• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How good do you think you are at typing people?

How good at typing do you think you are?

• Total voters

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Where 10 is excellent and 1 is horrible.

Second question, how good do you think you are compared to other people on this site. Same scale, but only use the poll for the first question. (Oh how I wish I could make 2 polls

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It depends on what theory you're working with. I say 7 in general since I primarily work with mbti and ennea and I'm ok with that (as I have clear blindspots for 8s and sx5s). I could be higher if I weren't so easy to manipulate during a typing argument eheh. I wouldn't know how to gauged myself on the forum, I think I'd still be solidly at around a 7

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
5, because muh intuition.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are 5 components that contribute to typing people well;

1) An intimate and comprehensive understanding of the type theory that is being used [theory],
2) A degree of familiarity with the individual, enough to draw lines between type theory and the typed individual,
3) The ability to tie these pieces of observations together and form thorough conclusions, taking into account possibilities of how human behaviour manifests [practice],
4) The ability to actually then explain one's observations,
5) The ability and willingness to adjust for new information if they come. Barely anyone gets typed on round 1.

In my opinion, you don't have to be right, but you do have to be able to explain what you're saying. The right (or most accurate, best fit) answer will come then. A human being is a ball of moving bits of information that can't just be dissected under a lamp. I doubt any of us strikes all 5 at any given typing attempt, but this is food for thought for those wondering how well they type.

Some folks know people really well, but have no idea how to explain them typologically. Some people are encyclopedias of type theory, but have no idea how to apply it to observe people and draw conclusions. Some folks have both, but lack the ability the explain, it's a 'gut feeling' that would crystallize with words, except the words don't quite come. Or, they are observing the right thing, but mis-applying type due to a lack of understanding of the types in depth, but revisiting and re-assessing things later on once they have better understanding (or just giving up).

Real answer to the thread: I don't think about how good I am (and thus do not and won't rate myself), but I do try to be aware of these things.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
There are 5 components that contribute to typing people well;

1) An intimate and comprehensive understanding of the type theory that is being used [theory],
2) A degree of familiarity with the individual, enough to draw lines between type theory and the typed individual,
3) The ability to tie these pieces of observations together and form thorough conclusions, taking into account possibilities of how human behaviour manifests [practice],
4) The ability to actually then explain one's observations,
5) The ability and willingness to adjust for new information if they come. Barely anyone gets typed on round 1.

In my opinion, you don't have to be right, but you do have to be able to explain what you're saying. The right (or most accurate, best fit) answer will come then. A human being is a ball of moving bits of information that can't just be dissected under a lamp. I doubt any of us strikes all 5 at any given typing attempt, but this is food for thought for those wondering how well they type.

Some folks know people really well, but have no idea how to explain them typologically. Some people are encyclopedias of type theory, but have no idea how to apply it to observe people and draw conclusions. Some folks have both, but lack the ability the explain, it's a 'gut feeling' that would crystallize with words, except the words don't quite come. Or, they are observing the right thing, but mis-applying type due to a lack of understanding of the types in depth, but revisiting and re-assessing things later on once they have better understanding (or just giving up).

Real answer to the thread: I don't think about how good I am (and thus do not and won't rate myself), but I do try to be aware of these things.

Due to the issues listed, and other factors I'll discuss below, I feel like often typing others is of limited value. I have noticed that often it is used as a weapon (I hate X...You display the characteristics of X - wait, did I SAY I didn't like you? I'm merely calling types as I see them), or people feel offended when they think they are being mistyped or given an unflattering profile or one that doesn't match how they experience themselves.

I maybe have generalized categories for people, but mostly have found typology of any kind useful for understanding why I might understand the world differently than someone else, and also for helping me figure out some of my potential areas to shore up or strong things to capitalize on. I've learned some useful things on here about why certain types hitch well, or push one another's buttons, and I've also learned through discussions in the earlier days of this site where we might get snarled up, and not understand one another, even if we are speaking the same language. That was eye opening to me at the time, as you rarely get into the same kinds of discussions in real life, nor do you get into it with people that also want to figure out what happened.

As with most other areas of life, when people are most certain that they are great at typing people, that's usually when they have more to learn. There are so many different variables that influence how personality gets expressed: upbringing, trauma, mental illness, religious bent, size of family, profession, opportunities, life experiences, location, culture, language, age, etc. Also, being too close to someone or too distant will influence how you perceive them. People interact differently with different people in their world. Someone who is normally unemotional may be uncharacteristically open with one person, but seem very closed off or distant to others. Someone who is normally very open about themselves may have a private side that you only understand is there once you become better acquainted with them. The way the relationship between yourself and someone else is established influences interactions too. Often people kind of fit into certain roles in one relationship, which may be different from what is expected in other ones and therefore make the person appear somewhat different, depending on whom they are interacting with.

