• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coping with "Cabin Fever"

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
I suspect that "E"s will relate to this more than "I"s but any input is welcome :)

So I had a knee operation a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not allowed to walk on it for a while longer. I've got crutches, but I've been advised to keep off my good leg as much as possible so that the hopping around doesn't cause me additional problems in that hip.

For the next couple of weeks I'm going to be stuck at home most of the day. My parents are calling in most days to make me cups of tea and make sure I've got food etc and my SO has been an absolute gem in looking after me when he gets back from work.

The thought of being stuck in the house for the next 3 or 4 weeks fills me with dread.

I have things around me to keep me occupied, I have my internet access, and I have plenty of books to read, yet i find that when me SO gets back from work I feel the need to chatter at him for hours on end about nothing in particular it's just so great to have some more company... Unfortunately for me at the moment he's an INTP so he doesn't appreciate that too much :D

I get to the point where I just need to get out of the house - I don't mind where I go, it just has to be out and around people

Do other types experience this sort of cabin fever?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I suspect that "E"s will relate to this more than "I"s but any input is welcome :)

So I had a knee operation a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not allowed to walk on it for a while longer. I've got crutches, but I've been advised to keep off my good leg as much as possible so that the hopping around doesn't cause me additional problems in that hip.

For the next couple of weeks I'm going to be stuck at home most of the day. My parents are calling in most days to make me cups of tea and make sure I've got food etc and my SO has been an absolute gem in looking after me when he gets back from work.

The thought of being stuck in the house for the next 3 or 4 weeks fills me with dread.

I get to the point where I just need to get out of the house - I don't mind where I go, it just has to be out and around people

Do other types experience this sort of cabin fever?
I cut myself with a chainsaw (not deliberate) a few years back that required 40 stitches and 40 staples. My family physician has known me for over two decades so he knew that I was not going to remain idle. In fact while stitching me up he said, I know you’re not going back home and rest since you probably are still wanting to finish your project, so wrap up the leg to make sure no dirt get’s in the wound and I will see you next week. He gave me crutches, but knew that I would not use them so also instructed that if the pain becomes unbearable or if my knee begins to swell too much, get off of it. More importantly he said don't tear the stitches or staples.

Otherwise he knew that I was not going to stay penned up in the house. Although I did not need to be around others, I sure as hell was not going to remain inside for that length of time. On the other hand I had my retna torn many years ago during a football game which kept me down for a week because my eyes were sensitive to light. So I guess it depends on you. Let your physician know whether you will be able to follow the restrictions and if not to provide functional instructions that coincides with your style of living.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Geez, Arilee, sorry to hear.

I broke my foot a couple of years ago and never realized what the life of someone whose mobility is impaired is like. Gave me a deep appreciation for being able to walk! Something I'd always taken for granted.

Dunno what to say. Acceptance of your situation may take a while. Patience, you know. ;)

In my twenties I felt the need to leave the house constantly. Just get home and already planning where I'd go next.

My only suggestion for you would be to use this time to have a better understanding of your need to be out often and to develop some coping skills for being quiet with yourself.

The computer should be handy for interaction with others.

I've found that my husband used to go on overload after work if I'd hit him with too much stuff right after he came in and needed some decompression time.

And yes, do be careful of the "good" leg. After I healed, mine was more problematic than the one I had hurt. Not only the hip but the risk of twisting the knee, like getting into and out of a car, becomes a possibility.

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
I cut myself with a chainsaw (not deliberate) a few years back that required 40 stitches and 40 staples. My family physician has known me for over two decades so he knew that I was not going to remain idle. In fact while stitching me up he said, I know you’re not going back home and rest since you probably are still wanting to finish your project, so wrap up the leg to make sure no dirt get’s in the wound and I will see you next week. He gave me crutches, but knew that I would not use them so also instructed that if the pain becomes unbearable or if my knee begins to swell too much, get off of it. More importantly he said don't tear the stitches or staples.

Otherwise he knew that I was not going to stay penned up in the house. Although I did not need to be around others, I sure as hell was not going to remain inside for that length of time. On the other hand I had my retna torn many years ago during a football game which kept me down for a week because my eyes were sensitive to light. So I guess it depends on you. Let your physician know whether you will be able to follow the restrictions and if not to provide functional instructions that coincides with your style of living.

Oooh that sounds painful.....

I have managed to get out an about a bit - but managed to hurt my wrist in the process :doh: I am seeing the Physician next week so I should get a fresh set of instructions.... And i will explain that being stuck in the house for another 4 weeks is not an option if he want's me to maintain my sanity...

