• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypotheses on self-dislike and type

ygolo

My termites win
I believe that if we were to conduct a poll of a large sample size on people who have gone through a self-discovery process of their MBTI type, that the highest incidence of the number of people who dislike themselves or wanted to be/have a different personality would be highest in the INPs, followed closely by ISFs.

In general, I believe that informative types (SFs, NPs) will have higher incidence of self-dislike and desire for a different personality than directive types (STs, NJs). Also, the incidence of this preference will be higher in general for Introverts than Extroverts.

Anybody know of studies related to these hypotheses?

Any thoughts in general about these hypotheses?

EDIT:By "incidence," I mean, (# of people reporting self-dislike identifying themselves as a particular type)/(# of people identifying themselves as that type)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Extraverts simply externalize their unhappiness and project it onto other people as the cause.

ygolo

My termites win
Extraverts simply externalize their unhappiness and project it onto other people as the cause.

Your point is relevant, but I wanted to reiterate, that I am talk about self-dislike, not unhappiness in general.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yea I think his point still stands. Extraverts have a nasty habit of projecting their self dislike and opinions onto others when thing get a little too negative.

ygolo

My termites win
Yea I think his point still stands. Extraverts have a nasty habit of projecting their self dislike and opinions onto others when thing get a little too negative.

Are you saying they project what would be self-dislike onto others? That is the general unpleasantness is placed in a source outside themselves?

Or are you saying they dislike themselves, but will be less like to admit it to themselves? or to others?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think its more of a case where we don't necessarily see their inner workings, but living with an ENFP sister, I can sense some of the reasons for her bad moods.

Extroverts have a need to be outgoing and in contact with others so they don't do the whole Introverted apathy, critical, avoidance thing (INTP especially) unless it gets REALLY bad. They will still project some happiness but there will be more biting remarks and an overall negative tone.

That's all speaking in the case of my sister who is an ENFP.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Interesting hypothesis, at any rate. I think it could well hold true if a large enough sample was collected - it would at least be interesting to see. But couldn't a poll simply be placed on this site as a sticky topic, in a place where everyone would see it? Until data collection takes place the hypothesis remains purely speculative, and that would be a start at least!

BTW, I agree that extraverts have a tendency to project bad feelings on to others, thereby disowning them in themselves - unhealthy or disturbed E*FJ types seem to be the worst in this respect, however - I'm surprised that an ENFP would make a habit of it.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Most of the times they just seek happiness from others to overcome it. But they are usually so expressive that being around them enough it's second nature to pick up on their little variances in mood.

The sources are somewhat easier to pick up as well, although the sample is probably biased somewhat since it is my sister, and I probably did goad her a little bit in those situations.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think so... maybe because I find the people who dislike themselves the most- who try to be someone else the most are the least likely to report this fascination with changing into someone else.

There are many different ways to manifest self-disatisfaction.

ygolo

My termites win
Interesting hypothesis, at any rate. I think it could well hold true if a large enough sample was collected - it would at least be interesting to see. But couldn't a poll simply be placed on this site as a sticky topic, in a place where everyone would see it? Until data collection takes place the hypothesis remains purely speculative, and that would be a start at least!

BTW, I agree that extraverts have a tendency to project bad feelings on to others, thereby disowning them in themselves - unhealthy or disturbed E*FJ types seem to be the worst in this respect, however - I'm surprised that an ENFP would make a habit of it.

I suppose I could make a poll with 8 or 16 categories, but I have no control over whether it is sticky-ed or not. This will be a rather skewed result, since people mistype themselves often on this board, and there is a heavy leaning towards misfits self-identifying as INs.

I don't think so... maybe because I find the people who dislike themselves the most- who try to be someone else the most are the least likely to report this fascination with changing into someone else.

There are many different ways to manifest self-disatisfaction.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

Maybe I should make clear that it is their "personality" that they dislike (though maybe not their "personality type"), not the their bodies, nor their performance, nor another aspect of themselves. That's the distinction I was making by adding wanting to be a different personality.

In my case, I've wanted a different personality for a lot longer than I've known about type.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

That is probably most true of ExxJ types. Likewise I think IxxP types are more likely to internalize their unhappiness. ExxP and IxxJ types are probably somewhere in between.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
In my case, I've wanted a different personality for a lot longer than I've known about type.

Are you serious on this? Wouldn't it be more constructive if you formulated what you could change within your own personality? We have no transpersonality surgery yet...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That is probably most true of ExxJ types. Likewise I think IxxP types are more likely to internalize their unhappiness. ExxP and IxxJ types are probably somewhere in between.

Eh. I kind of think that the perceiving dominants would be unable to pin down the cause...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting...
i think in my case....everything...everybody....every situation...is changeable...everything can be improved....everything has it's good qualities and the ones that could be better...so an opinion as permanent as self dislike would never occur to me because...i view something as temporary...right now...i dislike this....in the future i will do this instead...
does that make any sense?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
interesting...
i think in my case....everything...everybody....every situation...is changeable...everything can be improved....everything has it's good qualities and the ones that could be better...so an opinion as permanent as self dislike would never occur to me because...i view something as temporary...right now...i dislike this....in the future i will do this instead...
does that make any sense?

Yes.

I think ENFPs are more apt to try and seek a solution to their problems. Unsurprisingly it usually involves their environment. I think they usually try to involve others when they have a problem, I think that involves self hate.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes.

I think ENFPs are more apt to try and seek a solution to their problems. Unsurprisingly it usually involves their environment. I think they usually try to involve others when they have a problem, I think that involves self hate.

elaborate...

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Judging from my sister she's never really to overtly sad about things. It's noticeable definitely, but she tries her hardest to keep a happy spirit. She gets complacent just sitting there and contemplating about things on her own so she usually tries to involve others in boosting her spirits.

A lot of times even when she seeks out others or tries to purge herself of some of the negative emotions and feelings she has, she still has a sad way of going about it, you can sense it in her tone and sentence composition.

In my case I just get a little more cynical, critical, and sarcastic. I can pull of sad with a certain sense of apathy and happiness. It's a lot more steady and I can usually pull it of with humor and evasiveness, I don't usually seek out others or involve others, I'd rather contemplate it on my own.

I'm referencing just self dislike, not depression or any other serious maladies. Just to be clear.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i get what your saying...i think but i don't see how that has anything at all to do with self dislike...are you saying because she wants to be outside herself in those situations...that that means she dislikes herself?
because imo...that has nothing to do with it at all
i have always been uncomfortable with sad
if i am sad...i'll be alone and try to sort things out but i have a strong desire to feel better and seek out other people...not to comfort really...but to distract...to make me laugh...being happy is our natural state and it's hard being away from it for too long
that doesn't mean we dislike ourselves...i don't get that reasoning a bit.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yea I know what your saying. You're following the OP, I was responding more to how negative feelings (self hate) manifest not if they are more likely, or ENFPs had an inclination towards it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
confused...but okay