User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Ambiversion

MBTI
    xNFP

Lightbulb Ambiversion

Have you ever heard about extraverted introverted types or introverted extraverted types? Which E types are less extroverted of all Es and which I types are less Is? This thread is to discuss ambiversion, which is the situation where a person does not have a preference for introversion or extraversion. So, give freely your opinions and As about which types tend to be more ambiverted, when ambiversion happens, why, etc...

It is important to take these notes from @reckful in post 13:
    Jung was also a strong believer in ambiverts. In fact, he thought more people were in the middle than were extraverted or introverted, and he referred to those ambiverts as "the normal man." But Jungian ambiverts are ambiverted because their functions are essentially undifferentiated — and are neither significantly introverted or significantly extraverted
    Isabel Myers allowed for the possibility of middleness on all four MBTI dimensions, and in at least one of the early versions of the MBTI, it was possible to get an "x" on any dimension. The current version assigns people a (tentative) type on each dimension, but that's a very different thing from saying that it isn't possible for someone not to have a preference — and the MBTI Manual specifically notes that someone with a score near the middle is someone who has essentially "split the vote" rather than offered much evidence of a preference. What's more, the recent "Step II" version of the MBTI has five subscales for each dimension, and it's possible to come out on the E side (for example) of some of them and the I side of the rest.
    In the next paragraph is one "theory" of mine using Grant Function Stack (aka cognitive functions stack) and concepts about Ne and Si to justify a rank about extraversion and which types tends to be ambiverted. In the thread there is a big discussion about the validity of Grant Function stacks, starting from post 13 that states its invalidity.

Types more likely to have ambiversion

Im going to list here the 4 "ambiverts" type with arguments about it.

First, I would like to quickly point out about concepts of introversion or extroversion on MBTI. In common sense, extroverted are supposed to be talkative and social, while introverts should be reclused and more "listeners" type. However, there is a second branch that says that extroverted people are the ones who gets their energy from people while introverted are the ones that gets their energy by being alone. It is funny that, although there is a good bunch of people that claims that the second branch is the right one, a MBTI test that does not have any question related to being talkative and social ("Are you a talker or a listener?" "Are you described as social by other people?" "Do you like parties?" etc..) is very rare. Also, outside MBTI and talking more general, there is the concept that there is not such a thing as fully extraverted or fully introverted and that some people are neither introvert nor extrovert. There are some arguments, maybe I could link sources since discussing this hardly is not on-topic. But this topic is inside this line of thinking: Ambiversion is possible.

Second, by cognitive functions no type is fully extraverted or fully introverted. Every type has 3 main functions (Leading function, Secondary function and tertiary function), and at least one of them is introverted and at least one of them is extroverted in any given type.

(Third has been erased by edit)

Now reaching the point: The 4 ambiverts types are ENFP, ENTP (both can be mentioned as 'introverted extraverts'), ISTJ and ISFJ (both can be mentioned as 'extraverted introverts'). Here is why:

- ENFPs and ENTPs as introverted extraverts: Ne is a cognitive function that can "fire" and work perfectly while being alone (in simply words, by daydreaming and visualizing possibilities), since it works with possibilites and divergent thinking. Actually, Ne has nothing to do with people (different than Fe or Te, Fe specially) nor being outside (as Se is linked to). In the common type descriptions, Ne "doms" are supposed to find "inspiration" by outside envrioments and people, but it actually happens that they can also find inspiration inside their own houses by reading, watching, etc... Note that personal choice and enviroment plays a role here. A Ne-dom can choose to use their Ne inside or outside, so, some Ne users that chooses ways of using Ne that are linked to people wont be ambiverted, so a Ne-leading user can be ambiverted or extroverted by his choice. But, also, the enviroment can restrict choices. Not all enviroments can be inspiring for a Ne users, and sometimes they can be threating, forcing Ne to work in an introverted state. So, to make it clear, ENFPs and ENTPs can be either ambivert (with being slightly introverted) or heavily extroverted or anything between, depending on the enviroment and their own choices.