I'm being cautious following this operation as it is the 2nd on on the same knee and I want to ensure the repair work they have done doesn't get undone by me being careless...

I was also curious to know how other types would cope with being cooped up for such a long time....

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
Geez, Arilee, sorry to hear.

I broke my foot a couple of years ago and never realized what the life of someone whose mobility is impaired is like. Gave me a deep appreciation for being able to walk! Something I'd always taken for granted.

Dunno what to say. Acceptance of your situation may take a while. Patience, you know. ;)

In my twenties I felt the need to leave the house constantly. Just get home and already planning where I'd go next.

My only suggestion for you would be to use this time to have a better understanding of your need to be out often and to develop some coping skills for being quiet with yourself.

The computer should be handy for interaction with others.

I've found that my husband used to go on overload after work if I'd hit him with too much stuff right after he came in and needed some decompression time.

And yes, do be careful of the "good" leg. After I healed, mine was more problematic than the one I had hurt. Not only the hip but the risk of twisting the knee, like getting into and out of a car, becomes a possibility.

I have certainly gained an insight of what it's like to be imobile.... and also how poor the design of certian buildings are for people with limited mobility are. These are things you don't realise until you are in the situation...

I was off work for 6 weeks when I originally hurt my knee last year - but I was able to move around - albeit slowly.... I was job hunting at the time so that kept me occupied - filling in application forms and so on, but I still drove the SO mad when he came home from work.... this time round I have less to keep me occupied, I read a lot and i'm finding the odd thing on daytime tv that I don't mind watching but it's the company that i miss for the most part. (I guess that's the "E" in me!!!)

I'm being very careful with the good leg at the moment - making sure I look after the hip kneee and also my back....

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
If I can't get outside, I get a very bad case of cabin fever. I have discovered that I do need to get outside regularly... well, every day... and that keeps me going. Last year at this time, I became very sick with pneumonia. I could barely breathe and the room was spinning so going outside wasn't something that I was thinking about. When I finally started getting better, the doctor told me that, since I had been very sick, my recovery time would be very long and that I should not go for long walks or exert myself too much. I felt very trapped and just not happy at all. :cry:
The only things that kept me going were books and crocheting and other crafts.
Finally, I was able to go out for long walks again. It felt good to do that and my negative feelings started going away.
So... my hobbies and my books helped me out... you mentioned that you have books and that you like talking to your husband, but that he doesn't really care for a lot of conversation. Do you have friends who might come over for a cup of tea or coffee and who will visit with you for a little while? Do you think that having some visitors might help you feel a little less trapped??
I wish you the best.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
awww i'm sorry to hear that :( that would totally suck.. any friends that you can call? I have a few backups myself for stuck-in-the-house situations..

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I'm being cautious following this operation as it is the 2nd on on the same knee and I want to ensure the repair work they have done doesn't get undone by me being careless.....
Well it sounds as though you need to keep off of it. Godspeed in your recovery.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah it sounds like you need to try and find someone to hang out with. Are there any old friends or family members who maybe you haven’t visited in a while that are available? (Killing two birds with one stone :D) Or anyone really. If them coming to you is not an option maybe have yourself dropped off at their house by someone? That or make good use of your phone.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are you still stuck at home?

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
thanks for the support everyone :hug:

I'm getting back on my feet a bit more now so I'm feeling more positive.

I am still interested how other types deal with similar situations. I must admit I was suprised at how many Introverts have commented that they also get similar feelings - I guess I expected it to be more the Extraverts who would be unhappy being stuck in the house for a prolonged period of time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think I would eventually go stir crazy too, but it would take me a long time to get there, like 2 weeks or something. :smile:
Probably because I'm pretty much used to being alone.

I remember when my kids were young and I was home all day with them, after about a week I would need to get out even if it was just to get to the grocery store. But maybe that was more of a desire to get away from the constant emotional demands of being a full-time mom, and not so much a need for the external stimulation, though I did like that, too. Even if it was just the grocery store. :)

am_i_evil666

Yeah, it sucks being stuck in the house for a long time.
One month ago I got ill and I had to stay at home for 3 weeks, I could only go out to go to the doctor.
It was quite horrible, even though I had internet, computer, tv, books, phone, etc, I got very, very bored. And a little depressed....

I was so happy when I got back to civilization. :smile:

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'd actually enjoy something like this for a month and a bit or so.