravitational attractions? *shakes head* It's forer's effect.

That previous thread should have stayed dead. If it's allowed to be resurrected, why not disagreement with the notion of astrology? Unless you see the need of starting a new thread for that. Which I don't...

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
That's even worse!
Man why do people take Astrology THAT seriously? Seriously, you guys? o.o

Look, Astrology is like everything else. Humans have studied people, they noticed some patterns among the same zodiac signs and then they made a chart for it. Nothing else happened with MBTI, right? So why do you guys get so upset about this?
Personally, I don't get it. I mean, you guys shouldn't mistake Astrology with Esoteric or random Mumbo-Jumbo. :shock:

If I look at my personal birth-chart up there, it is freaking exact, cept for the stuff I changed on purpose about myself. I see no difference whatsoever to MBTI. What is this about? Only because MBTI was made by a psychologist or what? Cool down? *gives everybody a chill-pill* :thelook:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Man why do people take Astrology THAT seriously? Seriously, you guys? o.o

Look, Astrology is like everything else. Humans have studied people, they noticed some patterns among the same zodiac signs and then they made a chart for it. Nothing else happened with MBTI, right? So why do you guys get so upset about this?
Personally, I don't get it. I mean, you guys shouldn't mistake Astrology with Esoteric or random Mumbo-Jumbo. :shock:

If I look at my personal birth-chart up there, it is freaking exact, cept for the stuff I changed on purpose about myself. I see no difference whatsoever to MBTI. What is this about? Only because MBTI was made by a psychologist or what? Cool down? *gives everybody a chill-pill* :thelook:
But it is mumbo jumbo! That's why I don't understand why people swear by it. It's the same as people who think crystal filtered/ uv irridated/oxygenated water makes you healthier. :steam:

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I like how when Pluto was no longer a planet, and astrologists still maintain that it has some importance.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nightning, what do you actually know about astrology that brings you to the conclusion that it's mumbo-jumbo?

Penelope, whether Pluto is regarded as a planet by astronomers or not has no bearing on its uses in astrology. Something doesn't have to be a planet or not be a planet to be useful or have meaning in chart. Astrologers look at some asteroids, for example.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Nightning, what do you actually know about astrology that brings you to the conclusion that it's mumbo-jumbo?

Penelope, whether Pluto is regarded as a planet by astronomers or not has no bearing on its uses in astrology. Something doesn't have to be a planet or not be a planet to be useful or have meaning in chart. Astrologers look at some asteroids, for example.

Hmmmm
Astrology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions: Astrology

redacted

Astrology is silly. As long as you keep this in mind, I could see it being somewhat fun.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Those articles prove the authors don't get it, and that's about all.

What's funny to me is astrologers also say MBTI is mumbo-jumbo, because how could you possibly describe all the ways that people are using only four letters. See? Obvious they have not actually read anything, they don't know about all the functions, they have not experimented themselves. If you know your stuff, you can guess other people's types with decent enough accuracy to prove that there's something to it. People who have studied astrology can do similar things.

I want to say that it's also just trite to put astrology down as a way to demonstrate intellectual superiority. I suppose it depends on your audience, but all astrologers get out of that is that you don't know what you're talking about or you don't get it, so it's not persuasive. If you were not looking to persuade, then the other purpose would be to put the study of astrology down or insinuate something not flattering about astrologers' intelligence, maybe, and ... why? People have found value in astrology for centuries. Just because it doesn't speak to you doesn't mean it can't speak to anyone.

ok end rant but I just get so tired of reading that stuff right off the bat, it's so discouraging.

Evan, I could go with "silly" -- do you know what time you were born? We could play around with your chart and see what comes up...

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's even worse! What forces may these "heavenly bodies" have that can affect our personality and behavior? Gravitational attractions? *shakes head* It's forer's effect.

It's not that the planets affect our behavior. That is what people who have not researched astrology think. Astrology is based on the principle of synchronicity -- the positions of the bodies reflect the qualities of a moment in time, as does anything born at that time. The positions are simply used to show what happened at that point in time; it's not causal.

nightning said:
That previous thread should have stayed dead. If it's allowed to be resurrected, why not disagreement with the notion of astrology? Unless you see the need of starting a new thread for that. Which I don't...

You can disagree with the notion of astrology. I just personally would not feel comfortable taking a position on something that I really know nothing about. I would want to know what exactly I am trying to challenge. So in case others would like to know more in order to form an opinion on it, instead of automatically saying "Astrology is bunk," from the little and inaccurate information they know, I'll be glad to share all I can. After all, many people who seriously study astrology began with the goal of disproving it, including myself.

What's funny to me is astrologers also say MBTI is mumbo-jumbo, because how could you possibly describe all the ways that people are using only four letters.

Most astrologers I know are interested in learning MBTI, if they haven't already learned about it. Even if they have no interest in learning, they at least keep an open mind. Astrologers, it seems, are not likely to dismiss things right off the bat seeing as that is what many people do when it comes to astrology. I was actually introduced to MBTI by two astrologers (ENTP and INTP, fwiw). Jung did arrive at the idea of the temperament models and personality types from astrological archetypes. So dismissing one and not the other doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, even if I can understand in theory why people do.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Those articles prove the authors don't get it, and that's about all.

