• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Paintings

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I went to the Smithsonian American Art Museum yesterday and this is a little game I played while I looked at the portraits.

I tried to pick paintings that I thought captured the essence of a certain type. I didn't do all of them because that museum is huge and I only had a couple of hours and I forgot to write down the names of the artists. :(

These are the artists in no particular order:
Abbott Handerson Thayer
William H. Johnson
J. Bond Francisco
Howard Finster
George Tooker
William Sidney Mount
John W. Waterhouse

ISFJ
1991.9_1b.jpg

ISJ (ISTJ?)
1969.47.43_1b.jpg

SJ
68.jpg

NF (INFP cause they're so ethereal?)
12am16.jpg

waterhouse.lady-of-shalott.jpg

INJ
1988.74.5_1b.jpg

I don't know about this one but it appealed to me (NJ??)
1966.48.1_1b.jpg

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJ
1991.9_1b.jpg

I'll definitely go with ISFJ on this one in terms of theme. Are you trying to correlate the theme of the paintings or trying to determine the artist's type (or both)?

ISJ (ISTJ?)
1969.47.43_1b.jpg

Yes, the theme is very ISTJ; realistic, detailed, and quite literal. It captures the themes of the everyday world, which particularly appeals to the ISTJ.

SJ
68.jpg

I'm not sure, in terms of theme, this is xSFJ, I think. But in terms of the composition, I'm leaning towards ESFP.

NF (INFP cause they're so ethereal?)
12am16.jpg

waterhouse.lady-of-shalott.jpg

Definitely captures the essence of INFP. I really love these two because of the sense of beauty and wonder. While they contain a Sensate aesthetic, I feel that they are both driven by Intuitive because, as you said, they have an ethereal rather than sensuous quality.

INJ
1988.74.5_1b.jpg

This is definitely NT, no question about it. It's more focused on the creation of worlds from a systematic point of view. It's not really about the emotion or people (although it is a bit small, so I'm probably missing things).

I don't know about this one but it appealed to me (NJ??)
1966.48.1_1b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This probably has strong INFJ appeal. It's got an extremely mystical aura about it and I do believe it focuses on the emotions of the people.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1966.48.1_1b.jpg

This probably has strong INFJ appeal. It's got an extremely mystical aura about it and I do believe it focuses on the emotions of the people.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but fwiw, this pic has about the least fascination for me. The reason is that it lacks subtlety. The emotional reactions are overstated and stylized, lacking an organic, human quality. This painting is 'telling' you everything. It does not engage or draw one into it the way an iNuitive would desire. I'd actually suggest SJ for this last one.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a powerful INF- image

van_gogh_3.jpg

I don't really want to nail down P or J because my sister is a professional artist, is an INFP, and she relates to Van Gogh on a deep level. She wearies of the fluffed up assumptions that go along with INFPs. We both value the meat of the emotional world over the sentimental frosted fritters.

scream.jpeg

I would venture to describe this as the fire of Fi, and quintessential INFP

fred_griffen_melancholy_380_web.jpg

This is a frozen Fe, the deep world of the INFJ. (edit: i had to move this from my next post to articulate contrast of Fi and Fe or INFP - INFJ.

11_th.jpg

Here's another very INFJ portrait

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'll definitely go with ISFJ on this one in terms of theme. Are you trying to correlate the theme of the paintings or trying to determine the artist's type (or both)?

I'm not trying to figure out the artist's type, just the portrait's type.

I'm not sure, in terms of theme, this is xSFJ, I think. But in terms of the composition, I'm leaning towards ESFP.

I was leaning to SP with this artist. Many of William H. Johnson's paintings are of people working or people dancing. Here's one of his paintings I think is ISFP.

cafe.gif

INJ
1988.74.5_1b.jpg

This is definitely NT, no question about it. It's more focused on the creation of worlds from a systematic point of view. It's not really about the emotion or people (although it is a bit small, so I'm probably missing things).

I don't see anything inherently NT about this one, but Ni is off the charts. It's looks so chaotic.

I like how horrified the people look. Kinda macabre. Not as blatantly Ni as the one above.

toonia said:
I agree with a lot of what you say, but fwiw, this pic has about the least fascination for me. The reason is that it lacks subtlety. The emotional reactions are overstated and stylized, lacking an organic, human quality. This painting is 'telling' you everything. It does not engage or draw one into it the way an iNuitive would desire. I'd actually suggest SJ for this last one.

Do you think this looks Si or Ni?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here I'd say ST. Representational, with a strongly T expression. Rather ESTJ in its delivery.
vt1.jpg

Do you think this looks Si or Ni?
I'd say very Si. It is based on a traditional story. It is a literal depiction of it containing all the expected reactions of the characters.

