User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default What's your typing method?

I've mentioned my approaches to typing a lot - reading function sequences into multi-sentence posts, and vocal qualities associated with functions + function sequences when doing video reads.

There's also some other stuff like drawing similarities between two people (someone "reminding" me of someone else) which can be abstracted into a "vibe".

Then there's checking to see if social dynamics seem to make sense, but that's more experimental.

So how do you type people? What is your approach?
    the lone star flies alone

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

How do you come up with their identification? is an interesting question.
    My method for typing others in this forum, has a basis on their writing. Their writing may give some clue on their consciousness. But, before typing others you should already familiar with the cognitive functions. It would be hard trying to type other without it. Try checking their judging functions. Try finding sentences that falls into judging function. For example your in your writing, I check that this sentences
    ...that's more experimental
    falls into judging functions. Next ask question further, since judging function in jung typology are only two : thinking and feeling, what judging function is this. When I have find that what is the judging function, try identifying their perceptive functions: sensing or intuition. According to Jung, a judging functions work in conjunction with their opposite perceptive function. So when I found your judging functions falls into extroverted feeling, your perceptive functions has to be only two: introverted sensing, or introverted intuition. When you have learnt that intuition is the function that deals with abstractions, insensatible perception, and i found that the person is rather theoretical than practical, I'll come up with the introverted intuition instead of sensing.
    The more sentence that you analyze, the more accurate is the method.
    But the method may be not really reliable to identify the primary function. For example in you, Once I identify as Fe and Ni, I still uncertain about which function is the primary and the auxiliary. When I mistakenly place the primary and auxiliary function, I could mistype you. Following this method, I could mistype you as an ENFJ if I hadn't able to distinguish between the type. I personally haven't met an INFJ in real life, probably because of their rarity. But I am pretty sure that I have met some ENFJ, so I am pretty sure I can tell that someone is ENFJ. Next I ask some spesific question for you that I know that ENFJ I know do well as a hobby, like sports or they seem to always hold some political standpoint, sentiment, which may distinguish them with an INFJ.
    So when you are not like an ENFJ, because, there is no other type that use combination Fe and Ni, you must be an INFJ.

This typing method may not be reliable also, since the basis is only a writing, without inquiry to other data, only good as self exercising to try typing others. May be only intutive type will be successfully typed following this method. Sensor type may be not successfully typed accurately following the method, since they are more practical action orientated, that may not really be as themselves by writing. To type sensor, we should inquire more about what they are experiencing, what actions do they take, direct observation may be needed.

I expect that some read this thread and are willing to explain their method especially who seems to be motivated to type others. I notice that some type (mostly INTP) rarely mistype themselves in this forum. I have become curious of their method also especially for self identification.
    Whatever the method is, the final identification should be affirmed that they are so and so by the person whose type is being identified, as the typer say, If he/she correctly identify. The person identified should realize that the type identification is for them. If the typers mistype them, it won't be useful for them. Like identifying your type as INFJ, has to have some use for yourself. It should add more self knowledge for the person typed previously that he himself did not know before typing. For example, you may want to know what are your unconscious aptitude that only accessible, executable, for INFJ.
    Likes Legion liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I get caught up in feel first based on "strategies" I'm not entirely sure of, but likely revolving around identifying traits I somehow recognize from other people, whether they be people I've personally known, celebrities, or just general archetypes my brain has constructed. After that, I can observe the individual further, focusing more on a checklist of sorts to run through the information I have stored in mah brain. Then, it's really just toggling between these two processes.

I do this a lot. More than I care to admit.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

I look for types of feeling/thinking and intuition/sensation people seem to be using most prominently, rather than trying to determine if they are T or F and S or N, since most people aren't exclusively using one type of judging or one type of perception. In cases where someone uses T/F or N/S in the 2nd and 3rd slots, the distinction can become particularly blurred, as they're likely using both quite a bit, so I find trying to type by 4 letter dichotomies to be very limiting and futile in most cases.

