• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Perception Functions Guide to Making Sandwiches

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si: These are the specific sauces needed, but they need to be added in specific amounts proportioned 1:3:2, and just a dash of this spice only two shakes of the bottle - one on each side of the sandwich. It needs to be toasted, but only very lightly or the flavor on the turkey will become too smokey. The cheese needs to melt just enough, but never bubble up. It is also important to keep the bread fluffy at all times.

Se: I may try a couple of sauces this time and double meat and cheese. Which type? Any of them will be fine - maybe all of them? Whatever you need to use up first.

Ne: I'm curious to try this type of sandwich they make in Outer Mongolia where there are spices that cannot be found any place else in the world. Oh, or I can just create my own sandwich unlike any sandwich ever imagined by a human.

Ni: What is a sandwich? How is it that humans the world over have created breads to hold meats and vegetable to eat. Is there something instinctual in the human mind that keeps recreating the same food concepts in a kind of polygenesis. "What?" "Sure, I'll have some mustard sauce" "Oh, am I holding up the line?"

Discuss...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Se sammich is a happy sammich

giphy.gif

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Holt=Se
Boyle=Si

The Cat

Staff member
Wicked vile Si....:dry:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne: I'm curious to try this type of sandwich they make in Outer Mongolia where there are spices that cannot be found any place else in the world. Oh, or I can just create my own sandwich unlike any sandwich ever imagined by a human.

As a young child, when bored and alone, I used to mix a bunch of beverage items together...
I remember taking one of these, warm-not from the fridge,
images
and adding chocolate syrup...
and I think milk and probably orange juice...
And, yes, I drank it.

Also, later making peanut butter, cheddar cheese, and dill pickle sandwiches...

The Cat

Staff member
:shock:

- - - Updated - - -

As a young child, when bored and alone, I used to mix a bunch of beverage items together...
images
And, yes, I drank it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Actually, there are o traditional ‘Mongolian sandwhiches’’ at least, not as how we know them. Since Mongolians were nomadic they cooked everything in their metal sheilds over a campfire. It’s where the idea of Mongolian grill restaurants come from.

Mongolians were awesome . Say what you what want about Ghengis Khan but he really new how to conquer in a way that kept his empire growing and his people loyal and like it or not, he is responsible for spreading everything from cultural traditions, and foods battle tactics and techniques even DNA. Ever heard of the rare and so far unexplained red-headed Chinese people?- probly Mongolians.

I have a black friend who likes to brag about her natural red hair. She’s probly part Mongolian.

...there was this one Mongolian student at my college who was not shy about his crush on me.One year on my birthday I wore a gorgeous silk Chiangsam. He was working the coffee shop. He was looking down counting money when I approached and didn’t notice. When he looked up he nearly fell backward in shock. All he could say was “ Wow” before stammering for a few seconds before he composed himself and took my order.

You know what I always hated about that coffee shop? It wasn’t open at all during the weekend. You know, a lot of us were responsible and would come in to study/tutor or attend a club on the weekend. Hell, I’d come in at quarter to five. Hell, Anthro 255 started at 7am and I went by choice.
My World history professor found out that his 8am class was my second class of the day and thought I was insane. He asked who their right mind would CHOOSE to hold a class that early. I decided to show him and myself and my Anthropology prof stood outside his door with coffee and waited for him to show up, then cheerfully talked his ear off. I’ll never forget her response to him asking “ What the hell is wrong with you people? “ she got right up in his face and asked “ Do you know how many time zones I’ve lived in? “ before he could she said “ All of them!” And then whispered “ Aaaaaall of theeeeem.” She was an odd duck, but show me a humanities teacher who isn’t.
That is why I got into humanities after all, the only teachers who appreciated it understood me were humanities teachers.
I loved Ms. Hodge so much. She always had my back...even though it frustrated her endlessly that I was too stoic to participate in her Hungarian folk dance Fridays. They were exhausting. Good thing it was right because for lunch...that reminds me, I’m hungry. Wasn’t I gonna make sone food? .....uuuh oh yeah! I was gonna make a sammich.