- ISFJ and ISTJ as extroverted introverts: From all 8 cognitive functions, Si (SJ types) is the one most found in population from several countries (thats true for United States, South Africa, Brazil, Australia and should be for some other countries as well; I plan create a topic about MBTI types in countries later). For this reason, for a Si leading type (ISFJ and ISTJ) it is easier to find other peoples with common interests and that have similar mentality. For this reason they may appear to have better social skills. There are two other arguments: Si function can work socially by telling stories and things about the past, also by stating comparisons with past and present (example: "It usually rains this time of the year"). Also, Si leading types and types with Si as secondary functions are all SJ types that are supposed to have somehow a "societal structure" (structured enviroment), and that results them into feeling or thinking that their life and survival demands socialization in order to structure and put order in their enviroment. In other words, socializing helps bringing more stability, and, therefore, in order to have more stability socializing is needed (when stating that socializing means more stability Im reproducing a Si-leading type mindset, I am not saying that as a general law/philosophy for life). Similar to ENFPs and ENTPs, ISFJs and ISTJs can make a choice into how they use their Si and if they are going to use the fact that Si is the most commom for social advantage or not. Also, not all enviroments are have a lot of Si. Therefore, ISFJs and ISTJs can be either ambivert (with being slightly extroverted) or heavily introverted, depending on the enviroment and their own choices.

EXTRA: [Warning: Extra is bigger than the main part] What about which types are more introverted from all or extroverted from all? Most introverted to extraverted? There are a lot of subjective aka "in my experience" answers but one full of arguments are rare. Im going to give my order with arguments [using mostly Grant Function Stack/cognitive functions stack] instead of experiences. However Im going to say that my arguments arent that strong on this matter, and also, as I said before, there is a variation on individual cases (such as choosing using Ne or Si in a more extrovert or introvert way, and there is also the enviroment factor) so this list is a little bit generic and for reference, since there is no absolute extroversion "hierarchy".

Extraverted cognitive functions are Ne, Te, Se and Fe. As I said, from these four, Ne is the more introverted one. Fe is the most extraverted one since it deals directly about people. Te and Se are the middle ones, since Te can be done through planning and organizing by your own, and Se is more about outside experiences and not about people itself.

Introverted cognitive functions are Ni, Ti, Si and Fi. As I said, Si is the more extraverted from all 4. Fi is partially people related, however values and principles (principles in a Fi way) can be quite detached from people. Ni and Ti got nothing to do at all with people and are mostly, sometimes all the time, used by being alone.

So, in order from most extraverted to most introverted, Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    How that relates to types? Well, by considering the primary, secondary and tertiary functions of each type in function stack. However this would get really complicated, so I will consider the primary and secondary functions onl, so I will take the tertiary off to simplify (also the tertiary is the less important one, so considering only the 1st and 2nd is quite accurate).

So, in order from most extraverted type from most introverted type, here we go:

PS: Using and combining: Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.

a) Supposed to be Very Extraverted
    1) ESFJ: Fe is the most extraverted function while Si is the most extraverted introverted function, so, ESFJ is the supposed to be the most extraverted type. Its the best possible combination for extraversion: Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    2) ESTJ: Te is a reasonbly extraverted functions but Si is the most extraverted introverted function.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    3) ESFP: Se is a reasonbly extraverted function while Fi is ranked in middle on introversion.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.

b) Extraverted
    4) ENFJ: Its a true yin and yang here, since Ni is along with the most introverted functions and Fe is the most extroverted function.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    5) ESTP: A draw with ENTJ in this theory (although in my personal experience I think ESTPs are more extroverted than ENTJs usually). If numbers are equal on the list, its not a mistake, but a draw.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    5) ENTJ: Very similar in terms of ESTP in these terms. For ESTP, Ti is the function that holds the extroversion back, while for ENTJ thats the Ni function. Ni is the most rare function in the population, mainly because INFJ and ENFJ are the rarest types, so an ENTJ has a little bit of an awkard side because of Ni which holds the extroversion back.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.

c) Ambiversion
    7) ISFJ: Its the same argument for ESFJs, except that its Si-doms instead of Fe-doms.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    7) ENFP: As explained before.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    9) ENTP: As explained before. Ranked below ENFP because Fi has a relation with people while Ti is completely people independent. Considering only the two first functions, ENTPs tends to be slightly more introverted than ENFPs, however if we consider the tertiary function (Fe for ENTPs and Te for ENFPs) its a draw.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    9) ISTJ: As explained before. Ranked below ISFJ because Fe is more extraverted than Te. However, if we consider the tertiary function (Fi for ISTJ and Ti for ISFJ) its a draw.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.

