• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Q: Dominant third or inferior

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
A question. Are there people that use the third or inferior function of their personality (sub)dominantly and would that be called something else than introversion or extraversion?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A question. Are there people that use the third or inferior function of their personality (sub)dominantly and would that be called something else than introversion or extraversion?

The third and fourth functions are used in whatever quadrant they're assigned to.

To those traditionally called Introverts (i.e., the primary is an introverted function = Xi rather than Xe), the third function will also be introverted, Yi, and the inferior is extroverted, Ze.

For extroverts, the tertiary is extroverted and the inferior is introverted.

(Was that your question?)

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
The third and fourth functions are used in whatever quadrant they're assigned to.

To those traditionally called Introverts (i.e., the primary is an introverted function = Xi rather than Xe), the third function will also be introverted, Yi, and the inferior is extroverted, Ze.

thanks Jennifer - I think I'm understanding this better now (I havent done that much reading around mbti) So INFP is introverted feeling extroverted intuition, extrovertd sensing and introverted thinking?:confused:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks Jennifer - I think I'm understanding this better now (I havent done that much reading around mbti) So INFP is introverted feeling extroverted intuition, extrovertd sensing and introverted thinking?:confused:

No, the last two are wrong. Should be:
Fi + Ne + Si + Te

Basically your two perceiving functions (S and N) and your two judging functions (F and T) have to be aimed in opposite directions to the other in the pair, otherwise they'd naturally conflict.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
thanks - i will know what folk are going on about now! :newwink:

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
No that wasn't my question... Well you helped bronte at least :)

What I meant was hypothetically what if someone, say INTP, uses (in that case) Si or Fe in an almost dominant fashion.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
No that wasn't my question... Well you helped bronte at least :)

What I meant was hypothetically what if someone, say INTP, uses (in that case) Si or Fe in an almost dominant fashion.
i would say no. the Si will be more of a "novelty" or a "tool" if developed well enough and Fe is unconscious so it doesn't manifest itself directly.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
You can develop a good use of your tertiary and your inferior... but it'll likely never be as good /automatic as your dominant or auxiliary function. For example my inferior function is Se. I'm good at spotting birds and squirrels and what not when I pay attention to my surroundings, but my attention isn't automatic. If I got something else on my mind, I'll likely miss a car coming my way and just step out into traffic. :mellow:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are 3rd and 4th really that weak?

If the 3rd and 4th functions are already that difficult to use, where does that leave 5th through 8th? Never seen except under extreme stress? (according to theory)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I would say that in some cases, the 3rd or 4th can be used more than the auxiliary due to unusual development... but this does not change the person's basic type, only the expression of it, IMO.

I think it's possible to use 3rd or 4th (and maybe in some rare cases, 5th or 6th) in an almost auxiliary fashion, but not an almost dominant fashion. I believe the dominant has a more unique role in defining the psyche's nature than the other functions.

For instance... an INTP could behave more Ti-Si (which can make them look ISTx-ish or Ti-Fe (which can look IxFJ-ish) than Ti-Ne at times. An INFJ could behave more Ni-Ti (which can look INTx-ish) or Ni-Se (which can look IxSP-ish) than Ni-Fe at times. This is just one way that people can move around within their type in order to adapt.

Does that make sense?

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
i would say no. the Si will be more of a "novelty" or a "tool" if developed well enough and Fe is unconscious so it doesn't manifest itself directly.

Si as a novelty (funny word to use in the context of Si, as that's in its contents about unnovelty) ok I can see, but at the moment I am becoming consciously aware of Fe.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Even if it were true, this function business, which it isn't, it has no use. Just do whatever you want; ignore it.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

If the 3rd and 4th functions are already that difficult to use, where does that leave 5th through 8th? Never seen except under extreme stress? (according to theory)
its pointless to think about the 5th through 8th... they hardly have relevance (which is partially true for the first four functions, though they do have some application and relevance in retrospect, go temperaments). and the third isn't necessarily that weak, its just not accessed naturally, its something you need to kinda "turn on" to use. for instance, the second i start writing a program my Te kinda turns on and i use it to help me with the logic and such. the Si is unconscious and, like i mentioned above, only manifests itself indirectly

Even if it were true, this function business, which it isn't, it has no use. Just do whatever you want; ignore it.

lol

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

I think they've gotten the ordering wrong. There's really no order other than that you tend to use 1st and 2nd more than the rest... but 5,6,7, 8 aren't necessarily any weaker than 3, 4...

People use all 8... it's just like without thought, you're more accustomed to using 1 & 2 more than anything else. You can train yourself to use the rest, but it takes a conscious effort. Deliberate use vs automatic use.

Ha! It's been a while since I've last agreed with you.

People are people, not types. Cognitive function is just a model and should be used as such.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

I have raised this thought before based on my experience and self analysis. I have wondered whether contrary to the succession of functions, someone who actually has a strong attitude toward E or I may affect how weak the auxiliary and subsequently how strong the teiritary function can be in an individual. This would be most noticeable in extraverts who seem to have no ability for introspection, being dependant on external stimulus, or an introvert who uses their auxiliary defensively instead of developing it and finding themselves almost loathing social contact. If that is the case and since I have a strong preference for introversion, maybe I go from Ti to Ni.