I also look for certain red flags, for example, if someone had typed themselves as an ENTJ yet their language were filled with indications of strong Fe, then that would be an obvious red flag.

And of course there is the "vibe" I might get about an individual's type, which typically comes from experience in dealing with others of the same type. Those collections of impressions gathered from dealing and interacting with other people of a given type help inform the 'vibes'. It's not a perfect method, and vibes can be wrong, but they often point in the right direction, at least.

I use something like Legion, not necessarily as structured as his method, but where I look at someone's speech or writings for strong indications of certain functions. What someone speaks about or is interested in isn't important so much as how they talk about those subjects and interests, how they wax about them, whether they're describing surface impressions, hidden connections, etc.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is...

I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

Who knows what goes on in the mind of a cat?

Patterns of focus and methodology.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

i observe, ask (overly) personal questions, prod for responses in an indirect manner, and facillitate reflection on past events and hypothetical scenarios... generally this takes anything from three months to years... by the time i am prepared to begin considering type, i have been interacting with and observing a person long prior... typology is sort of an afterthought... i sometimes make guesses that i am much less certain of...
    A man said to the universe:
    “Sir, I exist!”
    “However,” replied the universe,
    “The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Understanding their motivations behind actions. Consistency in approach. Noticing patterns of function pairs. I also kinda reduced the functions into an essence form like a perspective, but I can't explain how that works.

Simple but effective.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by typologyenthusiast View Post
    How do you come up with their identification? is an interesting question.
    My method for typing others in this forum, has a basis on their writing. Their writing may give some clue on their consciousness. But, before typing others you should already familiar with the cognitive functions. It would be hard trying to type other without it. Try checking their judging functions. Try finding sentences that falls into judging function. For example your in your writing, I check that this sentences falls into judging functions. Next ask question further, since judging function in jung typology are only two : thinking and feeling, what judging function is this. When I have find that what is the judging function, try identifying their perceptive functions: sensing or intuition. According to Jung, a judging functions work in conjunction with their opposite perceptive function. So when I found your judging functions falls into extroverted feeling, your perceptive functions has to be only two: introverted sensing, or introverted intuition. When you have learnt that intuition is the function that deals with abstractions, insensatible perception, and i found that the person is rather theoretical than practical, I'll come up with the introverted intuition instead of sensing.
    The more sentence that you analyze, the more accurate is the method.
    But the method may be not really reliable to identify the primary function. For example in you, Once I identify as Fe and Ni, I still uncertain about which function is the primary and the auxiliary. When I mistakenly place the primary and auxiliary function, I could mistype you. Following this method, I could mistype you as an ENFJ if I hadn't able to distinguish between the type. I personally haven't met an INFJ in real life, probably because of their rarity. But I am pretty sure that I have met some ENFJ, so I am pretty sure I can tell that someone is ENFJ. Next I ask some spesific question for you that I know that ENFJ I know do well as a hobby, like sports or they seem to always hold some political standpoint, sentiment, which may distinguish them with an INFJ.
    So when you are not like an ENFJ, because, there is no other type that use combination Fe and Ni, you must be an INFJ.

This typing method may not be reliable also, since the basis is only a writing, without inquiry to other data, only good as self exercising to try typing others. May be only intutive type will be successfully typed following this method. Sensor type may be not successfully typed accurately following the method, since they are more practical action orientated, that may not really be as themselves by writing. To type sensor, we should inquire more about what they are experiencing, what actions do they take, direct observation may be needed.

