• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe Misconceptions

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
fE iS kINdnEsS

Just adding this to the list of misconceptions.

Fe can definitely be used for emotional leverage/manipulation/hurtful behavior. Picking up on emotional cues doesn’t always mean one knows how to interpret that information clearly, nor does it mean a person isn’t capable of using that info in a toxic way.

Every type is just as capable of compassion or callousness as any other, I think.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Fe can definitely be used for emotional leverage/manipulation/hurtful behavior. Picking up on emotional cues doesn’t always mean one knows how to interpret that information clearly, nor does it mean a person isn’t capable of using that info in a toxic way.

Every type is just as capable of compassion or callousness as any other, I think.
Yep. I think too often values get confused with morals, too.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] made some valid points that I think are frequently overlooked, sometimes resulting in Fe types mistyping as Fi:

Fe definitely doesn't mean wholly conflict avoidant. If anything, Fe makes me want to problem-solve as quickly as possible, for all involved. Conflict is simply a part of life with other people, & unresolved conflict feels like an anvil hanging over my head, waiting to drop. I hate drawing that out.

The above is an expression of wanting to solve problems in the external, between people. It's rather involved.

As can Fi, but again... where is the point of focus and awareness? Is one involving oneself in the dynamics of the external, between or among others? Or is one trying to dig into the internal of another? Typically a singular person or a group of similar people.

Where is the point of focus? Where is the awareness? Are you managing, helping, manipulating, or lecturing those in the external who are upsetting the external? Or are you doing the same thing with an individual or individualized group who is upsetting the more narrowed internal (of themselves or others)?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] made some valid points that I think are frequently overlooked, sometimes resulting in Fe types mistyping as Fi:

The above is an expression of wanting to solve problems in the external, between people. It's rather involved.

As can Fi, but again... where is the point of focus and awareness? Is one involving oneself in the dynamics of the external, between or among others? Or is one trying to dig into the internal of another? Typically a singular person or a group of similar people.

Where is the point of focus? Where is the awareness? Are you managing, helping, manipulating, or lecturing those in the external who are upsetting the external? Or are you doing the same thing with an individual or individualized group who is upsetting the more narrowed internal (of themselves or others)?

Not sure if the end of this was rhetorical, general, or specifically a question for me. I think this is where Fe/Fi stuff gets muddied by other functions, perhaps? I find myself seeking to help externally for external reasons/to improve overall group dynamics, but I also narrow down a lot & try to do the same on an individual level. I often find myself taking apart things with my best friend that upsets her, pointing out patterns, helping her reach conclusions about how to approach a problem or reach a new level of emotional insight. Usually just by asking questions, not telling her directly what she should do. Or just soak up when she needs to vent & try not to fix. Depends. Not sure if that’s related. Ultimately, Fe can be other-focused, and that I think can be both interpersonal as well as intrapersonal (regarding that other as opposed to self). Dependent on bonds & circumstance. :shrug:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Not sure if the end of this was rhetorical, general, or specifically a question for me. I think this is where Fe/Fi stuff gets muddied by other functions, perhaps? I find myself seeking to help externally for external reasons/to improve overall group dynamics, but I also narrow down a lot & try to do the same on an individual level. I often find myself taking apart things with my best friend that upsets her, pointing out patterns, helping her reach conclusions about how to approach a problem or reach a new level of emotional insight. Usually just by asking questions, not telling her directly what she should do. Or just soak up when she needs to vent & try not to fix. Depends. Not sure if that’s related. Ultimately, Fe can be other-focused, and that I think can be both interpersonal as well as intrapersonal. Dependent on bonds & circumstance. :shrug:

Sorry... it was rhetorical. I didn't mean to make it seem targeted at you. It was also somewhat of a generalization intended for contrasting purposes, specifically with the direction of focus or point of reference.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry... it was rhetorical. I didn't mean to make it seem targeted at you. It was also somewhat of a generalization intended for contrasting purposes, specifically with the direction of focus or point of reference.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. My brain’s winding down for the day, haha.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I gotta tell, I must be one of those who are misunderstanding this subject. I'm browsing through ideas which I think describe the subject. 20 years through I understand it partly. A scientist at heart, surely I understand some things.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought that I was an Fe-user (passionate and shows emotions readily) but I am really bad at influencing the way that OTHERS feel. I have had trouble reading people, body language, and conversation dynamics when I was younger. This struggle seems anti-Fe. Socionics defines Fe well.