• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Room decorating ....type related?

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Okay, at the risk of having this thread be not type related, I wanted to put it out there: honestly, decorating rooms in a house or at work, to me, is like the most boring thing I can ever think of. Apparently my in-laws as well as my closest co worker truly enjoy this kind of thing and I feel like it makes for very boring and long dragged conversations. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the colors and the arrangements of a room and all that but I absolutely despise talking about it. Or being part in the color coordination thereof. I am, however,an artist... I can go to the museum and analyze a painting ad nauseum. I am really considering this kind of thing an s vs n thing... Am I correct?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think some people feel more at home, if home is stimulating. I for one could live in a moldy shack, or an empty mansion and still be fine. I know some people can't sit still enough to care about how clean their home is. I know some people that think a clean home is a clean mind. etc.

Last edited:

rav3n

It's doubtful that enjoying talking about it or not, can be ascribed to the S/N dichotomy. There are plenty of INFJs who enjoy talking about home decorating.

But I do think that style of decor might be impacted by types. Eg. I've noticed that INTPs prefer decor with a lot of detail where I prefer minimalism.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Being able to design and decorate my own space is vital to my mental well- being.

Could just be because I was never able to growing up. As a teenager-very important formative years- I lived in my grandparents office. Just a bed, and a desk with a printer and old computer-HtED it.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
It's quite literally one of the few things in life that truly fill me with inspiration and a sense of creative existence. Since recently purchasing a home, I spend several hours a day brainstorming color schemes and looking for pieces to potentially add to my vision. I will likely be entertained with the process for years to come (I've been like this forever and never really stop collecting things and tweaking my style).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm affected by how my environment looks and I tend to have a more inspired looking environment than average. When I have a teaching studio I'll put up Georgia O'Keeffe posters in frames on the walls and coordinate various things to make it beautiful. My own apartment has a cute, whimsical look. I don't think like an interior decorator or have snobbish tendencies about it, but I need my environment to feel like me if it feels like home. I get really depressed if my environment is looks like hell.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm affected by how my environment looks and I tend to have a more inspired looking environment than average. When I have a teaching studio I'll put up Georgia O'Keeffe posters in frames on the walls and coordinate various things to make it beautiful. My own apartment has a cute, whimsical look. I don't think like an interior decorator or have snobbish tendencies about it, but I need my environment to feel like me if it feels like home. I get really depressed if my environment is looks like hell.
I can definitely relate to that. I choose colored walls for my home, and I think I arrange things tastefully ( to me, at least), but the last thing I would do if someone came over was talk about the curtains and where I bought them, or the couch and how it goes Soo well with this or that....I usually have people over and we talk about philosophy, ideas, history, and to hell with the curtains and where they come from.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's quite literally one of the few things in life that truly fill me with inspiration and a sense of creative existence. Since recently purchasing a home, I spend several hours a day brainstorming color schemes and looking for pieces to potentially add to my vision. I will likely be entertained with the process for years to come (I've been like this forever and never really stop collecting things and tweaking my style).
Ugh. No offense, but that sounds like what he'll would be like. Mykind of decorating has to have symbolism imbedded in it...I don't know, I am just trying to figure out functions and those of the people near me....

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Ugh. No offense, but that sounds like what he'll would be like. Mykind of decorating has to have symbolism imbedded in it...I don't know, I am just trying to figure out functions and those of the people near me....

What would possess you to assume that I lack the depth required to have interest in symbolism? My environment is an expression of myself on levels that I don't feel a need to brag about.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What would possess you to assume that I lack the depth required to have interest in symbolism? My environment is an expression of myself on levels that I don't feel a need to brag about.
No, I never meant to say you lack depth...in fact you do something I could only dream of being able to do... Which is actually think on a rational level about your surroundings. My colleague does that to our classroom and it looks gorgeous. I cannot think too much on the design process of things...I go straight for the symbolism...which may or may not make sense to other people. So my designer colleague is actually my translator to our surroundings, I guess.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No, I never meant to say you lack depth...in fact you do something I could only dream of being able to do... Which is actually think on a rational level about your surroundings. My colleague does that to our classroom and it looks gorgeous. I cannot think too much on the design process of things...I go straight for the symbolism...which may or may not make sense to other people. So my designer colleague is actually my translator to our surroundings, I guess.

Rationality comes much after vision for me, but I'm often slow moving enough with execution that it's not irrational enough to financially destroy me. I guess we'll find out over the next year or so as I remodel.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can definitely relate to that. I choose colored walls for my home, and I think I arrange things tastefully ( to me, at least), but the last thing I would do if someone came over was talk about the curtains and where I bought them, or the couch and how it goes Soo well with this or that....I usually have people over and we talk about philosophy, ideas, history, and to hell with the curtains and where they come from.
What you describe in other people is actually not experiencing the reality or moment of the environment, but an abstraction of it. When people are proud of where they bought stuff or name drop important people involved with their furniture, etc., then it becomes about social positions, identity, or something outside the actuality of it.

