• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

you realize & act as if you're the 'Type' ?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
nah i just act like myself. im still very ENFPish but my dad is an INTJ and i see the effect all the time. i actually tend to interact better with NTs then NFs. many NFs (and i myself do this from time to time) take things too personally and i dont need that when im trying to have an intelligent conversation/debate. dont get me wrong... i love my NF buds but when it comes to a good discussion there is nothing like an NT (my best friend is an ENTP). so, no, i dont act a whole lot like my type just because i know about what my type should act like.

You've always struck me as an ENTP, i've never ever gotten the classic ENFP-vibe from you. Never. Might be the wrong thread, but have you ever thought of the possibility of you being a generally well-rounded ENTP...?

You're probably sure of it, though, and the only person that can truly know yourself is you.

Edit: ^ sure of you being an ENFP. You probably got that. Just in case.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I act like me.

Trying to act more like an INTP would be self defeating because I am one.

G

garbage

Even though I've never been exactly sure of my type (leaning toward "overly balanced ENTP" despite having introduced myself as an ESFJ), typing's been useful as a way to help me find patterns in my own behavior and thought processes, and I've been able to make more sense of them as a result. I've also learned to trust my supposed strengths more, and also identify and work on my weaknesses.

In short: It gives me the permission I've been seeking to be myself without feeling guilty about it.

Oh, and I feel this way, too. I don't want to use my type as an excuse for certain negative qualities, but I do use it as a starting point for accepting myself for who I am, then moving forward with what I can improve.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
You've always struck me as an ENTP, i've never ever gotten the classic ENFP-vibe from you. Never. Might be the wrong thread, but have you ever thought of the possibility of you being a generally well-rounded ENTP...?

You're probably sure of it, though, and the only person that can truly know yourself is you.

Edit: ^ sure of you being an ENFP. You probably got that. Just in case.
ive always been sure im an ENFP but i tend to try not to take things personally and i lend as much logic as i can to situations, even if they are emotionally driven. like i said (i think i said, and if not here i have elsewhere), my dad is an INTJ and has a great affect on the way i think.

wolfy

awsm
I just act myself.
MBTI helps to me reflect on myself but doesn't guide my actions. My emotions do that.

Richard0612

MBTI Type
ENTP
MBTI helps me to understand myself and other people better, but I don't think along the lines of: 'oh, that person's an xxxx and therefore must be x, y and z'.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
MBTI helps me to understand myself and other people better, but I don't think along the lines of: 'oh, that person's an xxxx and therefore must be x, y and z'.

Well, that's good, because then they'd be an xxyz.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking about how MBTI is similar to other ways of categorizing people and started wondering if people can define self without being told who they are to some extent.

The MBTI categories can be quite limiting. I was briefly in a master's degree in counseling and one of the professors was asked about MBTI. She said that there were three types she came out as depending on context: work, family, and recreation. From what I understand the study of psychology does not take this MBTI stuff too dogmatically. It provides some reference point and has some interesting insights into people, but the hard boundary style labeling isn't always appropriate. I can think and act within a range that extends beyond one MBTI category. If people start to feel obligated to think and act based on external definitions, then I think there is cause for concern. It is even problematic to point to a personality and say, 'this defines it', for at least two reasons: firstly an individual is complex and shaped by trillions of details of nuance, and secondly a person is a dynamic system in a constant state of change.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I just act myself.
MBTI helps to me reflect on myself but doesn't guide my actions. My emotions do that.

Agreed. I think acting more like your type would essentially be catering to whatever the most popular type descriptions say is supposed to be your type's typical behavior. The descriptions may not even be all that accurate anyway. I actually think it's difficult-to-impossible NOT to act in accordance with your type preferences, and by that I don't mean your behavior matches up with the descriptions. It's yoru motives that are aligned with your temperament's (and type's) core needs and values.

Sarah

verenalovelygarden

MBTI Type
INTJ
hello Niki

has any of you felt like that, in your daily-life converstaions & interactions?

or when you're an INTJ, after you've act or interacted with people, you can suddenly feel this 'sheer' feeling of "wow, this is so INTJ-ish, do stuff that i just did (or thought, etc) ! "

It's only two weeks ago that I know my real profile. In the meantime I learned many details of the INTJ temper while visiting a lot of websites.
Sometimes when I'm acting as usual I have to laugh about myself and the circumstances ; like my typical sentence: Does it work? I don't say it any more.... I have to laugh with tears on my cheeks because I already know that it NEVER works !!!! :whistling: :harhar:
And at least life seems to be easier for me since I can understand more common typologies.
Take care. Verena

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
I avoid putting myself in one of the 16 boxes and say "Hey, look at me! I'm square!".

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm I think I do it mostly backwards... sometimes I wonder about why I do things the way I did them... and go hmmm that was awfully INTJ like wasn't it? But never do I go the other way... I'm INTJ and so I should... That's just silly to confine yourself into a box like that.