• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Rules": which function(s)? (Ti?)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I had wondered which function, if any particular one, is most focused on the idea of rules.

I think the answer is Ti.

I've come up with that now because I was thinking... STPs are into sports, NTPs are into science. What do sports and science have in common? They both operate on a set of rules.

So that's my answer.

What do you think?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it depends on the type of rules... sports might be more Te, as the rules don't really have to be logical at all. And science/math would be more Ti, at least philosophically. And you might consider some rules to be Fe if they're purely to promote interpersonal harmony, and Fi if they're to keep to a set of moral standards.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think it depends on the type of rules... sports might be more Te, as the rules don't really have to be logical at all. And science/math would be more Ti, at least philosophically. And you might consider some rules to be Fe if they're purely to promote interpersonal harmony, and Fi if they're to keep to a set of moral standards.

Te is still a kind of logic, but it's more to do with how something functions. It's dynamic. Like how to operate a machine for instance. Or how to run a business. "How to..." logic.

I think with Fe/Fi... rather than requiring strict adherence to rules, it's more like there's a general moral atmosphere of what is and isn't ok, and that is enforced socially. So it's a bit different from "Do this to result in this. Do this and receive a penalty.", it's more organic rather than mechanical.

I think Te in sports is more about the "gameplan". Picture the coach being like "Ok, so here's what we do: you move here, then pass the ball over to this player, and then we go down the field..." or something like that. Not all sports will require a Ti mindset, but I think many will, because you're constantly navigating within the rules, and having to model your behaviour based on the ideals of the sport.

Fe does have a similar thing to rules, which is code of conduct. To Fe, there are just certain ways you conduct yourself. Maybe you conduct yourself differently around one person than the next. So this would be different from the rules I'm referring to in the OP which are like... things you have to do, or else you've committed a fallacy/infringement. But I suppose a code of conduct is a kind of rules, and so too are values, and so too are procedures.

So then, what would be a better term that describes the overlapping elements of sports and science, that aligns with Ti?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think generally the word "principles" is used to provide broader "essence of" rules for existence.

Ti is concerned with the broad principles of reality that specifics conform to or operate under.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
As far as I remember, society general rule compliance was more attributed to Fe in Jung, but it is more attributed to Fe and Te (Extraverted Judgment in dichotomy), and when Si got transformed into Si=SJ, part of community passed the rule thing to Si.

Ti is more like seeking the rules in nature.. Or looking for patterns (when combined with Ne) to form laws of nature. Ti and Ti "rules" is related to this:
“The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).”
Ti work more on this way, rather than setting rules.

skimpit

I'd say rules are more about fairness. Ti is popular with XSTPs, I think, because there's an underlying system that allows them to be competitive, but it still promotes camaraderie (Fe). That underlying system is the logic of the gameplay. Some games are absolutely illogical. But if you look at them a certain way (which Se/Ni in STPs asks them to do), you'll get a logical outcome. They use the environment as a force to impose their personalized, learned system of how gameplay works. Se force meets Fe manipulation.

IMO.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say that Ti can lend oneself towards considering the concept of rules and questioning the rules, but would not in itself lead to an interest in following or enforcing rules. Also, IME the sciences are more Te heavy than Ti heavy. There can be a tendency in the sciences to sacrifice nuance and ignoring exceptions in favor of obtaining the most quantifiable, practical, and shareable result. This to me reads Te>Ti.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say that Ti can lend oneself towards considering the concept of rules and questioning the rules, but would not in itself lead to an interest in following or enforcing rules. Also, IME the sciences are more Te heavy than Ti heavy. There can be a tendency in the sciences to sacrifice nuance and ignoring exceptions in favor of obtaining the most quantifiable, practical, and shareable result. This to me reads Te>Ti.

But how can you create rules if there are exceptions? Shouldn't rules apply in all cases? I'd say that ignoring exceptions sounds more Ti then anything because it's searching for an abstract generality.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think generally the word "principles" is used to provide broader "essence of" rules for existence.

Ti is concerned with the broad principles of reality that specifics conform to or operate under.

I was thinking with the term "principles" though, doesn't it apply to Fi as well?

When I've been trying to read Fi, I've noticed a kind of "humanistic reasoning" or "moral principles" that are used, which I don't have a great innate grasp of.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Rule would mean to do something isn't permitted, allowed, or is forbidden ? For example stealing is illegal?
It is Fe with Si.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you consciously follow rules, you're imposing an external framework of what to do and what not to do on your behavior instead of letting your actions proceed according to their own inner logic. So rules are, in MBTI parlance, Te rather than Ti.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rules are Si, Fe, and Te. Some rules might pertain to Fi or Ti. It depends on what the rules are.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
fi only, all day, every day.

as forum secretary, i'll be taking requests starting now.

also: needless instigation is really cool, and a juvenile sign of pueriling coveting one's own "powers"

Last edited: