• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to overcome typology?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Start from the opposite side.

I'm not sure if that which is implied by this post is quite an accurate portrayal of events, I shall reflect more fully on the matter (and if a conclusion is reached, explain what this cryptic statement means).

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Is it necessary at all to overcome typology? Surely there are better things in life, but is it not appropriate to use its principles to guide certain aspects of one's life?

It can inform us of the energetic implications of the choices we make in many areas of our life, and to not utilise such a resource would be foolish, would it not?

It's just important to keep in mind all the exceptions to the rule, the complications, and the worlds which exist independently of it.

Typology is a powerful way of doing psychology, but it is not the one way to be followed above all others. Though would it be acceptable, on a personal level, if one wished to treat it in such a manner?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
To ask if it's necessary to overcome typology (along with your other statements above) implies that you have some intuitive awareness that you have become at least somewhat neurotically attached to it.

This is not an attack, just an observation.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
To ask if it's necessary to overcome typology (along with your other statements above) implies that you have some intuitive awareness that you have become at least somewhat neurotically attached to it.

This is not an attack, just an observation.

That's part of it, but the actual reasons for the thread are something different. It's a veiled prediction.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
To explain the prediction:

I foresee a revival in typology in the coming years, once new developments gain traction. If typology gained much popularity while in the realm of ungrounded assertion, then once it becomes grounded, it will potentially gain even more popularity. Suddenly it's real explanatory power will become apparent, and a substantial number of people may attempt to live their life according to its principles.

This thread is a call for perspective on the issue; to see that there is way more to the story; a "rope" out of typology land, so to speak.

I was also drunk when I made the thread, so it wasn't exactly well thought out.

It may or may not coincide with myself distancing myself from typology; I won't guess at that, I will just proceed as I feel I should.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
logout and get a new hobby

Did you read my posts in this thread? Any idea what this thread is about after it's been explicitly stated?

But I might get off the site, not so I won't engage in typology, but because there is so little of it here that it would free my space up for more of my own investigations into the subject.

Also, the definition of hobby is: "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure". Typology isn't a hobby for me, and this thread is not about people who treat it as a hobby.

In your case, I would suggest learning to write a single post that isn't a troll. You're clearly a toxic individual.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
It is a good news that you want to do some research on Typology, but you may have been dissapointed that you could only find little in this forum.
If you are serious about that, you should pursue it.
Jung was a practicing psychiatrist, so I am inclined to promote his theory, that it must have been developed based on Jung's own and associates practicing psychiatrist for years. You can browse on the net "Jungian Institute". It was found by Carl Jung himself. They have multinational office. There is a certifications offered by this institute, If you aspire to be certified in jungian pscyhology. You May want to visit them. You can google to find Jungian Institute.
Jung's theory different with Isabel Briggs Myers.
Jung must have aimed the person to be psychologically healthy based on his years of psychiatric practice when he wrote psychological types. I view a Jungian typology as a theoretical offer that potentially overcomes psychological problems, like psychopathic condition in our life from which we might suffer.
You may find Jung's helpful, when you suffer from a psychopathic conditions. At least for myself, I find Jung's helpful, since I have suffered from Hypersomnia. Myers seems want to promote an ideal of person that she dream of and promote personal development. Briefly, Myers may want the person to be the best of himself with her MBTI based on a Myers Ideal. Myers has become a "merchant of dreams", by founding CAPT (Center of Applied Psychological Testing). You can google to find Myers Briggs CAPT.

True that some books are available for Free on the net. You can find by googling.
Psychological types
Man and His Symbols
Memory Dream Reflections
Psychology of The Unsconscious
Trancendents Function
etc.

But some recommended books are not available for free.
A widely discussed Carl Jung book is Red book (Liber Novus) on youtube.
YouTube

Jung Works gain recognition by Others Psychologists
YouTube

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've read a lot of Jung's work, and I own The Red Book.

I am not looking to learn more about Jung's ideas (or perhaps partly I am) but to learn about and help discover new developments in the field of typology.

