• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can Extraverts Be Reserved?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I dont get the question either. I am more reserved than the average human being. But when I feel at home somewhere, I can exaggerate and become overbearing that's true.

Our society encourages the deterioration of the average ESFP. Poor things. I know some ESFP's. They're the bad ones. Loud, emotional and out of control. Combining SP with E and F is just bad.

What are some examples of ESFP's that have used their powers for good?

I dont think they are the bad ones. But if you have a similar thing going on in Amerika as we have here, what I think, then I think I got the meaning.

There are a lot of awful new TV shows out there presenting all kind of shit presented by loud, fast-paced people, who are full of themselves. My expectations on performing are somewhat different. I like a good moderator of a show, but nowadays there seems to be a development in the direction to encourage someone to sell himself by the means of his individuality. And that results in freakish looking people, doing highly introverted subjective stuff, they find funny, but noone else does.

In the light of that matter, I like to think about "Can those Extroverts be still reserved".

In a normal light though, I see no reason for the question.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I very rarely speak loudly and am much more likely to be the one chatting about the world with a couple of people at the end of the bar than to be the person dancing on it.

I'm quite outgoing, but I don't try and change anything really... I'm kind of passive most of the time (probably that goes hand in hand with a complete inability to make decisions :blush:)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
im an extremely reserved extrovert. when its a new social situation or new environment im pretty much silent.
I dont get the question either. I am more reserved than the average human being. But when I feel at home somewhere, I can exaggerate and become overbearing that's true.
It may be necessary to define the word “reserve” since everyone has their connotation. As for type, keep in mind that MBTI says that extraverts gain energy from being around others and introverts from being alone. I think that most people who have matured over the years and gained experience from being burned by being too open may take on more reserved tendencies. Some descriptions of ESTP allude to their knowing when to tone it down.

Since Jung says that pure type is rare, I don’t see why extraverts cannot be any more reserved than an introvert is outgoing. This is only expounds on further reasons why the forums continue to remain confused in attempting to understand type by using dichotomies. Jung has his idea of what E/I looks like in real life by saying:
The two types are so essentially different, presenting so striking a contrast, that their existence, even to the [p. 413] uninitiated in psychological matters becomes an obvious fact, when once attention has been drawn to it. Who does not know those taciturn, impenetrable, often shy natures, who form such a vivid contrast to these other open, sociable, serene maybe, or at least friendly and accessible characters, who are on good terms with all the world, or, even when disagreeing with it, still hold a relation to it by which they and it are mutually affected.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
reserved meaning this... if i enter a social situation which im new to or not used to, i dont say anything and only jump into conversations only when i have something to say that is relevant to the conversation. i also wont willingly enter social situations which are new to me.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I am just not in the mood (whether physically, mentally, or emotionally) to be engaged. Most of the time if I have nothing to do I'll be about 20% engaged with what is going on around me (whether social or not). I suppose this isn't that I'm being "reserved" though per se, just that I'm zoning out or that my mind is a little groggy. I guess I only act reserved if the people around me are pissing me off.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
reserved meaning this... if i enter a social situation which im new to or not used to, i dont say anything and only jump into conversations only when i have something to say that is relevant to the conversation. i also wont willingly enter social situations which are new to me.
But still energized by social activity.

I guess this shows it. Plus there are different degrees. I always think of people who talk to bus drivers on the bus as super extroverts.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

