First 12

MBTI
    NF
    Enneagram
    954 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    What would possess you to assume that I lack the depth required to have interest in symbolism? My environment is an expression of myself on levels that I don't feel a need to brag about.
    No, I never meant to say you lack depth...in fact you do something I could only dream of being able to do... Which is actually think on a rational level about your surroundings. My colleague does that to our classroom and it looks gorgeous. I cannot think too much on the design process of things...I go straight for the symbolism...which may or may not make sense to other people. So my designer colleague is actually my translator to our surroundings, I guess.

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cacaia View Post
    No, I never meant to say you lack depth...in fact you do something I could only dream of being able to do... Which is actually think on a rational level about your surroundings. My colleague does that to our classroom and it looks gorgeous. I cannot think too much on the design process of things...I go straight for the symbolism...which may or may not make sense to other people. So my designer colleague is actually my translator to our surroundings, I guess.
    Rationality comes much after vision for me, but I'm often slow moving enough with execution that it's not irrational enough to financially destroy me. I guess we'll find out over the next year or so as I remodel.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes cacaia liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cacaia View Post
    I can definitely relate to that. I choose colored walls for my home, and I think I arrange things tastefully ( to me, at least), but the last thing I would do if someone came over was talk about the curtains and where I bought them, or the couch and how it goes Soo well with this or that....I usually have people over and we talk about philosophy, ideas, history, and to hell with the curtains and where they come from.
    What you describe in other people is actually not experiencing the reality or moment of the environment, but an abstraction of it. When people are proud of where they bought stuff or name drop important people involved with their furniture, etc., then it becomes about social positions, identity, or something outside the actuality of it.

There is a way that people are fussy about anything really that puts me on pins and needles. That dainty, rigid, fussy way of being about furniture, food, or anything is rather alien to me.
    bunny omi

Likes cacaia liked this post

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

In the book the Hobbit; Beorn's lands and house are pretty much my ideal:

The Hall lay near the Carrock (a great stone hill with steps carved into it) east of the Great River of Wilderland, just west of Mirkwood.[1] Beorn's home was surrounded by oak trees and an inner thorny hedge with a high, broad wooden gate in the northern side. Within the hedge on the southern side were rows of straw bell-shaped bee-hives. A large garden covered much of the interior, along with several buildings (barns, stables, and sheds) and a path that led to Beorn's long low wooden house.

The house had a courtyard between two long wings. Facing the courtyard was a dark door that opened into a wide hall with a fireplace in the middle with an opening in the roof for the smoke to escape. There were many pillars on either side of the hall, and there was a long table close to the front door, in the middle with benches on either side. Along both sides of the walls were raised platforms where the tables and extra beds were stored. At the south end of the room there was a door that opened upon the veranda with wooden benches that overlooked the flowers of the garden.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...
    Likes cacaia, Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Well, I've never used it as a convo piece or waxed poetical on describing my decor. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (However I'm happy and pleased when people actually DO notice things because I am very pleased with my own sense of style and put a lot of thought into it- so if someone asks or comments, I might mention where I got it, or give a detail about it, and so on.)

I love, love, love creating my space though. I wouldn't say I spend tons of active time thinking about it, but for example it's one of my favorite things to do when I move to a new place - I love doing what I view it as 'maximizing' the aesthetics -- it's very intuitive for me, what 'feels' right and what I think goes where. And, as another example, I recently had to move a bunch of stuff and 'downgrade'/simplify my preferred look, when I got two new cats, and the act of needing to do that forced me to try to be creative in new placements, putting things higher, and so on --- and that in effect was 'maximizing' what I could do with my new parameters - if that makes sense. Sometimes I end up liking it better, sometimes it just is what it is. But yeah- it's an important extension of myself, in a way, 'creating' my space - and I like very personalized and more unique things.

(Edit: fwiw I have one INFJ friend who loves doing this as well, but I have another INFJ friend who feels she has no sense at all for these things, so always wants help with regards to it / goes super minimalist just because she feels she lacks that ability -- it seems to me this indicates it's a personality aspect or possibly just value/talent that falls outside of mbti)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Well, I've never used it as a convo piece or waxed poetical on describing my decor. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. (However I'm happy and pleased when people actually DO notice things because I am very pleased with my own sense of style and put a lot of thought into it- so if someone asks or comments, I might mention where I got it, or give a detail about it, and so on.)

I love, love, love creating my space though. I wouldn't say I spend tons of active time thinking about it, but for example it's one of my favorite things to do when I move to a new place - I love doing what I view it as 'maximizing' the aesthetics -- it's very intuitive for me, what 'feels' right and what I think goes where. And, as another example, I recently had to move a bunch of stuff and 'downgrade'/simplify my preferred look, when I got two new cats, and the act of needing to do that forced me to try to be creative in new placements, putting things higher, and so on --- and that in effect was 'maximizing' what I could do with my new parameters - if that makes sense. Sometimes I end up liking it better, sometimes it just is what it is. But yeah- it's an important extension of myself, in a way, 'creating' my space - and I like very personalized and more unique things.

(Edit: fwiw I have one INFJ friend who loves doing this as well, but I have another INFJ friend who feels she has no sense at all for these things, so always wants help with regards to it / goes super minimalist just because she feels she lacks that ability -- it seems to me this indicates it's a personality aspect or possibly just value/talent that falls outside of mbti)
    This. I was reading about enneagram and decor and I use both 8 and 9 specifics, which explains a lot. I love creating my spaces too but I never talk to anyone about it, unless they ask - I had a neighbor ask about my coffee table books, which I love to collect. I have a book on Tom Ford fashions next to a book on the tiny little shoes for bound feet (horrible but mesmerizing). Sable Island horses and the Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows. Same general area but varied topics.

My spaces have to feel right, even if they don't conform to a specific style. I like texture over color in common spaces but bedrooms and personal spaces - I let it rip. Boho, Mediterranean, Moroccan, Indian, Scandinavian, whatever feels right and is pleasing to me. I also have a friend like yours that does the very minimalist thing because she thinks anything else is cluttered. So I bought her a coffee table book called The Scandinavian Home. Then I noticed she got a blue, green and gold throw for her very white couch so hopefully something is rubbing off.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post