• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Informing and Directing

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Omission because I forgot but also I think EJs tend to be more openly directive than the Chart the Course group.

I still am not getting what people are saying when they say directive. All I see are a bunch of rude demands being called directive.
I totally agree which is why I gave a more subtle comparison. I am not going to be so direct as some of the examples provided.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Omission because I forgot but also I think EJs tend to be more openly directive than the Chart the Course group.

I still am not getting what people are saying when they say directive. All I see are a bunch of rude demands being called directive.

Again, "Directing" and "Informing" are just one aspect of the personality factor they are being used to illustrate. The real name of the factor is "People vs Task orientation", or simply "Responsiveness". (Berens even mentions this in her definition of D/Inf). A task-focused person is generally independent and doesn't want much interference (Hence, FIRO calling the factor "Wanted behavior"). So people will be treated almost as objects to be ordered or directed around, to achieve the goal or task. A people-focused person generally likes others more, and values acceptance by and harmony with them. So they will tend to soften or smooth down their requests to others by making them indirect in the form of information (including hypothetical questions). That sounds nicer and less blunt than a command. I know, as sometimes I might be annoyed and feel like yelling an order, but depending on the situation, and who it is I'm talking to; I usually end up phrasing it as information, for fear of upsetting the other person.
So when you pair this factor with E/I; you get the four Interaction Styles: a task-oriented introvert who just "charts the course" of his tasks; a task-oriented extrovert who approaches people, to be "in charge" of tasks; a people-oriented introvert who is more shy and thus prefers to stay "behind the scenes"; and a people-oriented extrovert who likes to "get things going".
Structure and Motive is also a form of people/task, with SP's and NF's described as more focused on people (and their motives), and SJ and NT focused on structures (by which tasks are completed). So the TP's and FJ's will have a mixture of people and task focus (hence why I do feel like directing people sometimes).

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
As usual Eric, you provide a simple but definitive answer to what can be a complicated inquiry. Good job and you are absolutely correct. When reading your response I thought about the ESTP type in being someone who would prefer action to words and the "Chart the Course" types who want the same.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Again, "Directing" and "Informing" are just one aspect of the personality factor they are being used to illustrate. The real name of the factor is "People vs Task orientation", or simply "Responsiveness". (Berens even mentions this in her definition of D/Inf). A task-focused person is generally independent and doesn't want much interference (Hence, FIRO calling the factor "Wanted behavior"). So people will be treated almost as objects to be ordered or directed around, to achieve the goal or task. A people-focused person generally likes others more, and values acceptance by and harmony with them. So they will tend to soften or smooth down their requests to others by making them indirect in the form of information (including hypothetical questions).

So this means a directive F like like me wouldn't induce severe head trauma when "directing" people. I find the examples of directive communication styles to be more indicative of TJ than FJ. I usually soften my requests which probably sounds informative but it's not really.

So when you pair this factor with E/I; you get the four Interaction Styles: a task-oriented introvert who just "charts the course" of his tasks; a task-oriented extrovert who approaches people, to be "in charge" of tasks; a people-oriented introvert who is more shy and thus prefers to stay "behind the scenes"; and a people-oriented extrovert who likes to "get things going".
Structure and Motive is also a form of people/task, with SP's and NF's described as more focused on people (and their motives), and SJ and NT focused on structures (by which tasks are completed). So the TP's and FJ's will have a mixture of people and task focus (hence why I do feel like directing people sometimes).

Thanks! :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're welcome,everyone! :)

So this means a directive F like like me wouldn't induce severe head trauma when "directing" people. I find the examples of directive communication styles to be more indicative of TJ than FJ. I usually soften my requests which probably sounds informative but it's not really.

Thanks! :)

So if you're ExFJ, and directive, then that would eliminate the x, and you could only be ENFJ. (ESFJ is informative. S/N is the "switch" so to speak, that changes the dichotomies that determine D/Inf, Structure/Motive as well as cooperative/pragmatic)

An essay that really helped me a lot to draw my conclusion was Achilles Tendencies, the Essay. There, you see TJ's described as "the most directive", while FP's are "the most friendly", and TP's and FJ's "somewhere inbetween". The author does not even believe in Keirsey or Berens' model, or the factors associated with them (D/Inf, C/U, Str/M), but I then saw that it was Str/M that paralleled D/Inf, and produced those varying degrees when combined with it (and it helped me complete my comparison of MBTI with the FIRO system).

