• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jack Flak's Function System Adventure

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INTJs spend 1/3 or their time gathering data via intuition, and 2/3 making decisions with thinking.
So you think the lead function in INTJs is Te and second is Ni?

(Please humor me with the e and the i thing, I'm still a novice.)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

No. The Prmary function of INTJs is Thinking, and the Support function is Intuition.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No. The Prmary function of INTJs is Thinking, and the Support function is Intuition.
But thinking is only primary because that is what you see first... because it's extraverted.
I don't see how a stander-by would be able to tell which I am doing most of - thinking or intuiting.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
But thinking is only primary because that is what you see first... because it's extraverted.
I don't see how a stander-by would be able to tell which I am doing most of - thinking or intuiting.
You underestimate my intuition.

Think of it this way. Your primary function is your favorite hobby, and your support function is the equipment you need to participate. Skiing and skis. The other two functions, the unlisted reserve functions, are the cash in your pocket, just in case.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A good model of the conscious thinking patterns Jack. I would point out, however, that the current function use model isn't without it's benefits though. The problem is that many who pick it up fail to recognise how it's put together. That whole function order argument needs revising and people need to spot that they're on about dynamic type and not a static thought patterns.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

He's right you know. 1/3 of the time is spent sucking up information and the rest is devoted to taking a long walk around it. Hence why if you challenge an INTJs position you most often get the result of the challenge a couple of days or perhaps a week or so later once they've had chance to walk around it in their head and poke it with sharpened sticks :newwink:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
A good model of the conscious thinking patterns Jack. I would point out, however, that the current function use model isn't without it's benefits though. The problem is that many who pick it up fail to recognise how it's put together. That whole function order argument needs revising and people need to spot that they're on about dynamic type and not a static thought patterns.
Thanks.

I agree. I've said myself that the "eight function" system can describe people in a way, but the problems are

1. Most people apply a rigid order based only on theory,
2. It's not the only way to describe thought processes,
3. Descriptions and interpretations of function use are primarily based on observation of individuals who supposedly possess a certain familiarity with whatever function,
4. People are unaware of the above and more.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Nah.

It's more like getting to the tallest skiing hill having second thoughts, and then intuition is the bastard that pushes you down before you've actually decided whether you'll do it or not.

So yes, thinking, those two weeks in the hospital and six in bed, physically take longer, but that one-and-a-half minutes on the ski slope was still its own eternity.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I agree. I've said myself that the "eight function" system can describe people in a way, but the problems are

1. Most people apply a rigid order based only on theory,
2. It's not the only way to describe thought processes,
3. Descriptions and interpretations of function use are primarily based on observation of individuals who supposedly possess a certain familiarity with whatever function,
4. People are unaware of the above and more.
Well this is the problem with all psychological typing is it not? The only reference we have for certain traits are within ourselves and hence this kinda queers up our normal route of testing via another example. This is then compounded by no two examples being precisely the same.

A couple of thing which finally made the whole function order make sense (including why they only mention four of the eight processes)
J/P only applies to extraversion
Your tertiary and inferior functions apply primarily to your subconscious.

Armed with that I've finally seen the whole pattern.

Note to Wildcat, I still don't see the numbers though :(

redacted

Your system is too different from MBTI -- people's types won't cross over.

Say someone is an NFJ and they're trying to figure out their first letter -- say they look at which one they use more, intuition or feeling, and deduce their introversion/extroversion from there. That doesn't work in your system, so you're really asking a bunch of people to switch types (all the introverts).

(Why don't you just switch your type to ENTP instead of asking us all to switch?)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Your system is too different from MBTI -- people's types won't cross over.

Say someone is an NFJ and they're trying to figure out their first letter -- say they look at which one they use more, intuition or feeling, and deduce their introversion/extroversion from there. That doesn't work in your system, so...
You have to determine I/E independently. And if you're NFJ your Primary function is Feeling, which commonly works in tandem with Intuition.

you're really asking a bunch of people to switch types (all the introverts).
No, I'm not. I'm telling people that their function order isn't what they thought it was.

Typically INTP of me, I've pondered this for years, have come to a conclusion, and I won't be persuaded that it's incorrect. You do have the right to think it's wrong, of course.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
He's right you know. 1/3 of the time is spent sucking up information and the rest is devoted to taking a long walk around it. Hence why if you challenge an INTJs position you most often get the result of the challenge a couple of days or perhaps a week or so later once they've had chance to walk around it in their head and poke it with sharpened sticks :newwink:
I disagree. I think it only looks that way.

I believe the reason it takes so long for an INTJ to explain to you how they came up with a conclusion is because the information the conclusion was based on was collected by Ni in a rather "subconscious" way, and collected over years of time. To bring all that to the conscious arena in an explainable way does take a lot of thinking. It's like trying to make sense of something that was woven together like a spider's web. Can one really tell which strands were laid first? And then second, etc. On top of that, we have the notorious bad memory working against us. If people would stop asking us to explain everything, we'd be a lot happier. :newwink:

I was very close with an ISFJ for two years. We worked shoulder to shoulder several days a week for that time. She would have these "hunches" that she could not explain. They were based on Si. At first, I would question her, "How can you be so sure? How do you know?" After a while, I learned that her Si was always right. (I don't remember a time it was wrong.) She was coming to a conclusion based on information she had gleaned from a photograph or a book years and years before! It was unbelievable! Once I saw the "proof" a few times, I realized that even though she couldn't produce evidence on the spot, it was wise to trust her, and her hunches.

Si and Ni are very similar except in the type of information it collects.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typically INTP of me, I've pondered this for years, have come to a conclusion, and I won't be persuaded that it's incorrect. You do have the right to think it's wrong, of course.

That's not typically INTP. Most of us are open to persuasion. But it is typical to throw your ideas out there and "expect them to thrive by themselves".

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I disagree. I think it only looks that way....
This is the fundamental problem. People define dominant Judging as Ni or Si because someone has misinterpreted the whole situation.

The nature of dominant Judging in an Introvert is such that a relatively large amount of assignment of value is taking place internally, with a relatively small amount of input. The opposite for dominant Perceivers.

That's not typically INTP. Most of us are open to persuasion. But it is typical to throw your ideas out there and "expect them to thrive by themselves".
Allow me to clarify: I've been there, having had hundreds of conversations about this before, and have been persuaded before. Not now, I've finally made up my mind.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This is the fundamental problem. People define dominant Judging as Ni or Si because someone has misinterpreted the whole situation.

The nature of dominant Judging in an Introvert is such that a relatively large amount of assignment of value is taking place internally, with a relatively small amount of input. The opposite for dominant Perceivers.
So why are you saying that INTJs do more Te than they do Ni?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So why are you saying that INTJs do more Te than they do Ni?
You don't need to use those terms any more, because the concepts are silly. There's no such thing as Ni. You can't perceive something without input. This is technically true, there's no way around it. You can Judge based on a very small amount of input. The input is Intuition, and the internal "Where did that come from?" business is Thinking based on low input.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't need to use those terms any more, because the concepts are silly. There's no such thing as Ni. You can't perceive something without input. This is technically true, there's no way around it. You can Judge based on a very small amount of input. The input is Intuition, and the internal "where did that come from?" business is Thinking based on low input.
The input comes from a sensing function.
Intuition can't work in a vacuum.