• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

using MBTI

haweva

MBTI Type
ISFP
hello! Im currently doing a research for our school... the aim is to help the student choose the course they would best fit in by using MBTI(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).. I want to know if how effective is this MBTI to my research hehehe.... thanks

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it can be quite easy if you understand MBTI in its entirety. unfortuntatelly if they were to choose classes that way i wouldn't be in my major.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
There's quite a bit of research out there on the careers different types cluster into, but it isn't a real simple linear process.
  • If you're using teh official MBTI in research, you have to remember that it;s a self-reporting instrument so about 70% of your sample will be typed correctly unless you go through teh standard verification process so that your research is based on best fit type
  • Majors can lead to so many careers that the results aren't quite as clear.
  • even within a field liek medicine, we see types clustering into different specialties. For example, there are more EF family practitioners, more IT pathologists, more ST orthopedic surgeons, etc.
  • For majors...most philosophy majors prefer N. A preponderance of English majors are NF, but of course there are English majors of every type.

So your question was if it's useful. If used properly, you should see patterns. there's a ton of published stuff on career patterns, a little bit on majors. As far as applying what you learn, type is always supposed to be used to open possibilities, not limit. So one wouldn't want school counselors saying, "Well, you're an ISFP. You shouldn't be thinking about hard sciences." Instead they should be asking, "What's your motivation for thinking about biology? what has been your experience wiht science classes?" You wouldn't want them handing students lists of majors by types and saying choose from these because it's motivation that drives success, not just type preferences..

haweva

MBTI Type
ISFP
thanks guys!!! i have a second question...

since each personality type has its own description, how can we know what courses can we take? like for ISFP... one of the occupation for ISFP is artist... so i should get an art major. something like that. am i going off topic now? sorry..

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
thanks guys!!! i have a second question...

since each personality type has its own description, how can we know what courses can we take? like for ISFP... one of the occupation for ISFP is artist... so i should get an art major. something like that. am i going off topic now? sorry..

That is a bad way of looking at things. MBTI should be used for understanding, not for limiting yourself to a particular profession or what course you "can" take. Don't let MBTI tell you what you can and cannot take. Pick the course that you show interest in and finds it useful to learn about.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
hello! Im currently doing a research for our school... the aim is to help the student choose the course they would best fit in by using MBTI(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).. I want to know if how effective is this MBTI to my research hehehe.... thanks
There are several books written based on that very premise.
Here are two:
Do What You Are
What Color Is Your Parachute