• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hap's Theory of Dynamic Type

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, here we go.

There is one thing that Jack Flak has a point on -- many introverted judging types are no less judgers than their extroverted brethren, and on with perceivers, despite being 'perceiving' primaries, and so on with perceivers. Because of this, for intents and purposes of this thread, I'm going to call the top two functions that Judgers have (Fe, Te, Ni, Si) 'judging' functions and the top two functions Perceivers have (Fi, Ti, Ne, Se) 'perceiving' functions, even though they're not called such in everything else. This is because there is a peculiar way that judgers think and perceivers think but are linked to both traditionally called 'judging' and 'perceiving' functions.

So here, judging means 'wants closure' and perceiving means 'wants open-endedness'

I hope I haven't confused you enough yet.

So, what we have is our continuum of introversion to extroversion below:

<Extreme Extroversion ----- Extroversion ---- Ambiversion ----- Introversion ----- Extreme Introversion>

The origin is Ambiversion. You do not fall on that point.

So each person, and each function, falls on some point on the spectrum. N can be either 'extroverted' or 'introverted' and to some extent. The more extreme, the more particular it is to i or e of the function as prescribed by MBTI.

Also, the 'order' of functions is fluid, and depends on the person. The shorthand for the functions to work with are in the MBTI type codes that you already have.

Here are some variations for a common type code on these forums, INTP.

Ti Ne Si

This is your garden variety INTP, 'normal' among what MBTI describes. However, not all INTPs have to be like this to still be considered INTPs. These are some variations that aren't quite this, but still do not fit any other type:

Ti Si Fe

An INTP who highly favors introversion. Any extroversion is handled not by choice, so it falls onto something the INTP does not prefer, Fe. This INTP may also look like a judger because two functions are 'judging' rather than just one. The difference, though, is the use of Ti, far to the 'introversion' side, matching closely how 'Ti' is described in MBTI, especially in its differences to Te.

Ti Te Ne

An INTP who highly favors their dominant function. Because of this, the first function's 'attitude' is not so fixed, though they do favor the introvert half of the spectrum. May seem a little like a judger, because a judging function comes earlier in the order, but is more 'perceiver-like' than the highly introverted INTP.

Ti Ne Fe

An INTP whose 'introversion' or '3rd function' has been discouraged. Still seems much like a perceiver, but more 'involved' than a typical introvert.

And then there are lots and lots more. The whole thing can be very dynamic but one thing that always remains the same would be dominant function, and the attitude of the second and third function (What differentiates an INTP from an ISTP is that one prefers Ne/Si and the other prefers Se/Ni).

S, N, T, and F may fall close to the center and be proficient in both sides but will, the vast majority of the time, prefer one or the other.

Anyway, theory done. The point is, just because somebody settles on one type code (INTP, for example), doesn't mean they're exactly Ti, Ne, Si. Profiles can be misleading because that's what they describe rather than any variation. They don't allow for any room to wiggle.

Not all INTPs, or any type, for that matter, are built the same. You can't go by the stereotypes enforced by the profiles.

But, of course, you knew that already. :yes:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
2000 :D:D

read you later, have to finish some things first.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Because of this, for intents and purposes of this thread, I'm going to call the top two functions that Judgers have (Fe, Te, Ni, Si) 'judging' functions and the top two functions Perceivers have (Fi, Ti, Ne, Se) 'perceiving' functions, even though they're not called such in everything else.

Ti Si Fe

... This INTP may also look like a judger because two functions are 'judging' rather than just one. ...

I just wanted to clarify this... Why would they look like a judger?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There's a defined difference between Introverts and Extroverts. It's a switch. They can act like each other, but that doesn't make them each other.

It seems as if you're agreeing with some of the fundamentals behind my system, so I recommend trying it out.

Add: itionally, you've ended up with so many types that the generalization behind type study doesn't exist anymore. You might as well say "Everyone's an individual!," give them a hug, and be done with it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ok I read it and it sounds good. I like your style of describing your idea and saying at the end what you really mean. That makes it ESPECIALLY hard for the reader to follow :D.

I cant say much on the topic though, because I dont perceive people from the point of type theory, I perceive people from my point and then see eventually where they fit into type theory.

Your thought though is VERY important and intresting. Cause it has to be finally answered, why one intp for example, isnt the same like the other.

Will continue reading.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I just wanted to clarify this... Why would they look like a judger?

Because they're processing more like a 'judger' (with two 'closure functions') and only with one perceiving function.

Ti looks for internal consistency and things, right? Internal consistency cannot be completely know unless in a completely closed system, which people don't live in. This is still dominant, but assisting that would be focused sensory input and external harmony. Perceiving isn't quite so evident 1) because it's so introverted and 2) the main extroverted function evident would be judging, while the main perceiving function isn't seen.

So, while this holds true for introverts, an extroverted perceiver who is extremely extroverted won't look like a judger because, while they do prefer two 'judging' functions, their primary, perceiving function is still extremely noticeable.

If that answers your question.

redacted

LOL I was seriously going to post my own theory today or tomorrow, and part of it was exactly this...literally.

One thing -- I think there's really no point in even talking about Te and Ti as separate functions anymore. Function order gets really complicated -- A heavy thinking dominant INTP could be Ti Te Ne Si Fe... or Ti Ne Te Si Fe... or Ti Ne Te Ni Si, etc... But talking about Ti and Te as separate in the same way that Ti and Ne are separate is totally misleading. There should only be four functions, and values on the spectrum of introversion to extroversion for each. It's also a better way of visualizing the system when you start talking about trends/relations between introversion/extroversion values for separate functions (stuff like introversion for thinking being correlated to extroversion for feeling).

Did that all make sense? I'm really stoned right now...

(p.s. if/when you respond to me we'll have the exact same number of posts)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*nods to Hap* It's similar to something I have in my mind... except mine is a huge sphere.

These are polar points

Ni -- Si
Ne -- Se
Ti -- Fi
Te -- Fe

Arrange them 90 degrees apart.

Individuals defined as a smear along the surface of the sphere. The tighter the spread towards two poles (eg Ni Te) the better the fit towards one of the 16 types.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
One thing -- I think there's really no point in even talking about Te and Ti as separate functions anymore.

I dont know whats going on, just wanted to refer to that: no. There is a great difference.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
sry my lord, will go do my work again

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sry, did not want to say something inappropiate. I just think you are all shooting over the line. It's nice to have a plan laied out to fully understand everything, but such a plan will not encounter the things the person likes to tell you, you are eventually up to meet.

It's nice to have a plan, but if you dig too deep you will get lost

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Sry, did not want to say something inappropiate. I just think you are all shooting over the line. It's nice to have a plan laied out to fully understand everything, but such a plan will not encounter the things the person likes to tell you, you are eventually up to meet.

The German speaks the sense.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Are things about to get real nasty now ? :D

I got my new elefant underwear up and ready, haha I said "up" :D:D

redacted

You might as well make the system work its best within its limits.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes of course, but you cant change a system again and again and again. Then it was flawed from the beginning.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
after the last final change of the system or after me being counter-intuitive ?