I expect that some read this thread and are willing to explain their method especially who seems to be motivated to type others. I notice that some type (mostly INTP) rarely mistype themselves in this forum. I have become curious of their method also especially for self identification.
    Whatever the method is, the final identification should be affirmed that they are so and so by the person whose type is being identified, as the typer say, If he/she correctly identify. The person identified should realize that the type identification is for them. If the typers mistype them, it won't be useful for them. Like identifying your type as INFJ, has to have some use for yourself. It should add more self knowledge for the person typed previously that he himself did not know before typing. For example, you may want to know what are your unconscious aptitude that only accessible, executable, for INFJ.
    Could you give some detail please as to how you distinguish whether something is Feeling or Thinking once it has been determined that it is a judgement? And how to tell Ti from Te, Fi from Fe? (and likewise for perception)

I think I do something similar*, but I would have categorised "that's more experimental" as Ti, whereas the sentence "I've mentioned my approaches to typing a lot" and question "how do you type people?" would be more Fe oriented.

"reading function sequences into multi-sentence posts, and vocal qualities associated with functions + function sequences when doing video reads." sounds like more of a perception-based description, and perhaps since it is describing a process, it would be intuition/Ni. "There's also some other stuff" is a judgement, I don't know what kind though. "drawing similarities between two people (someone "reminding" me of someone else) which can be abstracted into a "vibe"" - again, similar to before about being a perception-based description, though I don't know if saying "can be..." indicates judgement or intuition.

Looking at your post now:

"Try checking their judging functions. Try finding sentences that falls into judging function." - I don't know if it's judgement per se, but this sounds like instruction, which I guess would be Te?
    "The more sentence that you analyze, the more accurate is the method." - a judgement which sounds logical (Thinking)
    "So when I found your judging functions falls into extroverted feeling, your perceptive functions has to be only two" - this starts out as perception, and ends in a judgement. Which sorts though, I don't know.
    "It should add more self knowledge for the person typed previously that he himself did not know before typing." - The word "should" indicates Feeling, and "that he himself did not know before typing" might indicate Sensing (specific information).

Is that sort of what you do? It seems to show all functions of F/N/S/T not just two, so even with Ni and Fe identified, STP is still possible, but I think generally the person will show a predominance of one over the other, but this could be complicated by imbalances in the personality.

* I don't usually do it in this way; the function sequence approach I talk about works differently; but I have tried it before. It's tricky.
    the lone star flies alone

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Could you give some detail please as to how you distinguish whether something is Feeling or Thinking once it has been determined that it is a judgement? And how to tell Ti from Te, Fi from Fe? (and likewise for perception)
    Some of the cognitive functions are discussed in separate thread.
    I have already written my understanding of Fe-Si. Fe vs. Fi discussion

The Essence Of Jungian Functions

The Essence Of Jungian Functions
    Extroverted Intuition 2
    Ne vs. Ni discusson
    introverted sensing
    On the Nature of Jungian Functions

Si vs Se
    I am still studying The introvert functions: Ni, Si, Fi, Ti. But I think that have some clue : Their way of expressions are only trough their extroverted functions. I forgot who say this, could be Jung or Myers. Jung has his theory on each functions written in Psychological Types : Chapter 10, but to some extent some his conception rather unacceptable for me, like the extroverted intuition. I must say that I a little bit disagree with it. Jung explanation of extroverted intuition, is already departed from the intuition definition. Some has fallen under the thinking definition. The method accuracy depends on the typer understanding on the cognitive functions. I am inclined to say that Jung theory of psychological function is not free from Jung Type as an INFJ also. To explain the cognitive functions as exactly as Jung, is to mean explaining from the "eye" of an INFJ. So when we type differently with Jung, to understand the cognitive function, we should try to explain the cognitive functions in a language that we understand for the sake of developing our own understanding in our own language.
    Btw,
    The method may only be used somewhat accurately to type the extrovert judger dominant and auxiliary, the introvert judger may be mistyped following the method. The method may be useful to identify their MBTI type, that might go wrong because of questionnaire filling problem that I guess may be problematic, since the questionnaire may not be able to completely tapped all of the nature of the cognitive functions. But until, I identify their type, I usually ask them to read the MBTI descriptions and check whether it suits them or not.
    Last edited by typologyenthusiast; 09-08-2019 at 02:25 AM.