Well shit. Too late. Guess I’ll go out. I do love Mongolian grill. Have I eve4 mentioned how great Mongolian history is?

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Si: [...]

Se: [...]

Ne: [...]

Ni: [...]

Discuss...

Good idea. I'll contribute with a comparison of how N and S work. It's not really about sandwiches, but maybe it will stimulate some thoughts for others.

This is just my own interpretation, of course. I wrote this up on the fly; excuse the typos or poorly worded parts.

First off, a quick comparison of N&S vs F&T:
--N and S are the "irrational," perceptive, creative functions.

--F and T are the "rational," judging, analytical functions. I'll just add: Some people have difficulty thinking of F as an analytical function. But as F-users mature, they can become very good at parsing and analyzing emotions, ethical issues, where and how much empathy to bestow on various people or issues. They are often good at counseling and can help people parse issues like love, emotional bonds, grief, betrayal, etc.

Now I'll talk about N vs S specifically:
--N is associative, in the sense of Freudian "free association." It looks for far-flung connections between disparate things, and it's good at detecting or inventing flows, conspiracies, plots, etc.

--S is causal, in the sense of "cause-and-effect." S looks for immediate connections (X leads to Y), and it creates narratives, rituals, and automated procedures.

--As you can see, both N and S are creative and good at constructing something from nothing. But creative processes are non-analytical, and they can lead you astray...

Now I'll talk about Ni versus Ne specifically:
--Ni is associative, but in an internal sense. It likes seizing upon interesting thoughts and ideas that seem to have some internal similarity and stringing them together. It plays with favorite ideas and associations over time, eventually creating vast spiderwebs of favorite "idea complexes." Hence, you get the Ni stereotype as diabolical masterminds. They massage a favorite "idea complex" and create plans and backup plans. This is a hallmark of "spiderweb thinking": Spiderwebs have lots of entrances and exits. Ni-users are the most likely types to come up with something like universal "forces" or "flows" or "marches of history." Big thinkers by nature, they'll string together vast associative spiderwebs that encompass all of history, trying to find some common thread or theme. But again, being non-analytical, this kind of thinking can go astray. Ni-users can create whole religions out of thin air, simply by "shoehorning" all kinds of crazy associations into a favorite "spiderweb." Hence the need for an extroverted second function to keep them grounded.

--Ne is similarly associative, but in an external sense. It plays with the raw material provided by the world around it, stringing it all together into plots, conspiracies, intimations of love or hate, etc. Ne sees everything in the world around it as connected (in an associative sense), so it's easy for Ne-users to be super-sensitive to small changes in a relationship or social setting; Ne-users are the most likely type to be psychics and readers of other people, and actually be pretty good at it. But like Ni-users, they can overdo it. Ne is non-analytical, and if over-indulged it can create secret societies, conspiracies, plots, etc. out of thin air. Ne-users need to consult their internal judging function to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

Now Si versus Se
--S is causal, but in an internal sense. It's a narrative-creating function: "X caused Y, which in turn created grounds for Z to arise." Spot the narrative, and you own the world. S in general is the most adept function at maneuvering in the world because it's always on the look-out for causal connections and memorizing them as narratives. From this, you get rites and rituals; Si is fertile grounds for the creation of automated routines that serve a predictable function or purpose. Si-users are traditionally good matches for the military, police, the bureaucracy, etc. Their knack for narratives and rituals makes them excellent at spotting the workings of things in the world in front of them and coming up with ways to replicate success. As I said above: Spot the narrative, and you own the world. In a religious sense, there also exists a "warding-off" function to Si: Narratives and rituals ward off chaos. The gods like order, predictability, and precision. Hence the need for rituals to be repetitious and performed exactly the same every time.