d) Introverted
    11) ISFP: Below Si-leading types in extraversion, but ranks better than Ni or Ti types.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    11) INFJ: Yin and yang again, just backwards.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    13) INTJ: Very held by Ni, but got Te.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    13) INFP: Ne is the weakest extroverted function in terms of extraversion, but gets balanced by Fi, which gives a little bit of incentive for socializing. Socializing style can be a lot varied because of this.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.
    15) ISTP: Very held by Ti, but got Se.
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.

e) Heavily introverted
    16) INTP: Ne is the weakest extroverted function in terms of extraversion while Ti is the weakest of all in this matter, so, INTP is supposed to be the most introverted type of all (by considering the first 2 functions).
    Fe>Te=Se>Ne=Si>Fi>Ni=Ti.

Im going to skip the explanation, but considering the tertiary function INTPs and ISTPs are the most introverted types.
    Last edited by Vendrah; 08-14-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Likes RedAmazoneFriendZone liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Seemingly ambiverted traits can come up in a person who uses more than average of their auxiliary and/or inferior function(s).

Te and Fe are the most verbal functions, so in terms of how much a person talks, this is correlated to being a J.
    the lone star flies alone
    Likes Norexan, Vendrah liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Enneagram 1 and 8 are ambiverted people while ennargam 3,7 and 2 are extroverted. Difference.
    I know many 3s want to be 8s but they are not. Main trait of healthy 8 is SELF-RELIANT.
    Also 8 is heavy correlate to dom Te while 3 is heavy correlate to dom Se and 7 is heavy correalte to dom Ne.
    So ENxP CANNOT BE ambivert! ExxP wants to grab the world. YOU WANT TO MOVE IT. MOVE IT. YOU WANT TO MOVE IT.
    Ambivert is ExxJ or IxxP.

So if you are XNTJ you are ENTJ or if you are xNFP you are INFP. Period.

Imagine you wrote "I am ENTP type 7" What you wrote It would sound like "Hello all flat earthers all around the globe"
    True Neutral 1 8 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Seemingly ambiverted traits can come up in a person who uses more than average of their auxiliary and/or inferior function(s).

Te and Fe are the most verbal functions, so in terms of how much a person talks, this is correlated to being a J.
    Strong or weak secondary functions can lead to ambiversion too, but that case is more complex and less likely/current. I could include that in the future althought.
    Actually, thats a more broad subject since strong or weak tertiary or secondary functions can lead to being balanced in N-S or F-T or I-E axis (for J-P I doubt however). For example, a INFJ with slightly weaker Fe and relatively good developed Ti can strike as INxJ. I pretend creating another topic regarding that and link this one to it. In the case of Introversion or Extroversion is a little bit more complicated and less likely. In the INFJ example, for an INFJ get xNFJ it would be required to have a weaker Ni and Ti and stronger Fe at the same time (only one of these events isnt enough), which is less unlikely and more complicated than simply use Ne in an introverted manner. Also, the weaker Ti could lead another function to assume tertiary role which would lead to a hell of confusion while typing (I post a lot in the typing forum and that happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    Enneagram 1 and 8 are ambiverted people while ennargam 3,7 and 2 are extroverted. Difference.
    I know many 3s want to be 8s but they are not. Main trait of healthy 8 is SELF-RELIANT.
    Also 8 is heavy correlate to dom Te while 3 is heavy correlate to dom Se and 7 is heavy correalte to dom Ne.
    So ENxP CANNOT BE ambivert! ExxP wants to grab the world. YOU WANT TO MOVE IT. MOVE IT. YOU WANT TO MOVE IT.
    Ambivert is ExxJ or IxxP.

So if you are XNTJ you are ENTJ or if you are xNFP you are INFP. Period.

Imagine you wrote "I am ENTP type 7" What you wrote It would sound like "Hello all flat earthers all around the globe"
    I dont know much about ennegram, I barely know my ennegram to be honest (I think its 1w9 or 9w1, I dont even remember). But, as you say, it has a correlation, but its not an absolute conversion. Being enneagram type x or y doesnt mean being MBTI type 1 or 2. So, I dont think you can freely carry the ideia that "type 7 is extroverted", "type 7 is ENTP" and "Therefore, ENTP are extroverted" because not all ENTP are type 7 nor all type 7 are ENTP. Same goes for any other type. Ambiversion in ennegram deserves a topic by its own and the person to create it is not me. And as I made clear, ENFP and ENTP can use Ne outwards or not, so some ENTP and ENFP (and the "standard" ENFP and ENTP) will be quite extroverted while some others not. I am going to edit the main topic to make clear that the same is somewhat valid for ISFJ and ISTJ as well.

