• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality type as an excuse for bad habits.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I was going to meet a friend at X the other day.
I arrived at X on time, and after fifteen minutes of waiting I sent her a message:
"Where are you? Late again..."

The response was:
"Give me a break, I'm a P."

No, it's not an excuse.
I'm P and extremely punctual, so no, it really isn't.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I was going to meet a friend at X the other day.
I arrived at X on time, and after fifteen minutes of waiting I sent her a message:
"Where are you? Late again..."

The response was:
"Give me a break, I'm a P."

No, it's not an excuse.
I'm P and extremely punctual, so no, it really isn't.

Hope you had along something to do...Love my Amazon Kindle as I always have several books with AND a quick way to check bbcnews...

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yeah, but being perfect means spending time checking on whether things are done perfectly. :yes:

I don't know where I read this, but rumor has it that you guys are such perfectionists that if something isn't perfect you just end up screwing yourself over by not turning it in. Better screwed than imperfect . . . or something like that.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't know where I read this, but rumor has it that you guys are such perfectionists that if something isn't perfect you just end up screwing yourself over by not turning it in. Better screwed than imperfect . . . or something like that.

Not me. That'd be INFJ with Enneagram 1 or Strong Interest Inventory Conventional. I on the other hand am E 7 and SII SIA...saving me from such grief.:devil:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I know what you mean, I am hard on myself too, but I am pretty sure I have a good reason to do it. As always though, I love the wisdom you bring into these convo’s, then again, you’re an INTJ and don’t care what I think :devil: (j/k)
tee-hee :smile:
Thanks for the appreciation. :hug:
I think the older INTJs care a little bit more than the younger ones. :newwink:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I remember I used to see stuff that said that people who write down their goals are more likely to achieve them, so I gave it a try. Now I realize that's just a correlation, and the people who are more likely to be goal-focused, are more likely to achieve their goals and more likely to write them down. Making goals just doesn't work too well for me because I'm not that goal directed.

As a bigger fan of the Big Five I think of J as high conscientiousness, and I believe it's quite common for MBTI fans to incorporate the trait of low agreeableness (A) into J, when really it's a separate factor.

J low in A = I don't want to change my plans, and my schedule for YOU!

J high in A = Okay, I'll work your needs into my schedule.

P types = Who needs a schedule?

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I dunno. I think it has something to do with TV. :yes:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember I used to see stuff that said that people who write down their goals are more likely to achieve them, so I gave it a try. Now I realize that's just a correlation, and the people who are more likely to be goal-focused, are more likely to achieve their goals and more likely to write them down. Making goals just doesn't work too well for me because I'm not that goal directed.

As a bigger fan of the Big Five I think of J as high conscientiousness, and I believe it's quite common for MBTI fans to incorporate the trait of low agreeableness (A) into J, when really it's a separate factor.

Agreeableness seems to match Keirsey/Berens' "Informing communications" (vs directing), while Conscientiousness would correspond to Keirsey's "Cooperativeness". For Sensors, Informing/directing is indicated by T/F, and Conscientiousness by J/P; but for iNtuitors, informing/directing is J/P, hence, "low Agreeableness" represented by J on that half of the types.

FFM-MBTI correlations have probably not been done with Keirsey's new factors, so that's why the connection does not seem to be as well known.

am_i_evil666

Are you really sure that you want to always feel like you have to do something? And not being able to sleep past 8 AM? eheh

but are you sure that Ps don't ...sometimes....feel they have to do something? :smile:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with INTJMom and Jeffster--I'm much more the type to be hard on myself, so knowing that part of it is just the way I am has been helpful to me. Before, I was constantly trying to fix myself to be more like those around me, and it was pulling me apart inside.

Ideally, I strive for a balance, and I'm happiest when I feel there's some balance to my more prominent characteristics or preferences, rather than leaning on them heavily. But at least knowledge of MBTI has helped me to not judge myself harshly for my preferences.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

QFT.

I'm a moderate J with a relatively high amount of A (usually test as RCox|I|), and that's the way that I generally deal with people.

If I need something from someone, e.g. I need colleagues to look something over, I work to specific deadlines in my head so that they will have more than ample time to do what I need, twice-over. I get especially pissed when people (e.g. my ISFP friend) makes excuses for two weeks like "I don't feel like writing" and sends me drafts 2 days before the due date, telling me that she needs a corrected version by that very night. Didn't help that I was completely exhausted that day and only got the draft at 9pm. I work other people into my schedule, and I get really pissed off when people take advantage of that - especially since I don't say "no" to them if it's a professional matter. [/rant]

I think immature personalities (be it E, I, N, S, F, T, J, P) will generally make excuses for antisocial behavior. It comes from being self-centered. So if it's not the MBTI, it'll be something else. *shrugs*

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
the N/S have many excuses. and personality type shouldn't be an excuse for anything

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What if you made excuses for your habits anyway, before you had MBTI to pin it on? That's what I did...MBTI just gave it some small amount of legitimation.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can pretty much rationalize any habit I want to. But perhaps learning about MBTI has made the "that's just the way you are" argument in my head hold more weight and get it's way more often.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...i think i'm starting to get it now but i don't think it makes it alright...i think you still have to try and work on things...knowing what they are helps a lot though

nhx

I use it all the time for my time-wasting habits and my social awkwardness. I used to use it as an excuse when i was being rude to someone, but I've realized that that's just as rude and a bit insulting.

N = (No complaints here)
S = (No complaints here)

I have a bad habit of writing off S-types completely. "Oh, they won't follow what I'm talking about and I'll likely bore them, so why bother?" I usually get that glazed-eye look from my sister when I start talking.