I can do that on my own.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
That sounds like a negative human quality, but do you mind explaining what you mean by this post?

aren't we just bees trying to understand ourself ... Mbti is just a step to reaching that , there is alot others theories which i wish i could understand ( you know once you start working there is alot less time ).

Hey ... but we are socials , even from introvert like us . Sharing information in one of the most powerful tools for us.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Going back to this thread, what are some aspects of people that aren't covered by typology?

Part of the problem with identifying as a type is that you're identifying with only certain cognitive faculties, and ignoring a lot of other stuff, but this should be fine in theory as long as you keep in mind what you're doing. It's your cognitive functions, not your entire being.

So what other things aren't covered?

e.g. gender obviously, and many things related to birthplace, genetic make up (hair colour for example). Moral goodness. Spiritual progression. What else?

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Going back to this thread, what are some aspects of people that aren't covered by typology?

Part of the problem with identifying as a type is that you're identifying with only certain cognitive faculties, and ignoring a lot of other stuff, but this should be fine in theory as long as you keep in mind what you're doing. It's your cognitive functions, not your entire being.

e.g. gender obviously, and many things related to birthplace, genetic make up (hair colour for example). Moral goodness. Spiritual progression. What else?

I'm taking this as we're all human, and we're not all exactly like our MBTI types as they're stated on the internet.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

The list has actually grown quite a bit over time, and some of it may be viewed as controversial, given that we are in a typology community here.

First, type by itself can be limiting to yourself. While it can serve as a guideline to self-development, it can also set restrictions, and it's definitely possible that you forget some aspects of yourself that aren't covered by your chosen type. Over time, I noticed that some people simply cannot be boxed into a single type, their interests are too diverse and multifaceted to detect a clear hierarchy structure that could determine a type. If you would try to pin down a type, you would instead observe a pattern of type-switching or ambiguous preferences. It's not a common things but it does happen.

Second, like [MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] already mentioned at the first post, is the different perception of other people. While type can be useful for a quick classification of other people, there are a few problems with this: Your own perception of someone's type can be wrong for various reasons (like misjudging, or the other person masking, or by judging someone based on their group they belong to). Also, type as a framework doesn't tell anything about a persons interests and what they prefer. An INFP, for example, might judge ethics based on their internal value system, but you can't say what exactly their values are. And, lastly, what I mentioned at first, type may not be accurate for that person at all.

My third point is stereotypes. The difference between type and stereotype is that type only provides the framework for evaluating people, while the stereotypes try to expand that framework into everyday examples. The INFP example above also fits in here, but there are some other examples: Feelers are stereotyped as female, and thinkers as male. Procrastination is seen as a Perceiving trait, even though it is present in [unhealthy] Judgers as well. Extroverts are portrayed as sociable party-animals, but extroverts who don't like parties definitely exist.

4th and last point for now: The validity of the theory. I think reckful's takedown on type dynamics should be a mandatory lecture for anyone applying type theory. Not agreeing with him is fine, after all I believe that critical thinking is something everyone should practice. There are good arguments for and against the validity of type theory, and ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether it's valuable or not. There is a similar amount of criticism about other personality theories such as the Big5. Or MBTI's dichotomies. Often, Big5 is referred as being "more scientific", but what exactly is scientific?

About overcoming typology, I guess it is valuable to expand to other areas of psychology, and some philosophy, maybe spirituality as well if you like it. Try to look beyond the scope of type, develop a different pespective. It's a huge, complex field. You could start at the stereotypes, look where they come from, and what may be other, no-typology related reasons for it. Who are the depressed artists, the procrastinating computer geeks, the party people, the boss people etc, this time not from a type perspective. You may want to look at people who are different from the norm in a substantial way, like autists or HSP's. What is their perspective, how do they perceive the world, what makes them tick, how do they deal with the differences? And maybe take a look into some philosophy as well, what is important in life, what should we strive for, what is valuable? Sometimes I see type as a simplistic, comfortable shortcut to answer larger questions.