• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive functions & preference for quiet or not so quiet study environments

When I'm studying (traditional academic method of solitary learning), I am:

• Fe dom and dislike background noise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Te dom and dislike background noise

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Ne dom and dislike background noise

• Se dom and dislike background noise

• Fi dom and dislike background noise

• Ti dom and dislike background noise

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Ni dom and dislike background noise

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Si dom and dislike background noise

• I don't know my type but I dislike background noise

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Fe dom and prefer background noise

• Te dom and prefer background noise

• Ne dom and prefer background noise

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Se dom and prefer background noise

• Fi dom and prefer background noise

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Ti dom and prefer background noise

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Ni dom and prefer background noise

• Si dom and prefer background noise

• I don't know my type but I prefer background noise

• Total voters

Usehername

On a mission
Every ENFJ I know that I have talked to about this (3) is incapable of "studying properly" while there's environmental noise. My (xxFx) aunt and I prefer background noise (never a single conversation, but murmurs of several conversations or background music or general ambient but not obtrusive noise).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I can't study properly unless I'm alone. However, when I'm alone I can study with low background music. I can also study amongst people if I have my iPod on.

In sum: I can't study with other people talking near me, but I can study to music. I think the difference is that I can control the amount and volume of the latter, while I have absolutely no say over how loud or how much people talk when they're around me.

LucrativeSid

Tough question. I don't study, and I haven't in years. I think I prefer silence, but I will use my mind powers to tune out distractions if I need to. It actually surprises me how focused I can be at times.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Okay, this depends:

- If I am studying something I deem as boring, then I need a lot of noise/music in order not to lose concentration
- If I am studying something I enjoy studying, then I tend to zone out and thus don't pay attention to the environment much

Atomic Fiend

No background noise for me, especially if I'm studying something I really don't give a rats ass about.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
People distract me and lyrics too. So if I ever happened to have background music it would be a barely noticeable one, complete silence scares me to death also. It feels wrong, and little annoying noises too, I have to find a middle ground.
I can't not focus on a person being in a room it just breaks my focus so I'm always sending my family out of my room. Even if they're not saying something just them being here completely changes my thought train, my thoughts go to things related to them.
:blink: And if the work is not interesting, oh boy I really have to exclude myself.

S

Sniffles

My idyllic study area is where I'm alone and it's quiet without people talking in the background, while listening to Classical music.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I prefer it to be silent, aside from the usual white noise sounds (wind blowing, computer humming, fish tank burbling). I especially need it quiet if I'm trying to read something that's very heavy conceptually, otherwise I'll find myself getting distracted, frustrated, and/or sleepy.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
When there is background noise (ideally soft music) I unconsciously block it out and as a side effect I block out all the background noise in my head so I can focus and concentrate much better.

Usehername

On a mission
When there is background noise (ideally soft music) I unconsciously block it out and as a side effect I block out all the background noise in my head so I can focus and concentrate much better.

Exactly--me too.

If it's too quiet I daydream way too much. I can't block out a discussion or someone talking, but if it's murmurs or background music my brain works to overcome that and focus, which lets me focus way better on my task.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends entirely on my mood. Usually quietish. Occasionally so loud my ears bleed.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i voted for background noise, but maybe the answer's a bit misleading. i do get sidetracked when i listen to too much music. however, i also hate studying in the abyss of a library. i start thinking about the silence of the atmosphere, the ticking of the clock, the minor rustlings of the other students... etc. ideally i guess i want some background noise, but not something that will sidetrack me. study groups are my friend.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I prefer quiet, but sometimes, if the background sound is steady and calming, versus intermittent and jarring, I can tune it out after a while, and then it may help to mask other noises which are unwanted.

The number of public places where one can go and expect courtesy to allow it to be a "quiet zone" are shrinking today, IMHO. I was in a bookstore, reading, and someone near me kept rattling on, in a loud cell phone conversation. I asked them to be quiet or relocate, and was answered by "What do you think this is ? A library?"

While at a library later, I noticed someone making a racket, and so I shut them up by asking a surreal question "What do you think this is ? A bookstore?"