• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intellectual Laziness...

B

beyondaurora

I think you're on to something. My dad is an INTJ(Ni-Te) and due to his primary Introverted Intuition he is obviously more in tune with the theoretical aspects of things, hes an electrical engineer, but he is absolutely efficiency oriented. He only ever expresses his ideas and thoughts on a topic in little bite sized pieces that are just the bare minimum required for the overall whole body of work. Hes rather meticulous too.

It's absolutely maddening to me as a Ti-Ne because he will just express the facts and ideas necessary to complete (I drive him away with theory, convos always end in thats nice but wheres the deliverable) the task at hand and is remarkably good at it. I think with what seems like you're S preference you are even more acutely aware of the details necessary and don't bother focusing to much on the theoretical background of why they may be necessary. I think it's perfectly normal and is just a function of the way you process things, I don't think its up to a lack of intellectual curiosity, its a skill that many wish they could have.

I can't tell you how often, during a conversation with someone, I'm thinking, "For the love of God, get to the $#^%&$* point!". I try to have patience, but even during a conversation I'm constantly sifting out what's relevant (this goes along with this other thread I've got going).

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you're on to something. My dad is an INTJ(Ni-Te) and due to his primary Introverted Intuition he is obviously more in tune with the theoretical aspects of things, hes an electrical engineer, but he is absolutely efficiency oriented. He only ever expresses his ideas and thoughts on a topic in little bite sized pieces that are just the bare minimum required for the overall whole body of work. Hes rather meticulous too.

It's absolutely maddening to me as a Ti-Ne because he will just express the facts and ideas necessary to complete (I drive him away with theory, convos always end in thats nice but wheres the deliverable) the task at hand and is remarkably good at it. I think with what seems like you're S preference you are even more acutely aware of the details necessary and don't bother focusing to much on the theoretical background of why they may be necessary. I think it's perfectly normal and is just a function of the way you process things, I don't think its up to a lack of intellectual curiosity, its a skill that many wish they could have.

My experience with Te-dominants is that they can't abide redundancy and endeavor to avoid it at all costs, even in conversation. Interesting profile of your dad! :yes:

Oh my god. Have you seen the ENTJ videos on YouTube? Shoot me if I'm like that, please. :shock:

haha! Seriously! My ENTJ bff Athena is always calling saying "People are idiots! ARG! I can't stand myself! Gaahhh, put me out of my misery!" She has a very powerful personality, very assertive, with little room for nonsense. She'll talk nonsense with me and my twin sister all day, but we're her "people" and that makes it different. Otherwise, she's a real force of nature, almost masculine in her force because of her Te.

Actually, this is an interesting idea, but I'm very most likely an introvert. How about Te as auxilliary?

Very likely! :yes: That would slot you as perhaps an ISTJ or INTJ? You can possibly consider that you're an E by definition, with very retiring "energy".

I can't tell you how often, during a conversation with someone, I'm thinking, "For the love of God, get to the $#^%&$* point!". I try to have patience, but even during a conversation I'm constantly sifting out what's relevant (this goes along with this other thread I've got going).

Athena again. LOL!

This is getting interesting indeed. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess my services are not required here :D

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I'm like that too, all through Uni getting good grades had more to do with figuring out the formula that the markers wanted and then memorising the core of what was necessary and applying that formula than anything else.

I don't see it as lazy, it's a talent in its own right.

I agree, what you write does not come as some kind of a confession to me. What you call "laziness" might just as well be called efficiency, no?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was mostly kidding earlier. Hey, there's nothing wrong with this so-called "intellectual laziness". So you're a fast learner. So you're efficient. Those trouble-shooting skills are what your job calls for. There's nothing "fraud"-y about it.

I mean, everyone ignores stuff they don't find relevant/useful (and most people ignore parts of speech). What we determine useful is often quite different though.

B

beyondaurora

I agree, what you write does not come as some kind of a confession to me. What you call "laziness" might just as well be called efficiency, no?

I was mostly kidding earlier. Hey, there's nothing wrong with this so-called "intellectual laziness". So you're a fast learner. So you're efficient. Those trouble-shooting skills are what your job calls for. There's nothing "fraud"-y about it.

I mean, everyone ignores stuff they don't find relevant/useful (and most people ignore parts of speech). What we determine useful is often quite different though.

Thanks. I like the idea of re-framing my so-called deficiency as efficiency. :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
In school, I memorized only what I needed to know in order to ace the test. I can honestly say that I've probably only retained 10% or less of what I "learned" in college. That's the problem...I didn't really learn much of anything. I memorized.

It's interesting, because I am exactly the opposite of what is outlined above. I tend to heavily need to understand a system in all its parts to feel like I can apply it to its full power. In this case, I am able to retain everything I learn, however it's something that takes time to develop. A skill I completely lack is the one of doing exclusively what is necessary, without adding anything which is not strictly relevant. In fact, this is the only problem I've had in school: professors telling me that something I was doing/adding to a project/homework was, from their perspective, not relevant.

I can still ace tests by learning only what is required, but I don't find satisfaction in it.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
It's interesting, because I am exactly the opposite of what is outlined above. I tend to heavily need to understand a system in all its parts to feel like I can apply it to its full power. In this case, I am able to retain everything I learn, however it's something that takes time to develop. A skill I completely lack is the one of doing exclusively what is necessary, without adding anything which is not strictly relevant. In fact, this is the only problem I've had in school: professors telling me that something I was doing/adding to a project/homework was, from their perspective, not relevant.

I can still ace tests by learning only what is required, but I don't find satisfaction in it.

This is I think one of the biggest issues with school. The S v N approach to learning if you will. I think you outlined the mentality and approach that many Ns specifically NTs have to learning in school.

STs may have a similar need for more information but they have a greater skill for only applying it to areas that are more directly involved in the task or subject at hand.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

You are really the first one who has got my joke :D

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
beyondaurora said:
In school, I memorized only what I needed to know in order to ace the test. I can honestly say that I've probably only retained 10% or less of what I "learned" in college. That's the problem...I didn't really learn much of anything. I memorized.

I just wanted to commend you for realizing this.
Most people never care about learning and only care about results.
However, you did develop some very useful skills and that's something you can learn from your past experiences.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
To the OP: we are intellectual opposites. i don't really care that much about the test itself, education is a personal pursuit. i am not a memory machine, i am not a robot. my intelligence should be based on insight, creativity, what makes me who i am. it's just how i'm wired i guess.