• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary and Inferior

Is the four function model valid?

• Total voters

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes your thoughts and opinions on things don't initially comply, or at least interpretation doesn't. Diverging debates and arguments. Happens to every one. sometimes you're coherent sometimes you're not, In my case its the luck of the draw.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Sometimes your thoughts and opinions on things don't initially comply, or at least interpretation doesn't. Diverging debates and arguments. Happens to every one. sometimes you're coherent sometimes you're not, In my case its the luck of the draw.
Don't you EVER accuse me of being sometimes coherent again.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
If you are in fact serious you can replace those "you're"s with "your". If that's any consolation.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
My typing and sense making skills seem to be failing me tonight. Disregard it.

So anyways... 3 and 4. Cool numbers huh?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I agree with the existance of the 8 functions- because an F or T, for instance, is too flat and one dimensional to describe the difference between types. I don't, however, beleive in the rigidity of the origional system. The first two of the 8 functions are what matters in determining your type, after that, the functions don't necissarily occur in the specified order- and this is how people of the same type can be quite different.

For instance- Ne/Ti makes me an ENTP, even though the next function is Se instead of the "correct" function of Fe. The idea that we are defined by 4 functions alone seems rather silly.

I'm not discounting functions alltogether, but I think that a person can definitley have different tertiary and inferior functions than were origionally prescribed.

This theory would finally be the first theory that would justify the Fi for me in the third place.

I am just so afraid to change anything in MBTI, because I lack the experience with those psychological BS.

There are a lot of psychological analysis out in the internet right know about the special types and I bet there is less than 0% of the types who read their profile and can absolutely agree with it.

Therefore MBTI absolutely needs to be improved. It needs more room for personalization. But dont ask me how to do that. If you need a machine by the way, who automatically opens beer cans for you, I just might now the right person to make it COOOOOOOOME true :D:D:D

So, I am out for tonite, see you tomorrow

gn8

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
To OP: I've thought of them as very unreliable, not much more persistent than what you'd have by random chance. There might be some weak statistical correlation between function #1 and functions #3-#8, but it must be really weak. It bothers me some to hear people speak confidently of "your third function", "your fourth", etc..

I use the standard model too, sometimes, even though I don't trust it. I'm inviting for people to bring evidence on it.

I just ignore most of what people tell about functions #3-8 per standard model.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm inviting for people to bring evidence on it.

That was the entire point of this thread.

No one has given anything other than "well I personally have noticed" and they weren't even able to rebut a routine confirmation bias check.

I'd like to hear someone say why it has to be that way, rather than why it historically has been or other such nonsense.

Then it's at least plausible.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it is extremely valid for what it is. it is also the model the temperaments were derived from and imho the temperaments are better for understanding people than anything else. any individual system is only so good. its best to use multiple systems to understand people. i tend to use the temperaments for basic understanding. the functions for the cognition and the enneagram with motivation and external behavior. so one individual system is only as good as what the create created it to do. any more and it gets ugly, because it wasn't necessarily created for that.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
it is extremely valid for what it is. it is also the model the temperaments were derived from and imho the temperaments are better for understanding people than anything else.
2 most dominant functions suffice to define temperaments. This thread is about 3rd and 4th.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eight function model!:woot:
We all obviously use all eight; it's just a matter of what role the other six fall into (regardless of necessary relative strength)

redacted

I'll answer that question in a moment -- once we establish this:
What is the use of a correlation in a typology?
Perhaps I'm off my mark, but it was always my assumption that the aim of a typology is to enhance individual insight. The first two functions allow for us to reach that, because they're present enough to have a very strong bearing on behavior and personality.

Tertiary and Inferior on the other hand -- the rare birds; the ones happening along as the Primaries see fit -- don't make a legitimate impact on the insight, and studying a correlation (better named a confirmed bias, as you so aptly did) would inevitably encroach on observation: the very foundation of knowledge seeking.

There are more than 16 combinations of two functions.

So...why not apply your logic even further and not even specify a 2nd function? (I've only picked INFJ because it's the closest fit...I could fit even better if Ni/Ti had any legitimacy.)

