• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think there is huge misconception about the understanding of the Fi function.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The misconception seems to come that most people think that having values will automaticaly asses you as an Fi user, which is completely false. To put it, my correct understanding of the Fi function is that it asses moral ethic code, usualy behavour codex or moral beliefs. Usualy how to treat the weak, or defend whatever it values (Closed people to him for example) and do it best to give It's warmth to them, that's Fi.

The Fi function when it goes on lower levels of the cognitive stack will result in more selfishness, and less experience with emotional situations. However that does not mean he is an emotionless robot incapable of having feelings, it that it has focus on another function on It's primary focus so less attention will be given to Fi function, resulting in less warmth expression and probably less care about moral codex beliefs.

Lets put examples.

Here is the guy, who enjoys, and puts values in scientifical research, basicaly random nerdy science guy. He will put emotional importance and value on his science because he preceives as It's truth and enjoys to work with logical patterns and figuring how scientifical formulas and It's mechanics works.

Sure, It is Fi when I mentioned Emotional value (Because Logic is impersonal), but is hes really Fi when he enjoyes working on logical patters and figuring out scientifical forumals and their mechanics and does not put priority to give warmth to others or morals? It's simple, It's a Ti guy user who puts value on logical patterns.

And sure, it does not have to be Science specificaly, but I just used it as an example.

I could give with an sport athlete who enjoys playing football, and he prioritises his emotional value on physical stimulation, which will make him a Se user, not Fi just because "He puts emotional value", which is the huge misconception of Fi I'm talking about.

Point being here, Fi function is not some superflexible superfunction capable of valuing everything to make you an Fi user, thats simply not how it works. Because if it is how it is really described to be, everyone here in the forum would be a Fi dominant user, not just the forum but the entire earth population, it just seems that there is huge bias with the IxFP Fi dominant slapping on the MBTI typology fandom.

I created this thread, because I want to know whether my conception of the Fi function is correct or is it I am the one who seems to have misconception regarding the Fi function?

Jaguar

The Fi function when it goes on lower levels of the cognitive stack will result in more selfishness

And you will go about proving that claim in what manner?

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And you will go about proving that claim in what manner?

It is not my own claim, it is how it is being described by many on the MBTI fandom. Don't ask me about that why they think that, I just simply expanded on that to water it down.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I might understand what you're getting at...

Basically, the other functions can be looked at through the lens of any given function. So Fi might assess personal values, even if the thing valued is as a result of some other function, just as Se may observe the tangible use of a given function etc.

I guess you could say that the 4 or 8 functions are a way of dividing reality into core aspects that comprise it. So they each determine a "layer" of existence, and when viewed together make a cohesive whole. (of course, there are other ways to conceive of reality, and the functions may not qualify everything quite so well)

Regarding Fi, I see the phenomenology of the function as being a kind of energy which is contained in the body, and when something happens that has an effect on the Fi user, Fi registers whether it harmonises with the person's emotional core and so produces an emotional reaction. For example you may see an emotional expression form on the Fi user's face when something happens which elicits an emotional reaction, whether it be a pleasurable or painful emotion. Physical expressions of emotion indicate the person's internal emotional state, as opposed to Fe which uses emotional expression more as a form of communication.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Fi doms focus on the internal world of oneself, but also of others, on an individual basis. There is a constant pinging of "how do I feel about this?" and "how is the internal world of that person similar to or different from my own?" Sometimes they focus on "how is that person feeling?", but generally only if relevant to the Fi dom's concerns/interests, meaning that just because someone is Fi doesn't mean they are automatically warm with everyone.

In fact, since Fi solely references the self's subjective opinion. they can be quite picky about whom and what they like, and therefore whom and what they put effort into. Fi doms can also be quite inflexible, and with a poor attitude toward the opinions and preferences of the greater group. But, if the Fi dominant does feel fondly of you and sees you being treated poorly and unjustly, you better believe that they are going to (if in touch with their assertive energy) defend your Fi rights via projecting through Te.

I'm an INFP, and I'm a fucking selfish asshole. Also, I'm quite in touch with and influenced by my logical and nerdy side. Would you honestly not consider, say, an INFP 4w5 to have the cerebral and analytic elements of type 5? It is just that you are only going to see it in direct relation to the subject's identity (4) and personal interests (Fi).

People are beautifully complex and cannot and should not be pigeonholed based on types. That is a misuse of the systems.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
You can never confirm whether your conception of Fi is correct based on discussion like this. What you can have is probably different views of Fi.

Logic if you refer to thinking can be personal, or subjective,doesn't have to be always objective.