Because of all these considerations, the longer I've looked at any typology system, the more I've concluded that it may be interesting to see different ways people have observed and categorized types of people in the world, but each system is only a tool, and an imperfect one at best. Having said all that, I recognize that there are certain people that are much quicker at sizing up and describing what they are looking at when they meet someone new, in a way that I can't. I do think that's related to them have stronger functions in some areas where mine are weak or almost non-existent. There are there are other ways of evaluation that I once assumed were universally apparent, which I've since found that only me and similarly wired people seem to readily see, so it wouldn't be impossible to me to assume that some of you are better at typing people than others. Perhaps part of the reason that I don't find it as interesting is because it is not a skillset that I'm naturally proficient with.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As with most other areas of life, when people are most certain that they are great at typing people, that's usually when they have more to learn. There are so many different variables that influence how personality gets expressed: upbringing, trauma, mental illness, religious bent, size of family, profession, opportunities, life experiences, location, culture, language, age, etc. [...]

This is a great point. Another way to understand this would be this simple thought exercise: it is literally impossible for anyone to know every single human being on the planet in every single circumstance- that's no fluffy talk, that's fact. To call one's self 'good' would require a process of measuring up towards a set standard or parameters with which to discern the quality of one's result and efforts; difficult, because the parameters are shifting, the standards differ from case to case, and the data pool is infinite- there won't be a point where one would have learned 'enough'.

There is never a finish line- there is no finish line, it is impossible. There are always things to learn from how different people operate, and people often don't even get themselves down pat. It's also important to understand that it's not about what you call yourself, but what you make of yourself- that has always been the goal of typology to me, (one of the various available) instruments to dissect one's self for blind spots and to begin to head towards improvement. It is an angle with which one can view others or one's self. It's an aid, not a rule.

Being 'good' at typing or even understanding people at all in any capacity aside, I think a typing- be it the result, or the session- is effective if what is observed is actually made use of; to put into effect the things one sees and discovers in the process. It becomes a useful tool rather than a limiting category (it never should have been).

Okay, enough derailing.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I dont generally type people any more unless they ask for it. Even then its hard because I want to do a whole time and not just shoot for easy or biased guesses. Like. Recently everyone seems either ISFJ or ISTJ to me. And the IXXP types are also sort of blurring together.

I enjoy enneagram and tritype more because theres more flexibility in typing people. I mean tritype might be bullshit idk but it feels like it accounts for more variables in appearance than MBTI.

But its kind of exhausting to type people because like, that want to do an at least decent job. Like. I dont want to look at someone having a breakdown and like type them as a 6 because *ReAcTiViTy* and typing someone as a 2 or a 6 especially seems to be taken as an insult. And of course, typing someone as a sensor is basically saying you hate them.

Responding to that idea in general- I dont type people passive aggressively to insult them. I type them as I see them. I might be wrong, but if Im not sure Im more than willing to add that into any typing I give.

I enjoy the theory. I dont think it fully describes people, but it is interesting to use it sort of as a tool to sort of understand potentially whys and whats- even if again, people are too complex to 100% fit any system

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In general, I think I'm at around a 7 in terms of enneagram (not counting variants) and around a 4 in terms of MBTI. I'll vote 6 in the poll.

I have a pretty solid understanding of the enneagram triads so I'm pretty decent at narrowing people down to their tritypes although order can be a bit harder for me. I can give a best guess by looking into the core fears and such, though. I usually need to look at a good questionnaire rather than going by posts though.

My understanding of MBTI isn't as strong generally due to lack of sources. So it usually looks like BS when I MBTI-type people since I don't have shit to back it up other than the information I synthesized from witnessing a lot of conversations about cognitive functions.

When it comes to enneagram, I don't want to toot my own horn but I think I'm on par with most of the regulars on this site when it comes to typing others. MBTI I'm probably at a 3. The general members of this site are of course not perfect when it comes to typing people, but I think they're better than a lot of communities. Compared to places like Personality Database and PerC, I think I'm at around a 9 for both systems TBH.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my lack of certitude makes me better at it than average. To be accurate you have to remain open to revising your impressions. You have to have respect for the complexity of other people's psychology. I tend to see many of the people who think they are really good at it only because they have this internally locked down system of assumptions and use confirmation bias to validate it.

