• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Direct vs Indirect communication styles in mbti?

Gabby2

Enneagram
Such as:
"Pls take out the trash" instead of
"Hmm the trash is full"

Is an an introverted thinker or feeler more likely to have a direct communication style or have an indirect communication style?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Saying "hmm the trash is full" because you want someone to take out the trash sounds really petty.

I wonder if I do this sort of thing. :S

--

This actually might be correct. Je is directive whereas Pe is observant.

--

When I looked at the thread title I thought it would be an S versus N thing, because Sensing is direct and Intuition is more about implications/inferrences, though I'm not sure if that division applies to the example stated. It may be related to T versus F, because Feelers are typically said to have a tendency to dance around an issue in order to not upset harmony or something like that, whereas Thinking (especially Te) is more blunt.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really think this is type related. Its more communication style, and lots of people of various types do one or the other, or both depending on circumstance.

I know I would tell people to take out the trash, because it needs to be done. Its how you live in a not filthy environment, and makes functionality better. I don't want people coming over and seeing this filth. This isn't because I am a J, but more so because I am a 1. I am a messy person, and a very strict and clean person at the same time. It just depends on what I am doing, and where I am doing it. I clean up after myself, I expect others to do the same.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really think this is type related. Its more communication style, and lots of people of various types do one or the other, or both depending on circumstance.

I know I would tell people to take out the trash, because it needs to be done. Its how you live in a not filthy environment, and makes functionality better. I don't want people coming over and seeing this filth. This isn't because I am a J, but more so because I am a 1. I am a messy person, and a very strict and clean person at the same time. It just depends on what I am doing, and where I am doing it. I clean up after myself, I expect others to do the same.

Well, the topic isn't really about taking out trash and cleanliness -- it's about the manner in which one communicates that the trash needs to be taken out. But Re your first paragraph, sure, if you end up being the one who takes it out when you see it's full, then no communication needs to happen. And sure, there will be individual variance and some individuals of a given type may have learned or will choose to communicate in a mode differing from their natural preference - maybe particularly if they've learned it's more effective on the job or if they've learned their friend or partner appreciates a different mode better and they value this person. Or, maybe a particular scenario just really brings out a different style for whatever reason.

---------------------

@OP - Re types and direct/indirect, yes, there are overall trends -- which is really what 'type' is about - it's about general tendencies in people - tendencies that can be grouped by type. The links [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] provided are the interaction/communication styles of the 16 types. And sure, it's part of the theory, just as every other method of typing is mere theory. Will it apply to every single person on the planet/ everyone of a given type? Highly, highly doubtful. But it's about trends.

So generally speaking, there are types who could be viewed as beating around the bush with anything they're trying to say, who are very indirect because they don't want to come across as 'demanding' or as 'ordering' anyone around, thus will couch their language with fluff, pleasantries, suggestions, providing information and then seeing if the other party decides to do anything with the information, giving hints, can be viewed as being passive and not stating directly what they actually want.... and then there are types that in general will just get right to the point, will ask succinctly if such and such person will please take out the trash, will say such and such is the problem (vs such and such might be the problem), will be viewed as more 'blunt', and so on. Of course there are a few in-between styles. Pure directing per theory is ENTJ, ESTJ, ESTP, ENFJ. Pure Informing (polar opposite communication preference) is INFP, ISFJ, INTP, ISFP. The other eight are kind of middling.

Jaguar

[MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] provided are the interaction/communication styles of the 16 types. And sure, it's part of the theory, just as every other method of typing is mere theory. Will it apply to every single person on the planet/ everyone of a given type? Highly, highly doubtful. But it's about trends.

I use the word "pattern," and you use the word "trends" but we mean the same thing. The pattern or trend can include something or be missing something one might not expect to find, but the big picture is still there. There are a few obvious Directing types like myself, Discobiscuit, Halla74, and someone you might not know - an ESTP named Treebob who posts here occasionally but moderates another online forum. Directing communication is going to be seen pretty easily with ENTJs and ESTPs. There was a woman who claimed to be ESTP and I kept scratching my head saying, "There is no way this chick is ESTP." Long story short, after years of telling the forum she was ESTP, out of the blue she admitted it was all untrue and she was actually an NF. An eyebrow-raising event for certain but with an end result I actually believed.