(something interesting I just realized: every painting i have chosen to represent a personality type is a portrait. There may be an element of INFJness to the concept of portraiture? )

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't see anything inherently NT about this one, but Ni is off the charts. It's looks so chaotic.

I'd agree about the Ni bit of this, of all the ones that have been listed in the OP, this one is the one that I can look at and feel like "Oh, I've been here before." It reminds me of my notebook pages when I get bored at work and start doodling and writing random things.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Subtlety? Who says Intuitive types are subtle?

Since when do Intuitives have the desire to make other people think? I thought MBTI type was about the self!

And things of a stylized, fantastical nature are Intuitive, as far as I'm concerned.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Slightly off-topic: I adore The Lady of Shalott.

On-topic: John Jude Palencar, a likely INTJ himself, favors a low depth-of-field, emphasis on line, and a consistent and precise application of paint -- very NT.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
ISJ (ISTJ?)
1969.47.43_1b.jpg

Yes, the theme is very ISTJ; realistic, detailed, and quite literal. It captures the themes of the everyday world, which particularly appeals to the ISTJ.

Meh, I call bullshit on both of you. The image isn't that naturalistically rendered at all, nor is it obsessively detailed. The color scheme is excessively exaggerated, and the use of complimentary colors seems to be used to add a surreal and jangling quality to the seemlingly commonplace scene. [I mean, how often do you really see everyone randomly color coordinated like they're presented in this image? Look at the repetition of orange, for example]. Additionally, the placement of the magazine to substitute [at least visually] the woman's head isn't accidental; it's an intentional statement, especially in the context of the rest of the image.

Nah, not ISTJ -- it strikes me as too subtle for all of that.

I'd say INTJ, perhaps even ENTJ.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Meh, I call bullshit on both of you. The image isn't that naturalistically rendered at all, nor is it obsessively detailed. The color scheme is excessively exaggerated, and the use of complimentary colors seems to be used to add a surreal and jangling quality to the seemlingly commonplace scene. [I mean, how often do you really see everyone randomly color coordinated like they're presented in this image? Look at the repetition of orange, for example]. Additionally, the placement of the magazine to substitute [at least visually] the woman's head isn't accidental; it's an intentional statement, especially in the context of the rest of the image.

I was thinking more in terms of the theme and what the painting is about. It's a very down-to-earth environment about everyday life. Despite not being very realistic in terms of composition, it certainly doesn't have much of a fantastical vibe.

And ENTJs are not subtle! ;)

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
I was thinking more in terms of the theme and what the painting is about. It's a very down-to-earth environment about everyday life. Despite not being very realistic in terms of composition, it certainly doesn't have much of a fantastical vibe.

And ENTJs are not subtle! ;)

The color scheme isn't subtle either. Complimentary colors cause maxium impact because they are opposites, and therefore create the most visual tension.

The subject matter is irrelevant. However, I'm curious -- what do you think this painting actually depicts?

I don't think it's as concrete as you think it is.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

I'm not very good at interpreting paintings or explaining myself, so bear with me.

What makes me think ISTJ (although I'm completely open to other opinions) is that this painting feels paranoid to me, like Si gone bad. A man is peering over his shoulder at the viewer. You can't see his eyes and his expression is disapproving and he's the only person's face you see completely. Everyone else's face is in profile or obscured. The woman with the magazine covering her face is anonymous. The people in this painting all seem interchangeable to me, like just faces in the crowd. The lady in stall 117 is clutching the guys elbow like she's holding on to something (Si). I noticed the vibrant reds and oranges on each person in the stalls but the color scheme seems monochromatic. This suggests to me that this painting needs such brilliant color to shake it loose of its banality. Everyone's body language is downcast and sullen. The whole painting feels like the aftermath of society gone wrong and these are ragged survivors. They're even in a waiting room with numbered stalls. How bureaucratic is that?!

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not very good at interpreting paintings or explaining myself, so bear with me.

What makes me think ISTJ (although I'm completely open to other opinions) is that this painting feels paranoid to me, like Si gone bad.

Where you see paranoia, I see control issues -- both from the artist's choice of style, as well as within the characters in the image itself. When I think of control issues, I tend to think of INTJ or ENTJ. Probably just my personal bias, though. ;)

Although I could see your expanded interpretation as valid too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought paranoia was more of a radically Intuitive trait.

I said SJ because the painting seems to depict something relatively ordinary and to me, it's rather uninteresting and boring -- much like most SJs I've come into contact with.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That one's definitely Ni; I'm leaning toward INFJ. It's just so damn mysterious.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Darn! I think that's blood on those stairs. I'm going to have to choose between never knowing what is in there or dying a gruesome death. I'm not sure which is worse. Maybe it's not blood . . .

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This strikes me as INTP for some reason...

6810076~Senecio-Posters.jpg