User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    476

    Default Does intuition or sensor effect level of experiencing things?

    It’s just a complicated topic a little I’ve wondered if it’s my ancestry but I’ve always been a little sporty and really liked ethnic and colourful/vibrantly coloured things and always liked looking and touching feeling things. Like I loved paintings and they were a big deal to me before and found colours and things mesmerizing and I’d stare at paintings in wonder and wanted to be on because of this, for similar reasons I liked comic books as well. I think with music I just enjoyed it as this weird abstract outlet that is beyond personally subjective.

    I think since I was young my senses were too keen and strong and it made everyone angry at me and I’ve wondered if at times the N/S divide can sometimes be a case of experiencing your surroundings so much that you have to repress them? And does this somehow felt type theory?

    I think this photo of my stuff I a perfect example of what my problem is. I never realized it but...that’s kind of me.
    35A0D639-5149-4FA9-89B7-6B23811753AF.jpg

  2. #2
    Member whateverr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathhhank View Post
    It’s just a complicated topic a little I’ve wondered if it’s my ancestry but I’ve always been a little sporty and really liked ethnic and colourful/vibrantly coloured things and always liked looking and touching feeling things. Like I loved paintings and they were a big deal to me before and found colours and things mesmerizing and I’d stare at paintings in wonder and wanted to be on because of this, for similar reasons I liked comic books as well. I think with music I just enjoyed it as this weird abstract outlet that is beyond personally subjective.

    I think since I was young my senses were too keen and strong and it made everyone angry at me and I’ve wondered if at times the N/S divide can sometimes be a case of experiencing your surroundings so much that you have to repress them? And does this somehow felt type theory?

    I think this photo of my stuff I a perfect example of what my problem is. I never realized it but...that’s kind of me.
    35A0D639-5149-4FA9-89B7-6B23811753AF.jpg
    In terms of cognitive function, anything that is physical and concrete (colors, images, objects, numbers, etc) is S. Anything that requires imagination (patterns, concepts, ideas, representations, interpretation, etc) is N. So the way that you mainly perceive the world, most definitely change the way you experience it. Because if you choose to perceive less of the sensory and more of the intuition, you will pay more attention to everything that is "beyond" the sensory. So, it's likely, that if you are, let's say, dominantly a sensor, you will experience the world in a much more grounded manner. If you watched friends, you will get when i say that Phoebe is most definitely an intuitor and that Monica is, without a shadow of a doubt, a sensor. Their world views are very different.

    And about the repressing, i believe that your personality is mostly defined by what you choose to repress or, in some cases, what you refuse to repress, by means of declining it's opposite.

    The basic definition of the inferior function, in my view, is that it behaves like a "demon" to you. Your demons are mostly defined by your inferior functions. The demon of an ENFJ, is having to pay attention to their basic needs (Fe-Ti). Most likely, that is a person that, at an early age, was "taught" that their needs are hurtful and that they aren't as important as what it's valuable to others. So they grow up thinking that, when paying attention to their needs (Ti), they are neglecting the feelings of the external world (Fe), and that's a very difficult thing to process to someone who runs away from paying attention to that side of themselves. So it's common to see that it's developed this "martyr complex" in which they'd live for the well-being of the collective and neglecting themselves. So most of their personality will be defined by that.
    So it's fair to say that your dominant perceiving function has it's dominance due to what you chose to repress. However, you could go through the same process of "being taught that your needs are bad" and rebel to this, which would end up being a Ti dom - Fe inf person. So their personality would be develop according to their rebellion to what was taught to them in the first place.

    But in both ways, the dominant function only exists because you choose to decline it's opposite. So yeah, i think that the divide you experience is probably due to that. You are unwilling to recognize one of your sides unconsciously and that usually happens due to repression. But, in my completely baseless and unscientific opinion, i'd guess you're an Ne dom by the looks of the picture lol. I have the impression that most ExxP's would empathize with this post. But for some reason i'd guess ENxP, probably ENFP but idk why. Intuitive guess lmao
    Likes Sabbathhhank liked this post

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whateverr View Post
    In terms of cognitive function, anything that is physical and concrete (colors, images, objects, numbers, etc) is S. Anything that requires imagination (patterns, concepts, ideas, representations, interpretation, etc) is N. So the way that you mainly perceive the world, most definitely change the way you experience it. Because if you choose to perceive less of the sensory and more of the intuition, you will pay more attention to everything that is "beyond" the sensory. So, it's likely, that if you are, let's say, dominantly a sensor, you will experience the world in a much more grounded manner. If you watched friends, you will get when i say that Phoebe is most definitely an intuitor and that Monica is, without a shadow of a doubt, a sensor. Their world views are very different.

