• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuitives Becoming More Common?

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
[MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]
I skimmed ch 10 but did not find it that jung suggested as you post.

Psychological Types, p 422.
When I found that quotation, I stopped. But I may have missed that anyway. So It'd be better, if all of us double checked the Psychological Types here.

Well, with all due respect, if you "did not find" the passage I quoted, you can't have looked very hard.

The part of Chapter 10 devoted to Ti consists of a grand total of 10 paragraphs, and the stuff I quoted is in the third — which starts with the words (in the Collected Works edition) "This kind of thinking easily gets lost..." (or in the edition you linked to, "This thinking easily loses itself...").

Your reply characterizes type changes as an "abnormal condition," and I didn't suggest that Jung thought otherwise. He didn't say changes of type were an ordinary thing, but he apparently thought they were possible — and again, in Chapter 1 he pointed to two historical figures (Origen and Tertullian) who he said had changed their types in very dramatic ways.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Regarding type change, it is worth noting two Jungian analysts' views:

- Marie-Louise von Franz, Jung's star pupil, viewed it as normal that, in the course of developing their functions besides the dominant, people would live with it in the forefront, so that they actually function as the corresponding type. I think she gave an example of something like a woman who functioned like an intuitive type, while ultimately being a feeling type originally.
i still get the vibe she thought there's a main type but that the way you learn of this is by the inferior function.

- Daryl Sharp, another Jungian analyst, wrote in his book on Jungian typology that many functions besides sensation (which I think he considers his normal dominant function) were dominant at various points in life.

I would guess the common inference is that it's probably reasonable to function with different functions as dominant, even if many Jungian analysts think of there being some 'main type' in the background.