• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Clarifying the nature of Si

Smoke

MBTI Type
IsFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A Si-dom perceives an object in it's essence. For him it's not the present state of the object that matters. He's quite indifferent to the instant attributes, which are related to Se. His natural attitude is that of sensing the eternal in each object.
For him it's not novelty that matters. There's no need to buy something new and flashy if the previous object isn't broken.
Due to the nature of his sensing he may feel a sort of ecstatic state while perceiving ancient objects, like an old tree or a monument.

There's a tendency to anthroposize material objects. A tendency that can be compared to Ni-dom users' tendency to anthroposize concepts.
This is exacly what gave arise to the primitive myths and religions. For the primitive Si, in it's extreme form, the river is not inanimate. It has a soul, like the lake, the flower, the tree, etc. Such primordial tendencies are not totally repressed in modern Si-doms. They may not believe in the "soul", but they'll still sense something, and they'll have a special bond with such elements.

He divides objects into good and bad, and as a rule good corresponds to what's natural, long-lasting and feels good to his senses. Ephemeral flashiness is disliked. Abrasive stimuli are removed or at least ignored. What's unnatural and unknown seems out of control, and can trigger paranoid ideations due to the inferior nature of his Ne.

He can feel a strong connection to the objects of his past, but it's false to say he blindly accepts the values of his family and his nation. If those values contrast the above-mentioned principles, he'll stay true to the latter. As all introverts he's quite idiosyncratic.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I quite like this explanation. While I'm not dominated by nostalgia, I love feeling the history of objects and places. I agree with how a Si user accepts the past of his family. They see the value, and use in their culture. Good post.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I do have an appreciation for the aesthetics of a well-designed piece of tool, furniture, or appliance. Novelty and popularity have no appeal for me; I'm a pragmatist. I wouldn't say I divide objects into good and bad ... it's more "aesthetically pleasing or attractive" and "not". The part about the abrasive stimuli rings true. I have white walls with very little decoration (maybe this is why I'm disgusted with overly tattooed bodies) and I enjoy peace and quiet.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Many thread discusses Si. You can start reading from these:
Describe Si more clearly
about Si
Somebody Please Explain Si?
Role of Si in nostalgia
Ni vs Si, and more
One of Si nature is its irrationality, which means it doesn't subsumes to reason nor it requires or inquires it. I have an example. Once my mother wanted to mop the floor and she wanted that my sister away from the floor she was sitting on. She gets angered and taunted that my sister was like a rice sack completely fulled, that is large and hard to move when already placed in warehouse.
When my mother perceived my sister was like a rice sack, it doesn't require reason, she just perceives my sister resembles other object she already knew: a rice sack in warehouse.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the excerpt! Very good reference. Sometimes it's hard for me to quite grasp Si as a dominant type so it helps to have something to look back to.

OceanLight

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Si is very past oriented, and attached to objects or traditions of the past.

For example, an Si user would be more likely to be attached to an object or item, and not want to replace it with a new item. In contrast, Se wants to consume and may consume more materially.

Si is more frugal in what it consumes. It usually likes the physical environment in order and is more attached to ritual than Se.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Si?

Positive side of Si: Sensing of your body condition, easy access data from the brain, master body control, pay attention to every single detail in the room... FIRM personality
Negative side of Si: expect pattern in future just because he/she can find a lot of evidence that will be happen, paranoid about his/her future because of negative results and expecting negative results while actually he/she did everything perfect.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
“There's no need to buy something new and flashy if the previous object isn't broken.”

lol

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I really like this description. As a Si user, I'm really attracted to quirky things, but at the same time I do follow that notion of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I don't really like that phrase cause it just makes me sound boring, but yeah, I don't see the point of completely tossing away something just because you see something new. Got to be frugal sometimes. I have a pair of pajama pants I've had since I was like 12 that I still wear, and I'm in my 20s now. They're still a good fit and they do their job, so why not?

I've learned that Si doesn't always mean organized, especially in the socionics realm. Si users enjoy a comfortable environment so that can mean an organized house, but it's not necessarily calendars and to-do lists. After all, it's a perceiving function. I can be messy sometimes and I'm not very good at writing things down or finishing projects, but I'm trying to keep my spaces clean because it's easy on the eyes. And yeah, I don't enjoy anything abrasive. I avoid chaos and enjoy my peace and quiet, and I get pretty moody at the sound of clanging pots, invaded space and the touch of a stranger.

I have appreciation for a lot of sensory delights. I like to savor the landscape around me, I like movies with really good animation. I like fancy food and drinks, I love getting immersed in music, I love browsing random art on Tumblr and Pinterest. I enjoy fashion and going for certain looks and have a decent sense of what looks good together. When I'm about to eat something, I intuitively know if it will taste good or not(I guess that's a talent?). What can I say, I'm a woman of taste.

I relate to feeling that euphoria of seeing old things. I find vintage things very interesting-it really is like traveling back in time or digging up a mysterious time capsule. It's fun to imagine what my life would have been like if I had been born in a different time period-what clothes I would have worn and what I would have done for fun. I have a lot of nostalgia for my own past and enjoy reflecting on it because I tend to believe that things were better back then. TV shows, gaming, the internet, even myself. I sound like an old man, but things genuinely feel that way to me. I agree too, that yeah, they don't have to blindly follow the traditions of society. Especially as introverts, why should we pay so much attention to what the outside world thinks? Personal traditions can be comforting for them, but yeah, we shouldn't have to adhere to them if they don't interest us or have anything to do with us personally. For me, I don't care a ton about tradition from a societal standpoint, but I'm still young. Sometimes tradition can be overdone and boring and fun to break, other times there's a certain beauty in it. If each country didn't have it's own traditions for example, the world would be a bland place. Some traditions I worry about missing out on cause of their special nature(like weddings), but tradition is fun to break in my everyday life. I've also developed a bit of a "Maine pride" from my interest in traveling, and since I grew up there, I consider it part of who I am. I have a pretty good long term memory as well-conversations, dates, fun facts, meals, places, fun things from my childhood are all engraved in my mind. Sometimes when I'm sitting and obversing things closely I get random memories that I haven't thought of for awhile(for example, seeing a file cabinet might bring back school memories). I also get a lot of Deja Vu from my dreams..but I think the Deja Vu comes from other dreams.