--Se is similarly causal, but in an external sense. It plays with the raw material provided by the world around it, creating personal narratives on the fly. "X exists; if I take X and do Y to it, I should get result Z." As actors and initiative-takers, Se-users are constantly "taking it to the next level." Things need to be tested and prodded and poked in order to extract their narrative from them. And once you spot the narrative of a thing, you own that thing. Again, narrative-creating is also about rituals and rites. In a religious sense, there exists a "summoning" function to Se: Spot the narrative of a thing, and you incorporate its spirit and gain its strength. It's a form of totemism: Compete with your enemy, beat him, and then "summon" his spirit to make yourself stronger. Hence, a natural competitive aspect to Se. The gods reward victors and heroes; what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Spot your enemy's narrative, and you own him. And the gods reward you accordingly.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Holt=Se
Boyle=Si
This is a good sammich example. I would add that there is a Te/Fe thing going on as well in this clip.

Holt = Te/Se
Boyle = Fe/Si

The sensory contrast does come through as well. I knew an INTJ who was exactly like Holt about his food and that would be one type of Te/Se

Eastwood

Actually, there are o traditional ‘Mongolian sandwhiches’’ at least, not as how we know them. Since Mongolians were nomadic they cooked everything in their metal sheilds over a campfire. It’s where the idea of Mongolian grill restaurants come from.

Mongolians were awesome . Say what you what want about Ghengis Khan but he really new how to conquer in a way that kept his empire growing and his people loyal and like it or not, he is responsible for spreading everything from cultural traditions, and foods battle tactics and techniques even DNA. Ever heard of the rare and so far unexplained red-headed Chinese people?- probly Mongolians.

I have a black friend who likes to brag about her natural red hair. She’s probly part Mongolian.

...there was this one Mongolian student at my college who was not shy about his crush on me.One year on my birthday I wore a gorgeous silk Chiangsam. He was working the coffee shop. He was looking down counting money when I approached and didn’t notice. When he looked up he nearly fell backward in shock. All he could say was “ Wow” before stammering for a few seconds before he composed himself and took my order.

You know what I always hated about that coffee shop? It wasn’t open at all during the weekend. You know, a lot of us were responsible and would come in to study/tutor or attend a club on the weekend. Hell, I’d come in at quarter to five. Hell, Anthro 255 started at 7am and I went by choice.
My World history professor found out that his 8am class was my second class of the day and thought I was insane. He asked who their right mind would CHOOSE to hold a class that early. I decided to show him and myself and my Anthropology prof stood outside his door with coffee and waited for him to show up, then cheerfully talked his ear off. I’ll never forget her response to him asking “ What the hell is wrong with you people? “ she got right up in his face and asked “ Do you know how many time zones I’ve lived in? “ before he could she said “ All of them!” And then whispered “ Aaaaaall of theeeeem.” She was an odd duck, but show me a humanities teacher who isn’t.
That is why I got into humanities after all, the only teachers who appreciated it understood me were humanities teachers.
I loved Ms. Hodge so much. She always had my back...even though it frustrated her endlessly that I was too stoic to participate in her Hungarian folk dance Fridays. They were exhausting. Good thing it was right because for lunch...that reminds me, I’m hungry. Wasn’t I gonna make sone food? .....uuuh oh yeah! I was gonna make a sammich.

Well shit. Too late. Guess I’ll go out. I do love Mongolian grill. Have I eve4 mentioned how great Mongolian history is?

How in the hell, did this turn into a theoretical and yet historical insight about Genghis Khan? ...... Now I know I'm sensing.... I mean I get the correlation. Mongolian sandwiches and Genghis Khan are both Mongolian, so it makes sense to mention Genghis with anything Mongolian related? The next time I see one of those Mongolian fur pillows, I'm going to think of some correlation with Genghis Khan.

The Cat

Staff member
Mongolians dont like the walls we build in our hearts.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
images
And, yes, I drank it.

I also did my share of experiments back in a day ... for LOLZ.

From melting candies in such drinks to peaches with ketchup or pudding with salami. :D

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
How in the hell, did this turn into a theoretical and yet historical insight about Genghis Khan? ...... Now I know I'm sensing.... I mean I get the correlation. Mongolian sandwiches and Genghis Khan are both Mongolian, so it makes sense to mention Genghis with anything Mongolian related? The next time I see one of those Mongolian fur pillows, I'm going to think of some correlation with Genghis Khan.

Welcome to my Ni-ghtmare! :laugh:

Mongolians dont like the walls we build in our hearts.