OFF-TOPIC: I would also to state that when you write "thats it, period" is kind of cute (specially with emoctions along), makes it look more like a belief (God is here to save us all, period) than a discussion about exceptions and degrees of extroversion in MBTI.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Quote Originally Posted by Vendrah View Post
    Strong or weak secondary functions can lead to ambiversion too, but that case is more complex and less likely/current. I could include that in the future althought.
    Actually, thats a more broad subject since strong or weak tertiary or secondary functions can lead to being balanced in N-S or F-T or I-E axis (for J-P I doubt however). For example, a INFJ with slightly weaker Fe and relatively good developed Ti can strike as INxJ. I pretend creating another topic regarding that and link this one to it. In the case of Introversion or Extroversion is a little bit more complicated and less likely. In the INFJ example, for an INFJ get xNFJ it would be required to have a weaker Ni and Ti and stronger Fe at the same time (only one of these events isnt enough), which is less unlikely and more complicated than simply use Ne in an introverted manner. Also, the weaker Ti could lead another function to assume tertiary role which would lead to a hell of confusion while typing (I post a lot in the typing forum and that happens).

I dont know much about ennegram, I barely know my ennegram to be honest (I think its 1w9 or 9w1, I dont even remember). But, as you say, it has a correlation, but its not an absolute conversion. Being enneagram type x or y doesnt mean being MBTI type 1 or 2. So, I dont think you can freely carry the ideia that "type 7 is extroverted", "type 7 is ENTP" and "Therefore, ENTP are extroverted" because not all ENTP are type 7 nor all type 7 are ENTP. Same goes for any other type. Ambiversion in ennegram deserves a topic by its own and the person to create it is not me. And as I made clear, ENFP and ENTP can use Ne outwards or not, so some ENTP and ENFP (and the "standard" ENFP and ENTP) will be quite extroverted while some others not. I am going to edit the main topic to make clear that the same is somewhat valid for ISFJ and ISTJ as well.

OFF-TOPIC: I would also to state that when you write "thats it, period" is kind of cute (specially with emoctions along), makes it look more like a belief (God is here to save us all, period) than a discussion about exceptions and degrees of extroversion in MBTI.
    INFJ can be extravert as ENFJ. Difference? Easy. INFJ is too much N. ENFJ is too normal to be N.

"type 7 is extrovert" this is just truth form one type system. So when you are type 7 you actually says about you that you are extrovert prone to philanthropy and fun. 7s want everyone to be happy but first they..

Type 7 is any dom Ne or dom Se.

Type 7. Enthusiast
    World View: The world is full of opportunity and options. I look forward to the future.
    Basic Desire: to be happy
    Basic Fear: of being deprived

ealthy loop controlled by Basic Desire:
    Need to be happy -> explore and appreciate world -> happy -> Need to be happy
    In the healthy state, the need to be happy induces Type Sevens to explore the world and genuinely appreciate what they find. They derive great happiness as a result, thus their need is satisfied and a balance is reached.

In the average state, when Sevens' are not exploring and appreciating the world, they become restless and unhappy. The the need to be happy increases, which helps Sevens to again reach out to the world and find things to appreciate. Thus the balancing loop can help Sevens to recover.

Unhealthy loop controlled by Basic Fear:
    Fear of being being deprived -> numbly seek sensations -> happy -> Fear of being being deprived
    In the unhealthy state, the basic fear of being being deprived can cause Type Sevens to numbly seek new and different sensations and adventures without truly appreciating the experience. This means they will derive little happiness from all the highs, which further increases Sevens' feeling of emptiness and basic fear of being deprived. The cycle continues to build up.

Period.
    True Neutral 1 8 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    954 so/sp
    Socionics
    EIE None

Wouldn't you add INFJs to the ambivert list? I would...

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I play one on TV.

TV is code for the internet.
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Sometimes I wonder if I might be an ambivalent. Then I think nah, I'm just an Extrovert with little tolerance for bullshit.