I guess this shows it. Plus there are different degrees. I always think of people who talk to bus drivers on the bus as super extroverts.
I'm only energized by social situations that i'm used to. if its something new i generally get worn out just because i get stressed. probably because im afraid of rejection from new groups of people. once i get used to the group of people im fine though, in fact generally i get energized but initially im quite uncomfortable. a lot of times i just need time to figure people out and how to approach them and deal with them.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I'm only energized by social situations that i'm used to. if its something new i generally get worn out just because i get stressed. probably because im afraid of rejection from new groups of people. once i get used to the group of people im fine though, in fact generally i get energized but initially im quite uncomfortable. a lot of times i just need time to figure people out and how to approach them and deal with them.
Hmmm….. then which interaction style would you consider fits you best. These are only a snipets:
The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
The theme is persuading and involving others. They thrive in facilitator or catalyst roles and aim to inspire others to move to action, facilitating the process. Their focus is on interaction, often with an expressive style. They Get-Things-Going™ with upbeat energy, enthusiasm, or excitement, which can be contagious. Exploring options and possibilities, making preparations, discovering new ideas, and sharing insights are all ways they get people moving along. They want decisions to be participative and enthusiastic, with everyone involved and engaged.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Truly introverted extroverts. Normally I can stay awake, it's after I leave the situation that "it" hits.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Today my ESTJ friend was being reserved. I came to where he and some of our mutual friends were, with a group of some other friends of mine that none of them knew (or at least not very well). He didn't attempt to branch out to them at all, kept to himself, and only spoke to them when spoken to, with short answers...expressing very little emotion, etc. He always does this with new non-mutual friends.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Due to introverted judgement in the secondary position....
these extroverts look like introverts
as Fe for IxFJs

THEANO

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am pretty outgoing and feel comfortable in almost any social situation. There are times when I am gregarious, and times I come across as reserved, though it may be a front, when in fact I do not feel 'reserved' but need to act in that manner for social reasons

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hmmm….. then which interaction style would you consider fits you best. These are only a snipets:
im a complete and perfect blend of each. when its people i dont know i tend to go with the first one. when its people i know well, i tend to go with the second. if i hang out with a group of people im not too familiar with, im quite reserved and observant. when its my group of best friend... well... not so much. im an ENFP, and i know that for sure, but i did grow up in an introverted environment (mom = INFJ dad = INTJ) so that rubs off on me quite a bit.

EDIT:

im an ambivert leaning towards extroversion
in the MBTI model true ambiversion is technically impossible

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am pretty much the same. I don't look for parties and I don't think that I need constant stimulation. I do like to talk but can actually (gasp!) listen. Being alone doesn't energize me at all, but I don't need to be with people all of the time, either. If I am alone too much, my energy gets drained. If I spend too much time with other people, my energy gets drained. I like my alone time when I am taking a walk. Otherwise, I prefer to have people around. I think that I am an isfp, but a borderline introvert.

yea, definately, when I orignally knew about this I thought I was an ISFP for a while. since i'm not running around going, "wheres the party at!!" (that is the first line in the ESFP description) and acting really dumb all the time or talking constantly, or needing constant stimulation. that would be ridiculous actually. However, I do not feel energized from being alone and in my own thoughts. I feel energized when I am around with people.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I talk to bus drivers on the bus, mostly when I get on and when I get off. I don't carry on a long conversation, though, unless the bus driver takes the initiative.
:smile:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am pretty much the same. I don't look for parties and I don't think that I need constant stimulation. I do like to talk but can actually (gasp!) listen. Being alone doesn't energize me at all, but I don't need to be with people all of the time, either. If I am alone too much, my energy gets drained. If I spend too much time with other people, my energy gets drained. I like my alone time when I am taking a walk. Otherwise, I prefer to have people around. I think that I am an isfp, but a borderline introvert.

same here! we're really close in type.. I'm on the "E" side of the line, though.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Of course extroverts can be reserved. They probably still require more energy from their external environment than introverts do. It's just that they don't necessarily get it from other people. I'm pretty reserved myself because I like interacting with people I "click" with. And usually it takes a while to find one of those, depending on where you live.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Of course.. it's like ansking can feelers think (actually don't answer that one) I don't think extraversion is the opposite of reserved though is it. I have known many who are inrtoverts but far from reserved. I for one can be very restrained in words and actions however, give the impression that I am being very free with both...

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
Also consider that some extroverts with a lower percentage may lean more toward being an ambivert, with extroverted tendencies. This is more the case for me.