One of my top three favorite episodes!

Last time I played Cards Against humanity I played the “ Ghengis Khan” with the black card “ The field trip was forever ruined by-“ because I thought if exactly this. The image in my mind was hilarious.

...no one else understood or appreciated it. Yet another lament of the Ni.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Just a quick addendum to what I said in my earlier post about S vs. N.

When I talked about S, I described an opposition between Si and Se. I said that both points of view result in a fascination with narrative, but that Si narratives put the focus on "warding-off rituals" (with the emphasis on warding off chaos) whereas Se narratives put the emphasis on "summoning rituals" (with the emphasis on summoning and incorporating the narratives of others to gain their strength).

Ni and Ne have a similar opposition. Both points of view result in a fascination with associations and overarching themes and a feeling of the "connectedness" of things. But since Ni is internal, it can result in a bit of a control freak mentality: Ni-users feel like they can hyperfocus on a favorite "idea complex" with the intent of working it and massaging it in a creative sense until it brings forth new associative themes; hence they have a sense that they can create new universes of meaning if they just focus hard enough on their internal world.

By comparison, Ne-users find the *outer* world to be connected and full of hidden meaning, and it can be daunting. It can result in a bit of a victim mentality. Ne-users are surrounded by a universe that's brimming and throbbing and fraught with hidden associations and secret plots and ambiguity. Such a universe can appear full of opportunity and promise when the Ne-user is feeling good, but it can also appear oppressive and malevolent when the Ne-user is stressed and tired. A lot of the authors of the all-time classic horror and slasher and post-apocalyptic stories are Ne-users. To Ne-users, the world is full of mystery and surprise; but not all surprises are good.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni: What is a sandwich? How is it that humans the world over have created breads to hold meats and vegetable to eat. Is there something instinctual in the human mind that keeps recreating the same food concepts in a kind of polygenesis. "What?" "Sure, I'll have some mustard sauce" "Oh, am I holding up the line?"

Discuss...
Wow. I often have thoughts along the lines of this last one. For instance, I have wondered at the fact that many disparate cultures have what is essentially small dough packets filled with meat/vegetables, e.g. ravioli, wontons, pierogi, etc.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In my book this is perhaps the most textbook example of Ne. (unrelated to sandwich part of the topic)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Boys and girls, do I have to use my schoolteacher voice here? This is the only thread that has a conceptual focus on sandwiches as an expression of personality. You are to stay on topic! If you do not, you will become a slice in my sandwich, and you seriously do not want that to happen....

giphy.gif

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow. I often have thoughts along the lines of this last one. For instance, I have wondered at the fact that many disparate cultures have what is essentially small dough packets filled with meat/vegetables, e.g. ravioli, wontons, pierogi, etc.

Maybe the accessibility, the price, but the question is why on earth wrap stuff in it, no?

Good news, this one does have an answer! At least for the Egyptians. Not sure why Italians like ravioli. Maybe the same reason? Anyway. They needed a container to store their preserved food, and their earliest bread was actually something closer to something like hard tack. They process wheat (?) to have them harden into container-like shells, then store them in a dry place. Actual bread began coming out of it because yeast because beer- bread & beer were wide staples. I tried looking for an article but my internet is being a pile of garbage right now. If I were to guess for the rest, it is the ability to keep them preserved and/or it's easier to carry a whole lot of delicious stuff instead a ball of wheat.

[scuttles out because I have nothing else to add except that I think that Si would be the most "BUT THAT'S NOT THE ORIGINAL [cuisinename] WHAT ARE YOU DOING, THIS IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT" at the lunatic Ne and their antics and be the one to like have restaurants with le 'original' traditional stuff]

[and then the Ni (+Fe?) will be standing off to the side tapping into their lower Se but like "I stuffed this caviar into bread because it represents the meaning of life, the elegant simplicity of the meaning of life is contained here within this cuisine here, the caviar represents the souls of humanity, and the bread represents the world, and it all represents my view of that we really all are just like the same caviar in the same bread, with every bite you accept our unity as a group of humanity, and-"]

[Se is that one cook with mad flipping skills or mad bartending skills?]