User Tag List

123 Last

Socionics
    SLI

Default Taking MBTT too seriously

Uhm, is it me or do some people here seem to take MBTT a little too seriously?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    Uhm, is it me or do some people here seem to take MBTT a little too seriously?
    I'm thinking it's not you.

But oh my yes. You hit the nail on the head, toots. It's a theory, not a fact, interesting, but not falsifiable, and therefore not scientific. That's why I really appreciate that this new site doesn't require a field to declare type. Having to wade through the stereotypes associated with whichever type you declare yourself to be is very much like trudging through a field knee-deep in cow patties. A habit can develop in which people's words are twisted to fit the expectations of whatever type the reader is assuming them to possess. IMO it's very important on an MBTI site to have critics and threads exploring the limitations of the system.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Here are a couple of links to threads on other forums critiquing the system.

INTPcentral

INTPcentral

philosophyforums

It is considered pop psychology. The dogmatic approach to it is also pseudo-intellectualism. The stereotyping of people to the extent that certain behaviors are expected of them based on their type with the assumption that there is nothing they can do to change it, has gone beyond reason. That is pristine prejudice. It isn't even close to Jung's original theories. People use it as a way to simplify the world and justify ideas that otherwise have no justification.

It's an interesting theory and I enjoy learning about it and analyzing it. More than that I enjoy critiquing it as a way to balance its apparently natural tendency towards prejudicial thinking. People appear to forget that prejudice towards races and cultures were often justified with pseudo-science throughout the twentieth century.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    It's an interesting theory and I enjoy learning about it and analyzing it. More than that I enjoy critiquing it as a way to balance its apparently natural tendency towards prejudicial thinking. People appear to forget that prejudice towards races and cultures were often justified with pseudo-science throughout the twentieth century.
    btw, we're looking for a few mods for PhrenologyCentral -- anyone interested?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    btw, we're looking for a few mods for PhrenologyCentral -- anyone interested?
    I'd probably end up putting a few extra dents in some skulls which would make the system less objective and scientific. Better pass.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd probably end up putting a few extra dents in some skulls which would make the system less objective and scientific. Better pass.
    Ha -- Exactly what I would expect a melancholic endomorph to say!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It seems to me that most of the criticism against the MBTI theories are that people misuse it and therefore it must be diminished. That doesn't make sense. Merely teach it better surely?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It seems to me that most of the criticism against the MBTI theories are that people misuse it and therefore it must be diminished. That doesn't make sense. Merely teach it better surely?
    From what I understand that is a big part of it. The other issue is that the theory is not falsifiable. Because of that it cannot be subjected to the scientific process. It is theory, not fact, and should be treated accordingly.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

From what I understand that is a big part of it. The other issue is that the theory is not falsifiable. Because of that it cannot be subjected to the scientific process. It is theory, not fact, and should be treated accordingly.
    No psychology nor philosophy is scientifically proven. Neither is quantum physics proven. How far does something have to be proven before it is relied upon?

Do you stop with the rope bridge or insist on the golden gate to cross each ravine?

(Note I'm not meaning to attack, just make a point about how relative reliability and proof is.)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    No psychology nor philosophy is scientifically proven. Neither is quantum physics proven. How far does something have to be proven before it is relied upon?

Do you stop with the rope bridge or insist on the golden gate to cross each ravine?

(Note I'm not meaning to attack, just make a point about how relative reliability and proof is.)
    I think things ought to be proven before they are relied upon... But thats my opinion, its also my humble opinion that much of psychology and philosophy could be considered "nonsense"... In the sense that some years ago homosexuality was considered an illness. Now they've changed that to reflect popular opinion... As for quantum physics, I can't speak much about that... I imagine they have done some experiments that utilize quantum theory and have had some kind of consistent results... But theory is theory...

I think people take mbti way way too seriously...
    Of course we all have different opinions on this one.

Ha -- Exactly what I would expect a melancholic endomorph to say!!
    lol