What's funny to me is astrologers also say MBTI is mumbo-jumbo, because how could you possibly describe all the ways that people are using only four letters. See? Obvious they have not actually read anything, they don't know about all the functions, they have not experimented themselves. If you know your stuff, you can guess other people's types with decent enough accuracy to prove that there's something to it. People who have studied astrology can do similar things.
Let me explain why the two are different. MBTI is a model for describing behavior. It's a category scheme. Because your personality is such, you are a certain type. Not like astrology saying because you're born a specific type, your personality MUST BE this.

I'm okay with categorical descriptions, because that's how our minds work. We like to think of things as belonging to groups. But categorizing is not the same as causal relationships. If you're saying A causes B, which is what astrology is claiming. Then you must provide proof for the claim. There is no proof. That's why it's termed "pseudoscience"... the polite word for mumbo jumbo.

I want to say that it's also just trite to put astrology down as a way to demonstrate intellectual superiority. I suppose it depends on your audience, but all astrologers get out of that is that you don't know what you're talking about or you don't get it, so it's not persuasive. If you were not looking to persuade, then the other purpose would be to put the study of astrology down or insinuate something not flattering about astrologers' intelligence, maybe, and ... why? People have found value in astrology for centuries. Just because it doesn't speak to you doesn't mean it can't speak to anyone.
What is not persuasive? I'm not here to demonstrate superiority or saying astrologers aren't intelligent. I'm saying they're just misguided in their believes.

People over the centuries have found meaning in a lot of things. For example the ancient Greeks, Romans, Celts came up with mythological stories to try to explain why things are the way they are. Like the sun raises every day because Apollo rides his chariot across the sky. This is clearly wrong, but the ancient people buy it because there's nothing else to believe in.

That's not true for the present day. We do know why personalities are they way they are. Half of it is genetics, the other half environmental. Astrology is as wrong as mythology. It might be entertaining (I do enjoy those stories), but it's false. And to advertise something like that as true is ridiculous.

It's not that the planets affect our behavior. That is what people who have not researched astrology think. Astrology is based on the principle of synchronicity -- the positions of the bodies reflect the qualities of a moment in time, as does anything born at that time. The positions are simply used to show what happened at that point in time; it's not causal.
You're saying people can influence planetary movements in any significant way? A causes change in B is what "causal" means. Synchronicity occurs when two bodies influence (change) the movement of one another. What if you get two babies born in the same hospital at the same time? It happens, but does that mean their personalities will be the same? I'm sorry, that doesn't fly for me.

You can disagree with the notion of astrology. I just personally would not feel comfortable taking a position on something that I really know nothing about. I would want to know what exactly I am trying to challenge. So in case others would like to know more in order to form an opinion on it, instead of automatically saying "Astrology is bunk," from the little and inaccurate information they know, I'll be glad to share all I can. After all, many people who seriously study astrology began with the goal of disproving it, including myself.
*chuckles* But I have attempted to look at my and other people's star charts (as indicated in the previous thread). The information given contradicts itself and is so vague and generalized that it's Forer's effect even if people agree with the readings. It's how the mind works... sharpening and leveling. We focus on the parts we identify with and gloss over the "unimportant". Even though the "unimportant" is often times as, if not more, telling than the other parts.

Most astrologers I know are interested in learning MBTI, if they haven't already learned about it. Even if they have no interest in learning, they at least keep an open mind. Astrologers, it seems, are not likely to dismiss things right off the bat seeing as that is what many people do when it comes to astrology. I was actually introduced to MBTI by two astrologers (ENTP and INTP, fwiw). Jung did arrive at the idea of the temperament models and personality types from astrological archetypes. So dismissing one and not the other doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, even if I can understand in theory why people do.
Whether astrologers learn about MBTI or not has nothing to do with validity of astrology. I'm actually quite open minded about most things, it's after I've examined something and see that it doesn't make any sense that I tell people it doesn't work. Even after everything you've said I don't see anything that matches with/can be used based on my experiences... (other than to further validate my understanding that people will argue their view points but they're horrible in letting go of something even when it's false. Which means the best way to get somebody to agree with you is to stick it to them prior to them forming a judgment on the topic. But I digressed.)

Jung came up with an interesting theory of cognitive functions, but no he did not come up with the 4 temperament model. That's been around from before his time. Heck the ancient chinese had that forever. They use it to explain why their medicine works and how people can get illnesses. But again, it's like using mythology to explain events. Whether MBTI (which is only based on Jung's theories) is also convoluted based on astrological signs or not has nothing to do with validity. Take Freudian theories... it's plain unfalsifiable... the psychology community does not consider it as science. But it's always mentioned in intro psyc textbooks because it's history that leads to the development of modern psychology.

My believe is that it's okay to base something on a theory that's incorrect. But it's not okay to say a theory is true despite all the evidence against such theory. I've rambled on too much. Let's leave it at that.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, if you don't mind, just for my own curiosity, I would like it if you'd say whether or not you have ever actually studied astrology, made a chart and tried to read it.

Then I'd be happy to leave it at that.