• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to overcome typology?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
As explanatory as typology is, there is much more to life.

How do we move beyond type's models? How else to conceptualise the mind?

What are the limitations, pitfalls, downfalls of typology?

Where do we go once we're through?

One answer is nearby: the hierarchy of the unconscious. This is universal, and provides a platform that is partly uncharted and extends far beyond the bounds of the 8 functions.

Yet there is much else, too. What?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
You... started with typology? Then the answer is going to be very different than others who started elsewhere.

Cognitive neuroscience > Psychoanalysis > Philosophy.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You simply accept it's just a fun thing

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
How did we miss it!

Or, will we miss it?

Typology is taking over the globe, spreading across the nations. It is everywhere you look. Suddenly our type code is printed on our birth certificate.

Swing back.

Is typology real? The evidence is in. It real tho.

So what do? What do now we do? Is what?

The answer is as follows:

Typology is explanatory in what it explains. But it's cognitive. The hierarchy of the unconscious reaches high. Not high enough. Yet. Start from the opposite side.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
How did we miss it!

Or, will we miss it?

Typology is taking over the globe, spreading across the nations. It is everywhere you look. Suddenly our type code is printed on our birth certificate.

I also second having our horoscope and Hogwarts house on our birth certificate. I'm starting to think you're not as dumb as you seem.

Shadow Play

General psychology, neurosciences, accepting typology for what it is: a pseudoscience, and not absolute truth.

I'd hesitate to call the letters model a pseudoscience; they're arguably more of a soft science. Otherwise, I agree with this post. Typology is very limited in the psychological insight it provides.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I have no idea what you are talking about.
So I guess the universe is in order after all.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Here's my real answer, which I feel applies to the majority of the population:

1. Learn a little about all types.
2. Cling to one, mistaking it as your identity.
3. Feel foolish or stressed or just bored and take a break.
4. Rinse and repeat, possibly several times.
5. Choose one:
  • Get stuck here, indefinitely
  • Walk away forever or become completely indifferent/uninterested
  • Strip back everything and start over, this time with more intellectual focus, and less obsession over identity

After that, you can either use what you've learned for spiritual growth, academia, helping others, manipulating others, or most realistically; a mix of some or all.

For those of you who started with the last option: I hate you.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How did we miss it!

Or, will we miss it?

Swing back.

Is typology real? The evidence is in. It real tho.

So what do? What do now we do? Is what?

The answer is as follows:

Typology is explanatory in what it explains. But it's cognitive. The hierarchy of the unconscious reaches high. Not high enough. Yet. Start from the opposite side.

People are prone to making bandwagon fallacies, an unfortunate side effect of being a social species

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I can’t stand are people who dismiss one system as pseudoscience i.e. “enneagram is just glorified astrology but MBTI is at least based in science somewhat” as it is evidence of selective scrutiny rather than real critical thinking.

*nervously looks from side to side*

Not that I would ever do that.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Quit navel gazing beyond identifying personal weaknesses and strengthening them.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Start from the opposite side.

I'm not sure if that which is implied by this post is quite an accurate portrayal of events, I shall reflect more fully on the matter (and if a conclusion is reached, explain what this cryptic statement means).