I also see it as limited value because typing someone is by necessity a reduction of who they actually are as a person. If you are really good at seeing cardboard cutouts of people, well, how great a skill is that?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
This survey will only indicate the individual self confidence of one own ability of typing people, since it is addressed to the the typer not the target individual whom is typed. However if that is what the OP is looking for, the survey should be Ok.

But, IMO, The feedback of How good we are at identifying a type, in order to be objectively measured should come from the individual whom we type.
I got positive feedback from a member whom I typed last year on my visitors message I am quoting .
vmcacaia said:
Hi...you have described me well. That bit about trusting people beyond what they deserve is definitely true of me. Once I let this lady I barely new stay in my apartment for several nights because she was down on her luck, and she trashed the place. When I came back from the weekend, I was so upset when I saw what she did. I felt so stupid afterward....maybe it's this combined set of trusting too many people that don't deserve my trust that make human interactions drain me...thanks for your input!!
With the feedback, basically She confirms that what I said on a prior discussion we had

In addition, she confirms also that she experienced the underlined a somewhat similar event once.
It is interesting that you say that you are exhausted talking to stranger. Is that so?
It should be easy for ENFJ to talk to stranger, to talk in public in front of people. To impress others with their speech.
Fe is naturally friendly person. It is rather easy for them to talk to a complete stranger. I often experience being greet by someone I identify as Fe, who I haven't met before. Some Fe has the trait of behaving as if he/she already knows the stranger for so long that they want to be treated like an old friend. This trait is actually suitable, if you are placed in some field that you are demanded to meet new people everyday, like marketing. But it can also be rather dangerous for the Extroverted Feeler, as The complete stranger that you don't know may do some crime to you.
A story of my friend (identification : ENFJ) met a stranger. He permitted the stranger to stay overnight in his lodgingroom. When he was awake in the morning, his cellphone was lost, with the stranger of course.
When they were a kid, the person that being told by their parents not to talk to stranger must be an Fe psyche. Why? because they are so friendly, that their parents must have gotten worry,of the strangers they greet.
Based on this, we should have an objective basis on which we judge my accuracy in identifying cacaia's type.

Last edited:

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A 6. I think I'm generally good at typing others, but I'm just horrible at explaining it. I have definitions of types and functions in my head, but when I try to explain it to others it's like word salad. Not as eloquent as it was in my head. I often worry I sound superficial despite studying typology for years. Some of my typing methods are rather simple seeming, but I start with the simple stuff and then use the simple stuff to narrow it down. Some people for example have a very obvious function in a certain position, and so I can't help but go with those vibes. But I try to dig deeper and see if they actually fit the other function defintions and function order as well. Enneagram too, I find triads the most fascinating part and so if someone screams a certain triad I use that as a basis and then dig deeper to find their actual motivations. Some triads can look similar at surface level anyway, for example positive and attachment as well as reactive and frustration(how I decided I wasn't double reactive). Also, it's hard to force myself to learn about things that don't apply to me(like I'm probably a bit ignorant about sx cause I'm sx blind and also Ni/Se). Also, if I see two different definitions of a type or function, it makes me extremely anxious especially if it has to do with my self typing. But how do I achieve truth if I completely block out a new set of beliefs? I have to tell myself to relieve that anxiety, what's common sense that lines up with type patterns? New information about the individual themselves makes me anxious too, like @Arcturus stated. Makes me feel like I have to throw out everything and all my biases and start fresh, all that analysis for what? It's only easy if you've known that person for awhile and you can update that profile over time.

My poor 3L.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
New information about the individual themselves makes me anxious too, like @Arcturus stated. Makes me feel like I have to throw out everything and all my biases and start fresh, all that analysis for what? It's only easy if you've known that person for awhile and you can update that profile over time.

My poor 3L.

Review your data. Look at the evidence and your conclusions, as well as what process led you to it.

Understand how the misunderstanding happened. Did you decide too soon? Did you misinterpret a certain piece of information? How frequently do these misunderstandings happen, and when do they tend to happen? Do they tend to happen with certain types over others- do you have biases?

Gleaning your weaknesses from this process can also help you forecast the potential accuracy of your typings in the future, which means you will then know to be more flexible and ask more questions to make sure that your data and conclusions are more robust, as well as help you be aware that you not getting more out of someone could likely mean you are missing pieces of information rather than you having finally understood all there is to understand about them.

You refine this through time, trial, and error. But false, or rather, inaccurate conclusions are not wasted.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I voted 10. I'm probably the only person on this site (active at least) that actually knows how to type.

I don't mean I get 100% accuracy, but even 50% accuracy is high, and I would get more than that.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Terrible… 3, maybe 4. I suck at it. I can’t even type myself accurately, let alone other people.