    And about the repressing, i believe that your personality is mostly defined by what you choose to repress or, in some cases, what you refuse to repress, by means of declining it's opposite.

    The basic definition of the inferior function, in my view, is that it behaves like a "demon" to you. Your demons are mostly defined by your inferior functions. The demon of an ENFJ, is having to pay attention to their basic needs (Fe-Ti). Most likely, that is a person that, at an early age, was "taught" that their needs are hurtful and that they aren't as important as what it's valuable to others. So they grow up thinking that, when paying attention to their needs (Ti), they are neglecting the feelings of the external world (Fe), and that's a very difficult thing to process to someone who runs away from paying attention to that side of themselves. So it's common to see that it's developed this "martyr complex" in which they'd live for the well-being of the collective and neglecting themselves. So most of their personality will be defined by that.
    So it's fair to say that your dominant perceiving function has it's dominance due to what you chose to repress. However, you could go through the same process of "being taught that your needs are bad" and rebel to this, which would end up being a Ti dom - Fe inf person. So their personality would be develop according to their rebellion to what was taught to them in the first place.

    But in both ways, the dominant function only exists because you choose to decline it's opposite. So yeah, i think that the divide you experience is probably due to that. You are unwilling to recognize one of your sides unconsciously and that usually happens due to repression. But, in my completely baseless and unscientific opinion, i'd guess you're an Ne dom by the looks of the picture lol. I have the impression that most ExxP's would empathize with this post. But for some reason i'd guess ENxP, probably ENFP but idk why. Intuitive guess lmao
    You’re not as smart as you think you are, ahahahahahhahahaha.

    Nonetheless I value your important and time, good post. Honestly though I just wonder exactly what the difference and how exactly the N/S divide work like they a lot of intuitive’s senses are too strong so they have to repress them to some degree which makes them react and behave in the manner that is termed by the MBTI as being “intuitive” it’s hard to explain exactly but I think about myself like I said I almost was too happy and enjoyed the present too much, that I think I ended up having to repress and ignore a lot of my feelings and sensation to where I felt like I become more withdrawn and detached and then I become what stereotypically represented as an “N” it’s actually hard for me to really say for sure lol what I am.

    Basically I just wonder how the idea of intuition as a facet of personality, how much of it is really real, you know?

  4. #4
    Member whateverr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathhhank View Post
    You’re not as smart as you think you are, ahahahahahhahahaha.
    It's difficult to tell the tone of what people say by written text, but that sounded a little bit disrespectful. What did you mean by this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathhhank View Post
    Nonetheless I value your important and time, good post. Honestly though I just wonder exactly what the difference and how exactly the N/S divide work like they a lot of intuitive’s senses are too strong so they have to repress them to some degree which makes them react and behave in the manner that is termed by the MBTI as being “intuitive” it’s hard to explain exactly but I think about myself like I said I almost was too happy and enjoyed the present too much, that I think I ended up having to repress and ignore a lot of my feelings and sensation to where I felt like I become more withdrawn and detached and then I become what stereotypically represented as an “N” it’s actually hard for me to really say for sure lol what I am.

    Basically I just wonder how the idea of intuition as a facet of personality, how much of it is really real, you know?
    But anyway, using the benefit of the doubt, that last statement sounded very intuition-based to me. And what you wrote is pretty much de definition of the repression of x functions. So it's very likely that you're unconsciously not seeing what you really do, because you, unconsciously, don't want to face it. That's what Jung says about it, at least. And that "withdrawn" aspect isn't associated to N/S as far as i'am concerned. As far as i know, it's usually associated with Fi and Ti. Ni/Si doesn't really make someone withdrawn. It doesn't affect that type of behavior.
    N/S is how you look at things. That's it. If you withdraw to do that, that's a separate issue. The action you take on that is more correlated to judgers then to perceivers, as far as i know. And even then, it still's unclear.
    I.E:
    An INFP Fi-Ne, MIGHT withdraw because he doesn't want to explain to people (Te) the things that they value and why they do the things the do (Fi). And instead of paying attention to the sensory (facts,data) (S) they prefer to focus on the underlying patterns and the concept surrounding it (N), by gathering new concepts and ideas (Ne), rather than organizing and revisiting known facts (Si). Then, you have an Fi-Ne-Si-Te INFP. But even still, an Fi doesn't necessarily withdraw. What i think you should look at is WHY do you withdraw. The next time you're feeling that you're about to detach, think "why am i doing this?". If your most honest answer is, "because i want to take a good look to understand why", it's probably N. If you think "because i want to take a good look at the facts and see what's happening", it's probably S. And, what i actually think it is (but it might not be, it's just more likely), "because i don't want to engage", it's probably due to dom Ti or Fi and inferior Te/Fe.