So I love being around people for all of about ten minutes and then I remember what they be like.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

No. Extroverted and introverted is much more than just talkative, reclused. It is about nature dynamics of psychic energy orientation from a standpoint of subjective reality and objective reality. I keep telling that the Myers want to make the Psychological Types be more accessible for common people by developing a testing instrument known as MBTI, but it becomes oversimplifed. However, Myers work seemed to achieve the goal she had dreamt of. what A work from an INFP!!

Literally, Subject means an agent who does something to the object. Object means a thing to which receives an action (s)from the subject.

Following jung(you can read this in Psychological Types: Chapter 10: General description of the types). I try to explain with my own words. But you may find largely still follow jung's theory. It is called extroverted when, the object is judged or perceived as higher in value than the subject. As a consequence, the subject always adjust itself to the object. It is called introverted when the subject is always judged or perceived as higher in value than the object.
    The extroverted and introverted nature of psychic energy is applied further to basic psychological functions: feeling, thinking, intuion, sensation. By doing so, 8 basic psychological functions is found: extroverted feeling (Fe), introverted feeling (fi), extroverted thinking(Te), introverted thinking(Ti), extroverted intuition(Ne), introverted intuiton(Ni), introverted sensation(Si), extroverted sensation(Se).
    Jung himself, explains each of the unsconscious and conscious nature of each psychological function in Psychological Types. But he never combines it. He said there is no such thing like a pure type in the actuality. The possible combination does not follow factorial formula in mathematics: since there are 8 function, then them will be the number that the thread starter posted.
    How myers briggs find only 16 types.

Myers actually followed Jung guidance in combining basic psychological functions.
    Jung categorizes sensing and intuition as a perceiving functions, while thinking and feeling as a judging function. When combining it, the perceiving function must be paired with judging function with opposing nature of psychic energy orientation. And A feeling function can never be combined with its opposite a thinking function, since when feeling conscious, thinking is unsconscious. For example, a possible combination of judging function and perceiving function for introverted feeler, only two perception function: either extroverted intuition, or extroverted sensation, so it becomes Fi-Se, or Fi-Ne. About the other function in unsconscious, is Ni-Te and Si-Te. When feeling is primary function, thinking naturally becomes an inferior function vice versa. So When Fi is Primary,Te is inferior. It will be the least developed function. When Te is inferior, the third function, has to be Si, for Fi-Ne, and has to be Ni for Fi-Se.
    Try combining the 8 psychological function following jung guidance, you'll find what Myers has found: the 16 Types.
    Likes Norexan liked this post

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    HIGH Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Vendrah View Post

- ENFPs and ENTPs as introverted extraverts: Ne is a cognitive function that can "fire" and work perfectly while being alone (in simply words, by daydreaming and visualizing possibilities), since it works with possibilites and divergent thinking. Actually, Ne has nothing to do with people (different than Fe or Te, Fe specially) nor being outside (as Se is linked to). In the common type descriptions, Ne "doms" are supposed to find "inspiration" by outside envrioments and people, but it actually happens that they can also find inspiration inside their own houses by reading, watching, etc... Note that personal choice and enviroment plays a role here. A Ne-dom can choose to use their Ne inside or outside, so, some Ne users that chooses ways of using Ne that are linked to people wont be ambiverted, so a Ne-leading user can be ambiverted or extroverted by his choice. But, also, the enviroment can restrict choices. Not all enviroments can be inspiring for a Ne users, and sometimes they can be threating, forcing Ne to work in an introverted state. So, to make it clear, ENFPs and ENTPs can be either ambivert (with being slightly introverted) or heavily extroverted or anything between, depending on the enviroment and their own choices.
    I will only talk personally with what I had been discovering for myself.
    What you write here makes sense to me and there are many videos about ENF on the subject.
    "Adventure of an ENFP", "Erick Thor" to quote the most objective on the subject.

When I take any test, I always find myself around 52 extraversion, and 48 introversion, or the contrary.
    That belongs to me and how I do perceive the world.
    And yes I can remain a few days at home as long as I get inspired, with my books, my cat, my music and my FREE SPACE.

Other types can speak about themselves, I cannot comment about other "ambiversions", I didn't study them.
    I know I even seem introverted to some friends who think they do know me.

Only my ex's can know I'm not an extrovert
    Last edited by RedAmazoneFriendZone; 08-14-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

Dare observing your shadows (50 shades of darkness) for your own well-being Unfortunately we are all fucking contagious Smile and see what happens around you......
    Likes Vendrah, Abcdenfp liked this post