• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jack Flak's Function System Adventure

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

I've done that. The question is, what makes MBTI function theory, or Socionics function theory, or Jungian type theory superior to this? Nothing.

Have you?
In fact, I have my doubts about what gears you have running here.
Size and such are a concern.

It stresses needless labor on the user.

On the other hand, it distracts attention away from the less prevalent factors.
Hence my general approval.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
What am I saying?

Come on boy. You can piece it together.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why? Afeared of humiliation?

I like your idea, son.
I'm trying to get you to polish the rough edges.

And there's that one nasty spot over to the left, that's been staring me down all day. I just can't stand it!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Why? Afeared of humiliation?
It's not that. I'm rather resilient. It's the treble, I think.
I like your idea, son.
I'm trying to get you to polish the rough edges.
One of the more prominent theories. Thanks.

And there's that one nasty spot over to the left, that's been staring me down all day. I just can't stand it!
This, however, I have no theories on. Perhaps you could enlighten me, or perhaps Orangey could handle it for me.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well this is boring.

The point is, you're doing this, is useless.
In its current form, it has no advantage over the MBTI, but it does stress needless effort on the user. MBTI stores more in the system, which requires less of the calculating propounder.

However, in so doing, you distract attention away from the nasty bugger that is the "X-dom" tag.
This is what I approve of.

What you do appropriately addresses the fact that I and E has very little bearing on whether Thinking and Intuiting are strong or weak, respectively, in the NTPs. Extrapolate that for all the types.
What you do strains the user into memorizing the attitude (I do hope you've not thrown these factors out) of the functions. The extra effort is not without compensation though.

BlueWing will have my head for this*, but Introversion and Extraversion have very little bearing on type itself, but immense impact on the individual functions.

* I don't care. I'm right.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I sense a glimpse of insight on what you are talking about

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well this is boring.
That's your extroversion talking.

The point is, you're doing this, is useless.
In its current form, it has no advantage over the MBTI, but it does stress needless effort on the user. MBTI stores more in the system, which requires less of the calculating propounder.
I understand the viewpoint. The important difference is that this isn't wrong. It's my opinion that it's better to lack information than have the wrong information, and anyone who agrees is welcome to use this system.
I and E has very little bearing on whether Thinking and Intuiting are strong or weak, respectively, in the NTPs. Extrapolate that for all the types.
Agreed. It's something which affected my construction of the theory, if that's not obvious.

However, yours strains the user into memorizing the attitude (I do hope you've not thrown these factors out) of the functions.
It can, yes. Functions can be directed, yes, and I've left that out. My reasoning? Simplicity, and incredible difficulty in defining the difference for anyone but an expert. Even by experts, the descriptions of directed functions are less than completely accurate. To define them is to err.

BlueWing will have my head for this, but Introversion and Extraversion have very little bearing on type itself, but immense impact on the individual functions.
I/E does affect the typical direction, yes. It's why I've featured I/E but left the connection vague. I refer people to descriptions of the individual types for the understanding they seek.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I/E does affect the typical direction, yes. It's why I've featured I/E but left the connection vague. I refer people to descriptions of the individual types for the understanding they seek.

Could you please give us type descriptions, then?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Could you please give us type descriptions, then?
As I've said, I have trouble writing with intent. It doesn't suit me. Others have written acceptable descriptions. Personally, I recommend variety, because none of them are quite perfect.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I understand the viewpoint. The important difference is that this isn't wrong. It's my opinion that it's better to lack information than have the wrong information, and anyone who agrees is welcome to use this system.
Well... that's true.

If you're using typology correctly, then there's nothing wrong. Yours literally employs precisely the same components, but stresses different ones. It's a better proportion of attention.

But you ignore some of the more important things.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I guess you are lacking the thrill in the system @Jack.

If you have something like "your fourth function is Introverted Sensing" it will pick on peoples imagination and I guess especially Feeling types will try to sort their unknown habits into the system and then feel more identified after.

Your system is a short and clean one and I like it, because it leaves room for imagination and solves the conflict between understanding something like Introverted or Extroverted Intuition. But it lacks mystery and mystery sells best.
so why not just type according to the temperaments...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
All we need is choleric, phlegmatic, sanguine, and melancholic.

All you need to know your type is to get your fluids tested. :D

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
well in that case i invented this system subconsciously the day i understood the temperaments. im not saying its wrong (or right for that matter), its just the basics of typing people and doesn't really "simplify" anything. the functions are as simple as they can get and the temperaments are...well...the temperaments.