So TJ's seem "more directive", because they are both Directive and Structure focused! NFJ's are Directive, yet Motive focused, which softens down the directiveness. SFJ's on the other hand, are Informing, yet Structure-focused. So all FJ's will be mixed like that.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I did not realize you were reconsidering your type Protean, but I would like to respond by saying that the "X" will be the determining factor specifically for your type since based on Berens, ESFJs are considered informative types with the "Get Things Going" interaction style and the ENFJ would be the directive type shared by other "In Charge" interaction styles. Being behaviorist first and foremost, I believe that Berens/Nardi focused the interaction styles on temperament more than individual cognitive functions.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I did not realize you were reconsidering your type Protean, but I would like to respond by saying that the "X" will be the determining factor specifically for your type since based on Berens, ESFJs are considered informative types with the "Get Things Going" interaction style and the ENFJ would be the directive type shared by other "In Charge" interaction styles. Being behaviorist first and foremost, I believe that Berens/Nardi focused the interaction styles on temperament more than individual cognitive functions.
If I haven't utterly failed in typing those around me, I would say the ESFJ is more "brutal" with requests than the ENFJ. More "This is how it's done, and anyone who disagrees shouldn't even be here."

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's the structure-focus of the SJ, and as that shows, it does have a similar effect as directive communication!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's the structure-focus of the SJ, and as that shows, it does have a similar effect as directive communication!
Admittedly I've only once skimmed the whole Directive/Informative/Chart the Course... business, but doesn't that muddle things for the amateur?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't understand directing information style. How could it be more effective than informing? Ultimately, people hate and rebel to people with directing style. It's effective in a crysis situation when time cannot be wasted, otherwise...

wolfy

awsm
I do both, anyways, though. And I will temper directing statements so they sound a little more informing.

Example:

Directing...

"Be quiet!"

when tempered becomes...

"Shhh! It's hard to hear." (you see here there's the command, followed by information)

which when informing is...

"I can't hear what's being said, you're talking too loud."

and informing tempered by directing, but still informing, would be...

"It's hard to hear, please, keep it down." (here you have information, followed by a command)

OK, I suppose I prefer informing then directing.

I'd say " You're annoying me" then "Shut Up".

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Admittedly I've only once skimmed the whole Directive/Informative/Chart the Course... business, but doesn't that muddle things for the amateur?

It depends on how deeply the amateur is willing to understand, or what framework he is familiar with, if any. Temperaments, and Interaction Styles (which are just temperaments in a different area of interaction) have been mapped to the MBTI, and temperament is based on expressive and responsive behavior scales. Directing and Informing is one of the responsiveness factors, and is very observable in people's behavior. So with this factor, a person familiar with temperament theory will know where it fits in the types, and it's also a big clue for someone trying to type themselves or someone else.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't understand directing information style. How could it be more effective than informing? Ultimately, people hate and rebel to people with directing style. It's effective in a crysis situation when time cannot be wasted, otherwise...

If you really try noticing directing and informing in real life.... If your looking for 'drill seargant' style, then nobody you see will be a directing type.

Enter the stereotypes. Directing isn't neccesarily rude. Sure, "shutup" is directing, but so is "Here. Go to this webpage and read this article, it's really interesting".

And I know that it's also possible to be very irritating with informing. Call it 'attitude'. I know I had one ENFJ blow up in my face when I was being condescending and teasing her about a mistake she made in physics class.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If you really try noticing directing and informing in real life.... If your looking for 'drill seargant' style, then nobody you see will be a directing type.

Yeah, I rarely if ever encounter the drill Sargent style.

Enter the stereotypes. Directing isn't neccesarily rude. Sure, "shutup" is directing, but so is "Here. Go to this webpage and read this article, it's really interesting".

Would the informing version be "Here. You can go to this webpage to read this article, it's really interesting."

And for "shut up", would the informing (and equally rude) version be "Will you please shut up?"

MBTI Type
INxJ
And I know that it's also possible to be very irritating with informing. Call it 'attitude'. I know I had one ENFJ blow up in my face when I was being condescending and teasing her about a mistake she made in physics class.

Ah, you have to approach NFJs with caution when it comes to judging them in school. They will Fe all over you.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's effective in a crysis situation when time cannot be wasted, otherwise...

You like video games, I see...

(I don't know if that was informative or directive.)

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah, you have to approach NFJs with caution when it comes to judging them in school. They will Fe all over you.

now now, don't make assumptions, that ENFJ actually ended up with much better grades than me.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I rarely if ever encounter the drill Sargent style.

Would the informing version be "Here. You can go to this webpage to read this article, it's really interesting."

And for "shut up", would the informing (and equally rude) version be "Will you please shut up?"

No, that's still directing!:D:D

hmm. I think informing would be something like "Jeez, you are being such a moron"