There is a way that people are fussy about anything really that puts me on pins and needles. That dainty, rigid, fussy way of being about furniture, food, or anything is rather alien to me.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
In the book the Hobbit; Beorn's lands and house are pretty much my ideal:

The Hall lay near the Carrock (a great stone hill with steps carved into it) east of the Great River of Wilderland, just west of Mirkwood.[1] Beorn's home was surrounded by oak trees and an inner thorny hedge with a high, broad wooden gate in the northern side. Within the hedge on the southern side were rows of straw bell-shaped bee-hives. A large garden covered much of the interior, along with several buildings (barns, stables, and sheds) and a path that led to Beorn's long low wooden house.

The house had a courtyard between two long wings. Facing the courtyard was a dark door that opened into a wide hall with a fireplace in the middle with an opening in the roof for the smoke to escape. There were many pillars on either side of the hall, and there was a long table close to the front door, in the middle with benches on either side. Along both sides of the walls were raised platforms where the tables and extra beds were stored. At the south end of the room there was a door that opened upon the veranda with wooden benches that overlooked the flowers of the garden.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I've never used it as a convo piece or waxed poetical on describing my decor. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (However I'm happy and pleased when people actually DO notice things because I am very pleased with my own sense of style and put a lot of thought into it- so if someone asks or comments, I might mention where I got it, or give a detail about it, and so on.)

I love, love, love creating my space though. I wouldn't say I spend tons of active time thinking about it, but for example it's one of my favorite things to do when I move to a new place - I love doing what I view it as 'maximizing' the aesthetics -- it's very intuitive for me, what 'feels' right and what I think goes where. And, as another example, I recently had to move a bunch of stuff and 'downgrade'/simplify my preferred look, when I got two new cats, and the act of needing to do that forced me to try to be creative in new placements, putting things higher, and so on --- and that in effect was 'maximizing' what I could do with my new parameters - if that makes sense. Sometimes I end up liking it better, sometimes it just is what it is. But yeah- it's an important extension of myself, in a way, 'creating' my space - and I like very personalized and more unique things.

(Edit: fwiw I have one INFJ friend who loves doing this as well, but I have another INFJ friend who feels she has no sense at all for these things, so always wants help with regards to it / goes super minimalist just because she feels she lacks that ability -- it seems to me this indicates it's a personality aspect or possibly just value/talent that falls outside of mbti)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Well, I've never used it as a convo piece or waxed poetical on describing my decor. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (However I'm happy and pleased when people actually DO notice things because I am very pleased with my own sense of style and put a lot of thought into it- so if someone asks or comments, I might mention where I got it, or give a detail about it, and so on.)

I love, love, love creating my space though. I wouldn't say I spend tons of active time thinking about it, but for example it's one of my favorite things to do when I move to a new place - I love doing what I view it as 'maximizing' the aesthetics -- it's very intuitive for me, what 'feels' right and what I think goes where. And, as another example, I recently had to move a bunch of stuff and 'downgrade'/simplify my preferred look, when I got two new cats, and the act of needing to do that forced me to try to be creative in new placements, putting things higher, and so on --- and that in effect was 'maximizing' what I could do with my new parameters - if that makes sense. Sometimes I end up liking it better, sometimes it just is what it is. But yeah- it's an important extension of myself, in a way, 'creating' my space - and I like very personalized and more unique things.

(Edit: fwiw I have one INFJ friend who loves doing this as well, but I have another INFJ friend who feels she has no sense at all for these things, so always wants help with regards to it / goes super minimalist just because she feels she lacks that ability -- it seems to me this indicates it's a personality aspect or possibly just value/talent that falls outside of mbti)

This. I was reading about enneagram and decor and I use both 8 and 9 specifics, which explains a lot. I love creating my spaces too but I never talk to anyone about it, unless they ask - I had a neighbor ask about my coffee table books, which I love to collect. I have a book on Tom Ford fashions next to a book on the tiny little shoes for bound feet (horrible but mesmerizing). Sable Island horses and the Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows. Same general area but varied topics.

My spaces have to feel right, even if they don't conform to a specific style. I like texture over color in common spaces but bedrooms and personal spaces - I let it rip. Boho, Mediterranean, Moroccan, Indian, Scandinavian, whatever feels right and is pleasing to me. I also have a friend like yours that does the very minimalist thing because she thinks anything else is cluttered. So I bought her a coffee table book called The Scandinavian Home. Then I noticed she got a blue, green and gold throw for her very white couch so hopefully something is rubbing off.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

Well this post hasn't aged well...

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never bothered decorating anything when I was living by myself. My house resembled a prison cell. Mainly, it just didn't seem worth spending the money on prettying things up. Since then, I've been taking art classes, and I do like to hang my stuff on the walls, but that's the extent of the growth in my decorating tendencies. I do really appreciate beauty, but somehow, working it into my living quarters has never been a priority of mine. I suppose it's partly because what's nearest at hand has tended to be least prominent thing in my awareness, which means I can tolerate a certain amount of plainness in that area.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doesn't seem type related. However, I don't give a fuck about interior design. My rooms always look bland, or full of mess. Decorating would just be a boring waste of time to me so I never bother.