• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Melacholy is associated with Fi users? How strange that I'm not melacholic?

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are Fi dominant types neccesaringly melacholic? Because I don't relate to being melacholic. Sure I'm depressed at some rate, but It's not the same as melacholiy, I try to stick to optimism with all my will-power.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Probably more of a 4 thing, than Fi. Fi 7s, 2s, 9s are probably more ebullient.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think melancholy is more an unhealthy state rather than something connected to one function in particular.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think melancholy is more an unhealthy state rather than something connected to one function in particular.

Probably. My concern though is that everywhere you move in the typology forums, like most majority of the IxFP's or INFJ's and with Enneagram 4 having the word "Melancholic/Plegmatic" or any form of "I'm so cute" in their signature, which I'm sure they do it because it makes them feel special. it is essentialy what puts me in disbelief about me being a Fi dominant user, I just dont relate to the Fi dom types and their lifestyle and behaviour and I don't know what criteria makes me to be typed as a Fi dominant user.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Without intending to be abrasive, I do not think you know what Fi and ennea-type 4 actually mean. I also think it's important to consider the high frequency of mistypings, particularly INFx and 4.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I dunno, my Enneagram is 4 because I mostly relate to the Enneagram 4 description, but how weird it is that I don't relate to melacholiy.

Uh, what? Expand on it a little?

I think if you don't relate or are not attracted to melancholia you might want to re-evaluate your enneagram.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think if you don't relate or are not attracted to melancholia you might want to re-evaluate your enneagram.

Oh just as I thought, I knew that my speculations are correct. The typology community has indeed ruled out by this toxicity of circlejerk stereotyping, you cant uphold some just personal opinions, arguments or views and get emotionaly triggered from offensive comments without later on get labeled as an IxFP based on the following stereotype criterias, at the end you just completely boxed in, and It's a difficult journey to get of the sticky shit and get yourself typed correctly.

I typed msyelf on one criteria and believed myself as Enneagram 4 was because of identity crisis issues I'm having, but really at the end I think it is rather a mental illness issue (Borderline Personality Disorder). Just how strange it to have an entire Personality type based on having an identity crisis and easily emotionaly triggered, again it downs to really toxic stereotype boxing which again made me in disbelief of being an Fi dominant type.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Oh just as I thought, I knew that my speculations are correct. The typology community has indeed ruled out by this toxicity of circlejerk stereotyping, you cant uphold some just personal opinions, arguments or views and get emotionaly triggered from offensive comments without later on get labeled as an IxFP based on the following stereotype criterias, at the end you just completely boxed in, and It's a difficult journey to get of the sticky shit and get yourself typed correctly.

I typed msyelf on one criteria and believed myself as Enneagram 4 was because of identity crisis issues I'm having, but really at the end I think it is rather a mental illness issue (Borderline Personality Disorder). Just how strange it to have an entire Personality type based on having an identity crisis and easily emotionaly triggered, again it downs to really toxic stereotype boxing which again made me in disbelief of being an Fi dominant type.

wat.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The identity crisis is not strictly related to E4, but can also be related to other types. Even so, I think looking at core fears and desires can help with enneatype. However, I also think that a healthier 4 could step away from the melancholy and find themselves more comfortable in their own skin. But issues with a mental illness would suggest you would not be a healthier type.

Can I ask specifically why you related to E4? What are specific traits? Many of the heart types have a bit of an "identity crisis" because they focus on outward appearance, how people perceive them, trying to come off "selfless", etc. Also be sure you do not equate your mental illness to a type (I.E. I have an anxiety disorder and relate a lot to enneagram 6 but I am not actually an enneagram 6)

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The identity crisis is not strictly related to E4, but can also be related to other types. Even so, I think looking at core fears and desires can help with enneatype. However, I also think that a healthier 4 could step away from the melancholy and find themselves more comfortable in their own skin. But issues with a mental illness would suggest you would not be a healthier type.

Can I ask specifically why you related to E4? What are specific traits? Many of the heart types have a bit of an "identity crisis" because they focus on outward appearance, how people perceive them, trying to come off "selfless", etc. Also be sure you do not equate your mental illness to a type (I.E. I have an anxiety disorder and relate a lot to enneagram 6 but I am not actually an enneagram 6)

Well as you said - Identity crisis. I do actualy count my clothing as my identity. My tastes, my preferences are also my identity obviously, I've choosen E4 for those following reasons, in addition people has been also force typed me as E4 because of my outlandish - emotionaly explosive nature, speaking of mostly PerC.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well as you said - Identity crisis. I do actualy count my clothing as my identity. My tastes, my preferences are also my identity obviously, I've choosen E4 for those following reasons, in addition people has been also force typed me as E4 because of my outlandish - emotionaly explosive nature, speaking of mostly PerC.

So I'd dare ask how you are emotionally explosive. "Emotion" itself is not type related, but the way you react emotionally and what you emotionally react to can say some about your enneagram.
Also, finding identity through "things" comes off a little more E3 to me.

"Threes want to make sure their lives are a success, however that is defined by their family, their culture, and their social sphere. In some families, success means having a lot of money, a grand house, a new, expensive car, and other status symbols. Others value ideas, and success to them means distinguishing oneself in academic or scientific worlds. Success in other circles might mean becoming famous as an actor, or model, or writer, or as a public figure of some kind, perhaps as a politician. A religious family might encourage a child to become a minister, priest, or rabbi since these professions have status in their community and in the eyes of the family. No matter how success is defined, Threes will try to become somebody noteworthy in their family and their community. They will not be a “nobody.”

"In the course of their lives, Fours may try several different identities on for size, basing them on styles, preferences, or qualities they find attractive in others. But underneath the surface, they still feel uncertain about who they really are. The problem is that they base their identity largely on their feelings. When Fours look inward they see a kaleidoscopic, ever-shifting pattern of emotional reactions. Indeed, Fours accurately perceive a truth about human nature—that it is dynamic and ever changing. But because they want to create a stable, reliable identity from their emotions, they attempt to cultivate only certain feelings while rejecting others. Some feelings are seen as “me,” while others are “not me.” By attempting to hold on to specific moods and express others, Fours believe that they are being true to themselves."

The core of 3 is feeling worthless and trying to be something, that fear of actually being some irrelevant nobody that not a single person would concern themselves with if they suddenly died tomorrow. For E4, it is not exactly identity issues, it is about feeling as if there is some inherent missing piece to them. They are constantly seeking something to fill or heal this "missing" piece even though they cannot fully define what that missing piece is. They may fill it with things, people, etc.