    And just a clarification, it's better to look at functions/typing like this:

    Fi: Self values
    Fe: Collective values
    Ti: Self reasons
    Te: Collective reasons

    Ni: Organizing ideas/concepts
    Ne: Gathering ideas/concepts
    Si: Organizing data/facts
    Se: Gathering data/facts

    Try not to associate behavior with function. Associate the WHY of the behavior to the functions. It might be easier for you to reach a conclusion.
    And watch this. It might help you to take a better view at yourself. It helped me a lot, at least.
    EDIT:
    This might also help.
    Likes Sabbathhhank liked this post

  5. #5
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whateverr View Post
    It's difficult to tell the tone of what people say by written text, but that sounded a little bit disrespectful. What did you mean by this?



    But anyway, using the benefit of the doubt, that last statement sounded very intuition-based to me. And what you wrote is pretty much de definition of the repression of x functions. So it's very likely that you're unconsciously not seeing what you really do, because you, unconsciously, don't want to face it. That's what Jung says about it, at least. And that "withdrawn" aspect isn't associated to N/S as far as i'am concerned. As far as i know, it's usually associated with Fi and Ti. Ni/Si doesn't really make someone withdrawn. It doesn't affect that type of behavior.
    N/S is how you look at things. That's it. If you withdraw to do that, that's a separate issue. The action you take on that is more correlated to judgers then to perceivers, as far as i know. And even then, it still's unclear.
    I.E:
    An INFP Fi-Ne, MIGHT withdraw because he doesn't want to explain to people (Te) the things that they value and why they do the things the do (Fi). And instead of paying attention to the sensory (facts,data) (S) they prefer to focus on the underlying patterns and the concept surrounding it (N), by gathering new concepts and ideas (Ne), rather than organizing and revisiting known facts (Si). Then, you have an Fi-Ne-Si-Te INFP. But even still, an Fi doesn't necessarily withdraw. What i think you should look at is WHY do you withdraw. The next time you're feeling that you're about to detach, think "why am i doing this?". If your most honest answer is, "because i want to take a good look to understand why", it's probably N. If you think "because i want to take a good look at the facts and see what's happening", it's probably S. And, what i actually think it is (but it might not be, it's just more likely), "because i don't want to engage", it's probably due to dom Ti or Fi and inferior Te/Fe.

    And just a clarification, it's better to look at functions/typing like this:

    Fi: Self values
    Fe: Collective values
    Ti: Self reasons
    Te: Collective reasons

    Ni: Organizing ideas/concepts
    Ne: Gathering ideas/concepts
    Si: Organizing data/facts
    Se: Gathering data/facts

    Try not to associate behavior with function. Associate the WHY of the behavior to the functions. It might be easier for you to reach a conclusion.
    And watch this. It might help you to take a better view at yourself. It helped me a lot, at least.
    EDIT:
    This might also help.
    You don’t get what I’m subtly insinuating and I just think it’s funny, I don’t mean it as an insult I was trying to just have fun with you...

  6. #6
    Member whateverr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathhhank View Post
    You don’t get what I’m subtly insinuating and I just think it’s funny, I don’t mean it as an insult I was trying to just have fun with you...
    I figured it. It's just that it's hard to tell what people mean sometimes by text. I could've sounded way more agressive than i actually am atm for instance. But it's fine, don't worry. But check out the things that i listed below. It might really help you out. They helped me, at least.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whateverr View Post
    It's difficult to tell the tone of what people say by written text, but that sounded a little bit disrespectful. What did you mean by this?



    But anyway, using the benefit of the doubt, that last statement sounded very intuition-based to me. And what you wrote is pretty much de definition of the repression of x functions. So it's very likely that you're unconsciously not seeing what you really do, because you, unconsciously, don't want to face it. That's what Jung says about it, at least. And that "withdrawn" aspect isn't associated to N/S as far as i'am concerned. As far as i know, it's usually associated with Fi and Ti. Ni/Si doesn't really make someone withdrawn. It doesn't affect that type of behavior.
    N/S is how you look at things. That's it. If you withdraw to do that, that's a separate issue. The action you take on that is more correlated to judgers then to perceivers, as far as i know. And even then, it still's unclear.
    I.E:
    An INFP Fi-Ne, MIGHT withdraw because he doesn't want to explain to people (Te) the things that they value and why they do the things the do (Fi). And instead of paying attention to the sensory (facts,data) (S) they prefer to focus on the underlying patterns and the concept surrounding it (N), by gathering new concepts and ideas (Ne), rather than organizing and revisiting known facts (Si). Then, you have an Fi-Ne-Si-Te INFP. But even still, an Fi doesn't necessarily withdraw. What i think you should look at is WHY do you withdraw. The next time you're feeling that you're about to detach, think "why am i doing this?". If your most honest answer is, "because i want to take a good look to understand why", it's probably N. If you think "because i want to take a good look at the facts and see what's happening", it's probably S. And, what i actually think it is (but it might not be, it's just more likely), "because i don't want to engage", it's probably due to dom Ti or Fi and inferior Te/Fe.

