• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] Is this Se, or Si?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lets say you are walking with some friends in the woods, and you need to cross a creek too big to get over by leaping. There is 1 way across. Some dry non-slippery rocks, that you can jump across with, but cannot stop (or you will fall) so it requires continuous motion.

Does Se allow you to continuously move your body in a series of ever changing motions and seeing slightly ahead, and knowing what you need to do? Or is it Si, and recalling similar movements that you did in the past, and remembering how far you can jump, trusting yourself etc?

I think it might be Se, based on the fact it is paired with Ni like linear goals, and knowing exactly what you need to do to get across the bridge.

Thoughts or opinions?

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
As long as you can make it across when you need to it doesnt matter.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand what's known as Se to be less the act of physical movements (which a lot of people associate with Se in error) and more the ability to assess and react instantaneously to the reality at hand. To see what's in front of you and ascertain the best option to take out of perhaps many. Thus, react to the rocks at hand. So sure, there is a linkage to maybe the ability to be better at instantaneously moving your body / using your body, but body motion isn't *cognition* (at least.. not directly).

And Si to me would be the storehouse of knowledge and experiential data that gives you knowledge of what to do in a certain situation; or at least, your own subjective comfort and awareness in it - It has nothing to do with the 'reality' of what's before you and in front of your face; it's the stored data tied to that.

So coming across a creek and knowing to cross on the rocks because you've done it before and know it works -- well that's more Si imo. If you're a wild child who never did it before and had no experience whatsoever and decided to cross the rocks? Well that probably isn't Si then. Now, say you've done it before (Thus it's more Si/ previous experience) and you're in the midst of doing so and suddenly a giant fish leaps up at you -- your reaction to that would be Se/Ne, with maybe more Si or Ni or Ti thrown in --- as it's not prior data that's stored, you're reacting in that moment. Or as you're crossing you slip and begin to fall - it's a new reality that's there - which could pull on Se/Ne. (but sure -- brains are more complex than that and so instantaneously you might also pull up stored 'data' to act on in that moment. Or Ni by projecting something else is likely to happen now that this new thing happened... I mean, functions don't work in an isolated fashion).

My thoughts at least.

/ it needn't be said probably that I don't really use functions anymore and think it's kind of ... fruitless when tied to trying to label one thing or another as a certain function, but this is my understanding of theory / when people talk about it.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Lets say you are walking with some friends in the woods, and you need to cross a creek too big to get over by leaping. There is 1 way across. Some dry non-slippery rocks, that you can jump across with, but cannot stop (or you will fall) so it requires continuous motion.

Does Se allow you to continuously move your body in a series of ever changing motions and seeing slightly ahead, and knowing what you need to do? Or is it Si, and recalling similar movements that you did in the past, and remembering how far you can jump, trusting yourself etc?

I think it might be Se, based on the fact it is paired with Ni like linear goals, and knowing exactly what you need to do to get across the bridge.

Thoughts or opinions?

Well... yes. It probably has both Se and Si aspects. Se for the physical act of doing, Si for co-ordinating movements and being careful.

For Ni... how it would work in me, is that I might be viewing myself as an explorer perhaps in an RPG game, and crossing the river is the next task. Ni is very imaginative. That pairs with the Se of actually being in the moment doing it.

One way the Ne would come into it is like when you said "you can jump across with, but cannot stop (or you will fall) so it requires continuous motion". Ne projects scenarios outwards to see where they will lead, so Ne will be doing the prospecting of what will happen when you try to cross, and that will pair with the Si of knowing what you need to keep in mind while doing it.

Te would be planning and sequencing the steps of what to do, Fe I think would be involved in building the courage to do it, and Ti and Fi would be keeping your mind and emotions in equilibrium so that you are calm before and while doing it.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well... yes. It probably has both Se and Si aspects. Se for the physical act of doing, Si for co-ordinating movements and being careful.

For Ni... how it would work in me, is that I might be viewing myself as an explorer perhaps in an RPG game, and crossing the river is the next task. Ni is very imaginative. That pairs with the Se of actually being in the moment doing it.

One way the Ne would come into it is like when you said "you can jump across with, but cannot stop (or you will fall) so it requires continuous motion". Ne projects scenarios outwards to see where they will lead, so Ne will be doing the prospecting of what will happen when you try to cross, and that will pair with the Si of knowing what you need to keep in mind while doing it.

Te would be planning and sequencing the steps of what to do, Fe I think would be involved in building the courage to do it, and Ti and Fi would be keeping your mind and emotions in equilibrium so that you are calm before and while doing it.

Now you know how I came up with the senario to begin with.;)

I mostly want to know if what I do, was Se or Si. But it seems to fall into both. (As well as other functions involved)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Now you know how I came up with the senario to begin with.;)

I mostly want to know if what I do, was Se or Si. But it seems to fall into both. (As well as other functions involved)

Yeah, the difference is in what is under conscious control, and what is being complemented via the unconscious. Also, there may be a sequencing of the individual components, but functions only follows the standard sequence in certain contexts and not others.

I don't know too well how to differentiate whether a process is conscious or unconscious, though I do tend to see the conscious INFJ functions as "what I do", and the unconscious ones as "what I do occassionally". Even though the unconscious functions are going on quite constantly too, they tend to slip out of my awareness unless they're particularly active.

Permabanned
The matchmaking of the state of the war in neuroscience and machine learning will dispel the pigeonholing pseudo science of typology.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
When it requires some continuous motion, otherwise the person can fall, The combination Seprimary-Tiaux are, in particular, good at reflexes, self confidence, a spontaneous movement, without any plan ahead will be the best at it. Extrovert Feeler/Thinker primary with introvert sensing may want to be helped with a security rope before jumping, for anticipations if they fall, they can still hang with the rope or with some life vest so that even if they fell into the creek, they would be still floating, since they may not have experience before crossing the creek without it.
Introvert sensing-Extrovert feeling, introvert sensing-extrovert thinker may be unwilling to jump at all.