Then you have Informing communication and it can be so strong you get someone like my brother who was shouting, "You're breaking the rules!" at a guy who was allowing his dog to crap on our lawn. As if informing him of that would even matter or solve the problem.

;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use the word "pattern," and you use the word "trends" but we mean the same thing. The pattern or trend can include something or be missing something one might not expect to find, but the big picture is still there. There are a few obvious Directing types like myself, Discobiscuit, Halla74, and someone you might not know - an ESTP named Treebob who posts here occasionally but moderates another online forum. Directing communication is going to be seen pretty easily with ENTJs and ESTPs. There was a woman who claimed to be ESTP and I kept scratching my head saying, "There is no way this chick is ESTP." Long story short, after years of telling the forum she was ESTP, out of the blue she admitted it was all untrue and she was actually an NF. An eyebrow-raising event for certain but with an end result I actually believed.

Then you have Informing communication and it can be so strong you get someone like my brother who was shouting, "You're breaking the rules!" at a guy who was allowing his dog to crap on our lawn. As if informing him of that would even matter or solve the problem.

;)

Yep. Agree we're talking about the same thing.

And it's hilarious to me if you're not viewed as directive -- you're about as blunt and no-nonsense in communication as they come on this forum. I'm not familiar with Treebob,no, but there's most definitely a difference between your/discobiscuit/halla's communication and any informing type of communication.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Depend on function.

Fe and Te are directing (Fe about emotions and Te about reason)
Fi and Ti are inderecting (Fi about emotions and Ti about reason)
Ni/Se are straightforward thinker -> oriented what is NOW and what can be.
Ne/Si are reclusive thinker -> oriented what is KNOWN and what COULD BE.

For example Fi users will never show you in direct approach how they feel toward someone (Introverted Feelings) but they will be directed when they give you instruction how something you should do so your life will be organized (Extroverted Thinking)

SJ vs NJ :)
2532.jpg

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
[MENTION=34350]Norexan[/MENTION] I quite like the sniper metaphor for Ni :p

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think there can also be a cultural component to this where some cultures favor and find acceptable a more direct style while others prefer a more indirect style. Of course there will always be differences among individuals, but I think the US and other western cultures, which are seen as more individualistic and "selfish," would lean toward a more direct style, while collectivist cultures, which place more emphasis on group harmony, would be more indirect.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Masculine vs feminine approach

Tell that to all my whiny little passive-agressive guy friends who do the whole “ Whatever is fine” “ I don’t mind/have no preference” then throw a fit and call me a big meany for ‘always doing what I want’ because I am often times the only one who KNOWS what I want.

Socially, this is one of my biggest frustrations. Apparently, it is rude to be direct, to let people know what is up, to communicate efficiently so that there can be no misunderstanding.

But speaking in riddles, with uncertainty, in a way which constantly keeps one guessing at wha5 they really mean ( or want, and then bitching at you when they don’t get their way) or pouting for a week instead if just saying “ You did X and that pissed me off.” Is the proper and socially acceptable way of communicating.

I think there can also be a cultural component to this where some cultures favor and find acceptable a more direct style while others prefer a more indirect style. Of course there will always be differences among individuals, but I think the US and other western cultures, which are seen as more individualistic and "selfish," would lean toward a more direct style, while collectivist cultures, which place more emphasis on group harmony, would be more indirect.

Yep. It’s why, despite my love of Historical Japan I could probably never visit. You’re always vague about your feelings and opinions and familiarity is such a great offense. I couldn’t do it.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=29849]Yuu[/MENTION] - I am not certain if anticlimatic was referring to this, but there is another system of personality typing called Objective Personality, and one of their distinctions within the system is "gendered" functions. Masculine is more "punchy", as they say. So, if someone has masculine Je, they would be "punching" at those around them, either through Fe or Te.

That's my CliffNotes version.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I'm indirect, it tends to be for a couple of reasons. Sometimes I'm not certain, and so I state things in a more abstract or indirect way that may or may not apply to anything specific. Other times I don't want to put pressure on someone, so stating something indirectly is a way to give them an 'out'. Sometimes I also don't want to embarrass someone directly. I don't speak indirectly and then have expectations of responses as though it was stated directly. I do take responsibility for indirectness. It means I don't expect particular response as though they should know directly what I meant. I can also be direct when it matters.

I wouldn't say, "oh the trash is full", or "please take out the trash" because I would tend to just do it myself.