• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Relation between Jung and Freud ’Unification theory of classic psychology’

jeppedermann

MBTI Type
INTP
I have found that there is a direct relation between Jungian typology and Freudian psychosexual development. It appears that Jung and Freud were typing people according to the exact same categories.

I have been verifying this relation for about a year now, and it all just fits in I believe.

It appears that each MBTI-type correspond to 4 of the psychosexual roles of psychosexual development. Not only 1 role as some might believe.

Every Jungian function corresponds to a Freudian ‘stage’ - Or ‘problematic’ to be exact. Since there are 4, not 3.

The direction of a function decides whether it corresponds with the progressive or regressive role of the ‘stage’/’problematic’

The ‘Unification theory’ is available on my web-site:

http://www.jeppegj.dk/

Self-structure and roles of the MBTI types:

jung_freud_rel.gif

http://www.jeppegj.dk/MBTI_ego_structure.htm

Regards Jeppe G. Jensen

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there a reason you dropped the ID out?

And how did you determine assignment of Ego and SuperEgo (which I think are partially socially reinforced constructs, at the least)?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What a weird coincidence - I was pondering the possibility of links between Jung's and Freud's ideas just a few minutes ago!

I would suggest a connection between Type functions, John Beebe's Jungian archetypes, and Freud's Ego, ID and Superego as follows:

1. Dominant function = Hero = Ego
2. Auxiliary function = Good Parent = Superego
3. Tertiary function = Eternal Child = ID

The fourth, inferior function, linked to the Anima/Animus archetype, possibly equates to our relationships with others, or to put it another way, everything that is "not-self". I derived this from the fact that most people tend to disown their inferior function and project it's qualities, both desirable and undesirable, onto others.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
MBTI corresponds with many theories and different intelligences quite easily and without much thought...

interesting nonetheless

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
coll thread title, I dont know what it means, though

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting.
So it looks like
Anal=Thinking
Narcissist=iNtuition
Phallic=Sensing
Oral=Feeling

You would think oral would be Sensing. Wonder what makes it Feeling?

jeppedermann

MBTI Type
INTP

Well, you can say that all types include the 'id'. But since it is repressed by the 'ego' and 'superego', people with strong selves represses the ‘id’. According to psychoanalytic theory, ego and superego are developed during the first three stages, oral, anal and phallic.

I assigned the ego and superego according to the nature of the roles.

prog. anal – reg. oral – strong ego
reg. anal – prog. oral – weak ego
prog phallic - reg. narc. - strong superego
Reg. phallic – prog narc. – weak superego

image001.gif

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So by the looks of it, I'm an anal narcissist?

jeppedermann

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, this is not just a relation that I found out yesterday on a pub or some other place. I have not attempted to bend things, so that it would fit in. It just fits in all the way around I think. I will say that I am quite astonished about is.

Yes, if you are indeed an ENTP (eN), then the word “unification” would sound cool to you I recon. I also like it!

If you look at the ‘Oral’ 'aspiration to dissolve self' section of the theory, you will know why I judge this.

By the way - For what reasons do you believe oral is sensing?

Yes, INTJ is 'anal-narcissist'. Remember to keep in mind the direction of the functions. Introversion/extroversion of a function to a degree leads to opposite behaviour.

So your primary function tells you that you have very high expectation of yourself and others. Your secondary function tells you, that you can be controlling of your environment - Among other things.

---
Thank you for Replies. Jeppedermann. :D

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, this is not just a relation that I found out yesterday on a pub or some other place. I have not attempted to bend things, so that it would fit in. It just fits in all the way around I think. I will say that I am quite astonished about is.
don't be. look into any other psychological theory and you will see some sort of relation to MBTI. just for the record your relations with the id, superego, and ego are, from what i can tell and intuite, correct, but i will look into it further. ive really only glanced lol. i knew Myers Briggs before i read through psychology books. when i started reading them, the amount of connections i could make blew me away. so initially i was astonished also but the more i got into the more i realized the connections are there for a reason. that is the fun of mbti. a more applicable use of MBTI is its link with the physical brain and body. very interesting stuff. i suggest reading into the neurotransmitters of the brain :)

EDIT:

i hope i didn't sounds "snooty" if thats the right word in my first post. the connection was obvious to me and i just didn't go into it enough because im lazy and incompetent lol

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you look at the ‘Oral’ 'aspiration to dissolve self' section of the theory, you will know why I judge this.

By the way - For what reasons do you believe oral is sensing?
Because isn't oral about taste, and also touch, even? But then I'm thinking of the stages of development (oral, anal, etc), and maybe it's not the same as the way you're using it?

jeppedermann

MBTI Type
INTP
The relations between MBTI and physical phenomena in the brain, body sounds very interesting. Perhaps you would even recommend material on this issue?

MBTI and Psychoanalytic are describing very ‘core’ motivations. Therefore it is not surprising if other theories include certain elements of them. Since basic motivation influence everything. This is what makes these theories particularly exiting I think. Also, what things have in common is our focus (as eN’s)... :)

I see your point. Oral is more about ‘lust’ than taste I believe. Feeding can be a way to achieve satisfaction. Some oral persons would eat almost anything that comes their way to achieve satisfaction. Then taste isn’t what preoccupies them.

I judge them on is their idealised world view. All needs should be satisfied at once.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
The relations between MBTI and physical phenomena in the brain, body sounds very interesting. Perhaps you would even recommend material on this issue?

MBTI and Psychoanalytic are describing very ‘core’ motivations. Therefore it is not surprising if other theories include certain elements of them. Since basic motivation influence everything. This is what makes these theories particularly exiting I think. Also, what things have in common is our focus (as eN’s)... :)

I see your point. Oral is more about ‘lust’ than taste I believe. Feeding can be a way to achieve satisfaction. Some oral persons would eat almost anything that comes their way to achieve satisfaction. Then taste isn’t what preoccupies them.

I judge them on is their idealised world view. All needs should be satisfied at once.

read The Edge Effect by Eric Braverman

its worth adding to your library :)