• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 4 sides of the mind (Do anybody know the details on this?)

infinfj65

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hello All,
I was watching C.S. Lewis on YouTube and I fou d a video on the four sides of the mind. He showed the four sides of and INFJ mind. There was the ego, the super-ego, the unconscious, and the subconscious. The diagram showed the four personality types that correspond with each side. I uploaded the screenshot.
Does anybody know how this works? When do the other three sides of the mind come out? Any other information about this would be helpful.
Thanks.
61c1edd251a965f1903759e5bc6fe2e9.jpg

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think you mean C.S. Joseph. C.S. Lewis was the Christian writer who wrote the Narnia Chronicles.

--

Sub-conscious as well as super-ego can come out in situations where the ego functions are insufficient to function, such as an intuitive needing to deal with a lot of sensory data. They can happen as the environment calls for them, but can also become habitually over-used.

Functions are used sequentially in a variety of contexts, so the ego, then subconscious, then unconscious, then superego will be sequentially activated when dealing with activities with multiple phases.

The unconscious functions can come about when a person is inspired. They can even be used along side the ego functions, and spending time with a person who uses your unconscious functions as their ego functions may activate this.

The super-ego functions, when used properly, give you the finishing touches on working with some phenomenon. It allows you to master subject matter and you're operating at a high cognitive level if all 8 functions are brought into play.

Also, when you do have that 8-function mastery, the super-ego functions can be used alongside the ego functions (and subconscious alongside unconscious) such as using Ne and Se in a joint fashion.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
To give an example of myself (INFJ) and how the functions come about in day-to-day life and my approach to typology, and thought-processes:

In day-to-day life:

Generally I spend my days on the forum, discussing typology. Teaching and helping in ways which stem from a conceptual worldview. (ego, Ni+Fe)

I regularly take breaks to indulge in the physical, such as smoking or cooking. (subconscious, Ti+Se)

I often have music playing that inspires me in some way. (unconscious, Ne+Fi)

When I'm up for it, I do organisational things like cleaning my room. (super-ego, Te+Si)

The ego <-> subconscious back and forth takes up most of my day. Unconscious energises me, and super-ego is unnatural for me but keeps things running smoothly.

In approach to typology:

I started out with the general conceptual/philosophical understanding, and articulated thoughts and conversed with people. (Ni+Fe)

Then I learnt the theory in terms of cognitive functions etc. and how type manifests visually. (Ti+Se)

Then I started coming up with new ideas and doing some serious soul-searching. (Ne+Fi) Also cross-contextualising with reminds between people and self-systemising. (Ne+Fi+Te+Si)

More recently, I've conceived of methodologies for typing people in an evidence-based and verifiable fashion. This represented mastery of the material. (Te+Si)

In terms of thought processes:

Ni: idea-channelling, Fe: imagined interactions (natural processes)
Ti: decision making by weighing things up, Se: sensory stimulation, e.g. simulating music (can get annoying, reluctant)
Ne: new ideas, Fi: thinking about other people (I like these processes)
Te: putting forth arguments, Si: memories (often associated with anger and regret)

(not an exhaustive list)