    And just a clarification, it's better to look at functions/typing like this:

    Fi: Self values
    Fe: Collective values
    Ti: Self reasons
    Te: Collective reasons

    Ni: Organizing ideas/concepts
    Ne: Gathering ideas/concepts
    Si: Organizing data/facts
    Se: Gathering data/facts

    Try not to associate behavior with function. Associate the WHY of the behavior to the functions. It might be easier for you to reach a conclusion.
    And watch this. It might help you to take a better view at yourself. It helped me a lot, at least.
    EDIT:
    This might also help.
    But how can you see patterns without facts? What’s the difference.

  8. #8
    Kawaii Jazzy Orchid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    172 sx/so
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathhhank View Post
    But how can you see patterns without facts? What’s the difference.
    This is where MBTI gets complicated, sit down for a bumpy ride. :p

    So, technically, you are correct. You aren't going to see a pattern without data. But that is why none of our cognitive functions just function alone. Everything with MBTI works upon an axis. This axis goes either I-E-I-E or E-I-E-I. Introvert - extravert, extravert - introvert. Why?

    When you have inward data, you will need to look outward to gather data or things related. If you gain outward data, you will have to digest it inward to find how you think or feel about it.
    So say me, who normally types as an ENFP actually, I would have this function set:
    Ne
    Fi
    Te
    Si

    So I gather ideas and concepts, then I digest them with Fi to see if they fit within my worldview of ethics and etc. And with my view I will then use Te to collect reasons this is so, and my Si works as a filter organizing this big mess of a brain I have. All the functions work together, that is why if you're merely studying the function alone, you may struggle to figure out which function you are. It is good for understanding the function itself, but they never work alone. Always keep that in mind with cognitive functions.

  9. #9
    Member whateverr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Orchid View Post
    This is where MBTI gets complicated, sit down for a bumpy ride. :p

    So, technically, you are correct. You aren't going to see a pattern without data. But that is why none of our cognitive functions just function alone. Everything with MBTI works upon an axis. This axis goes either I-E-I-E or E-I-E-I. Introvert - extravert, extravert - introvert. Why?

    When you have inward data, you will need to look outward to gather data or things related. If you gain outward data, you will have to digest it inward to find how you think or feel about it.
    So say me, who normally types as an ENFP actually, I would have this function set:
    Ne
    Fi
    Te
    Si

    So I gather ideas and concepts, then I digest them with Fi to see if they fit within my worldview of ethics and etc. And with my view I will then use Te to collect reasons this is so, and my Si works as a filter organizing this big mess of a brain I have. All the functions work together, that is why if you're merely studying the function alone, you may struggle to figure out which function you are. It is good for understanding the function itself, but they never work alone. Always keep that in mind with cognitive functions.
    That's a very good explanation. And, also, bear in mind that everyone uses all the functions. It's just a matter of what you pay attention to the most and what you don't pay attention to a lot. And also, as it was written above, how YOUR cognitive process work. And there are people that refuse to gather data, or are reluctant to, and just "guess" or imagine the way around things. And there are also people that refuse to look past anything that goes beyond the concrete.
    Jordan Peterson once said that a lot of his peers remember the exact quotes and the pages of the specific book that they read to extract their information, but he doesn't. He kinda remember what he read, not necessarily where, but what really mattered to him wasn't the information per se. It was what it meant. It was the concept behind it. So he really remembers the concepts and the ideas and is also able to connect those and elaborate on those with way more ease in contrast to their peers, that do that through facts. That's a good picture of someone who pays more attention to N than to S.
    Likes Jazzy Orchid liked this post

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    476

Similar Threads

  1. Does it or some of it describe you?
    By BrainySchmuck in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM
  2. Extraversion or low levels of Introversion?
    By The_World_As_Will in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  4. Morler's Levels of Emotional Maturity
    By machintruc in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM
  5. Jesus, intuitor or sensor?
    By Valiant in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO