• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rasputin's Type

absurdist1010

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I type him as ENFJ (perhaps 3w2). I'd like to hear other people's opinion on his type (especially because on Personality Database he's typed INFJ, which I think is an absurd). I actually wrote an argument for his type, so I guess I'll post it here. I'm open to any constructive criticism and differing opinions.

I'll start this thread with semantics. How do you define Ni/Se? Here's my definition:

Ni/Se is primarily concerned with perceiving raw physical reality in the here and now (Se) and conjecturing its abstract essence (Ni). It promotes a unification of perspectives (Ni) out of present data (Se), thereby suffering fundamental changes according to present reality, as opposed to the Ne/Si axis' timelessness.

Michael Pierce on Ni/Se:

"Overall, Se/Ni is much more trusting of empirical or collected data, particularly data from direct experience, which is why it tends to feel much more intense and singular of vision, because it is perfectly happy with direct observation and conjecture from that observed data... A dominant Ni type, for instance, is constantly conjecturing from whatever data they have, and that's why these types will often feel like they have a lot to say on topics regardless of their actual expertise. Se types conjecture like this too, just not as consistently or as grandly but it is part of what can lend that peculiar air of surety or confidence to the ESTP's speech or the driven spontaneity of the ESFP's decisions. These types feel that they see something before them in glorious clarity and sharpness." ~ The Perceiving Axes - YouTube

They don't mention "mysticism" or "healing abilities" whatsoever. I feel like this profile is just another case of someone who claims to have psychic abilities and is, thus, voted as INFJ (ahem Joan of Arc).

On his supposed inferior Se:

He didn't seem to have repressed Se. Someone has already linked this article, but I'll do it also because I really think it is self-explanatory: Grigori Rasputin Biography: The Devil Incarnate - Biographies by Biographics

I wonder how many INXJs would be described in the way he generally is. I do think he's on the Se/Ni axis, since he was very adept at reaching single conclusions based on the data he had at the moment (his letter to the Tsarina is a good example of that), as opposed to being open to multiple possibilities (Ne/Si). ~ Grigori Rasputin - Wikiquote

"As a boy, he claimed that he would have visions of the future, and that angels appeared to him in his dreams. He knew things about his neighbors that he couldn't possibly know, which was enough evidence to make the locals believe him."

However, doesn't middle axis Ni/Se seem more reasonable than external axis? This man was incredibly hedonistic; it was often reported that he was seen indulging in the present moment, physical pleasures from a very young age. In spite of that, he also supposedly had a close connection with symbolism and metaphysical matters, claiming to have had visions sent from angels and a duty to fulfill his self-prophecy - his journey to Saint Petersburg in order to be an official advisor for the Tsar and Tsarina. I believe the majority of his claims were mere lies, but it would be hypocritical to acknowledge his sybaritic tendencies but neglect his strong interest in the abstract, which was also present since he was young.

On Fe/Ti:

"He claimed to be a higher being, urged people to merge with him... While on his travels, he had impressed a number of aristocrats and clerics, and word had spread 1600 miles to St. Petersburg of a strange, wandering holy man with powers of clairvoyance and healing." ~ The Real Rasputin | Russia's Own Anti-Christ | Timeline - YouTube

"Desperate to find a cure for their ailing son’s hemophilia, one night they called upon Rasputin. After his session with the young boy, the bleeding seemed to stop for some time. Some historians, such as Pierre Gilliard, have speculated that the bleeding likely stopped as a result of Rasputin’s insistence on disallowing the administration of aspirin (a known blood-thinning agent), and not any “mystical” powers he may have had. The Tsarina was amazed, and immediately enlisted the services of Rasputin as a close adviser." ~ Rasputin: 5 Myths and Truths About the Mystic Russian Monk | Time

I considered Te/Fi for him too, but I think Fe/Ti would make much more sense. He appealed to outer value standards ("mystically" healing Tsarina's son - people were fascinated by the occult) in order to build a reputation for himself, while simply using his own logic to guide his actions (reducing a disorder's symptoms by completely decreasing Alexei's aspirin dosage).
I think it's interesting to note that if the Tsarina had to turn to a supposed mystical being in order to find a cure for her son's disorder or at least momentarily control his bleeding, the method Rasputin used to treat Alexei was most likely not very well-known at the time, which indicates that he either discovered it himself or learned it from someone else. Regardless, he did not reveal that he didn't actually use "psychic powers" to cure him.

"The Fe/Ti axis seeks to understand the logical form or structure (Ti) underlying various sentimental appearances (Fe). Thinking along this axis is a bit like trying to construct an android, a structure of programming and framework on which a realistic socially pleasing skin is placed... Feelings and motivations are merely the skin of logically ascertainable principles upon which people operate (Fe/Ti)." ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCnhWVC8yY&list=PL6rzdODmcL67o8jO54sN_S0RJJVsHGZPL&index=4

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Was he extroverted enough to be a Fe-dom? I always thought he was an archetypal INFJ. Fe doms are much more gregarious and capable of either normalized behaviors or creating niches in which their vision is the normalized behavior. If Rasputin is not a Ni-dom then who is? I thought he was Ni-dom dialed up to 11.

absurdist1010

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Was he extroverted enough to be a Fe-dom? I always thought he was an archetypal INFJ. Fe doms are much more gregarious and capable of either normalized behaviors or creating niches in which their vision is the normalized behavior. If Rasputin is not a Ni-dom then who is? I thought he was Ni-dom dialed up to 11.

Why exactly was he Ni-dom? He claimed to be a prophet, sure, but the extent to which he did so could only be possible in fiction (if you are not religious or superstitious, i.e. don't believe in any of that). If you think that everything he stated to be capable of was true, then we have essentially different perspectives. If you analyze his life, even ESTP would make more sense than INFJ. Everything points to middle axis Ni/Se, so I concluded he had to be Fe-dom (ENFJ), rather than Ti-dom (ISTP).