Why is the correlation between Ji being the first and Pe being the second (and vice versa, and for Je/Pi) somehow more valid than the correlations I'm talking about?

I like 1, 2, and 4.

The rest are eh.

Why do you like 2?

--------------------------------

Honestly, 2 functions contain far too little information to provide any sort of quasi-deep (at least as deep as a system like this can go) insight. If someone is an NT, I'm usually just as interested in their F function as their N and T (yes, I'm revealing my S bias). If someone is SF, I'm interested in all four.

And honestly, there are trends in 4 function (8 function really) distributions that are legitimate in the same way as the correlation you've taken for granted in making this thread.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the argument is that many people by virtue of their environment or other reasons build up different functions, or utilize others to a much greater degree, making their type representation only valid in their mind when you look at the leading two functions.

I think people sort of aren't seeing your point though. I was trying to sort of flesh that out a little bit but obviously I haven't studied this system too intensively, except for my own type, so making decisive conclusions wasn't in my best interests. In terms of analysis sometimes the weaker functions can tell a little bit more about a person in general, at least based on your own biased interpretations.

For example as a dominant feeler you have a much greater ability to sort of see just how often and to what extent inferior feeling functions play themselves out. Is it not something that we all do, I know for instance I can easily tell whether someone is a dominant feeler or not by just how often and how weak their impersonal decision making is. The same could be said for sensing. It's a point that other people vehemently denied and glossed over when stating their case for the two function theory.

I do subscribe to the two function theory in essence, because I really believe that when push comes to shove you make decisions based on the dominant two traits. Sometimes people are so subconscious with their decision making that they don't realize that they are using some tactics in making their decisions. Its a thing that I notice is somewhat common to thinkers.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
4 function system. And you don't fuck with it. INTPs are Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, ALWAYS, and in that order. This is how and why the system was created. The system is a system. Obviously it isn't perfect, but it was never given. Since there is no such thing, in reality, as Ti, Ne, etc. etc., that is specifically why you cannot change them. It is taking them out of context. Many people here don't understand them.

redacted

I think the argument is that many people by virtue of their environment or other reasons build up different functions, or utilize others to a much greater degree, making their type representation only valid in their mind when you look at the leading two functions.

I think people sort of aren't seeing your point though. I was trying to sort of flesh that out a little bit but obviously I haven't studied this system too intensively, except for my own type, so making decisive conclusions wasn't in my best interests. In terms of analysis sometimes the weaker functions can tell a little bit more about a person in general, at least based on your own biased interpretations.

For example as a dominant feeler you have a much greater ability to sort of see just how often and to what extent inferior feeling functions play themselves out. Is it not something that we all do, I know for instance I can easily tell whether someone is a dominant feeler or not by just how often and how weak their impersonal decision making is. The same could be said for sensing. It's a point that other people vehemently denied and glossed over when stating their case for the two function theory.

I do subscribe to the two function theory in essence, because I really believe that when push comes to shove you make decisions based on the dominant two traits. Sometimes people are so subconscious with their decision making that they don't realize that they are using some tactics in making their decisions. Its a thing that I notice is somewhat common to thinkers.

The problem with the paragraph I put in bold is that I haven't always been this way. Fe was repressed and Ti was environmentally enhanced until I was 17ish. Ni Ti would have described me much better than Ni Fe would have at that point in my life. At this point, I've consciously pushed myself toward Fe and been slightly less nurturing towards Ti for the last 5+ years, so Ni Fe is a pretty good approximation. But I still think my conscious experience is more Ti oriented than Fe oriented.

Basically my point is that there needs to be a distinction made between the roles of functions and the amount of usage of functions. The "function order" refers to the roles of the functions, not anything else. If we make this distinction clear, we'd stop fighting so much about all this shit.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
4 function system. And you don't fuck with it. INTPs are Ti, Ne, Si, Fe, ALWAYS, and in that order. This is how and why the system was created. The system is a system. Obviously it isn't perfect, but it was never given. Since there is no such thing, in reality, as Ti, Ne, etc. etc., that is specifically why you cannot change them. It is taking them out of context. Many people here don't understand them.
Except....Nevermind, it's not worth it. *violent disagreement*