• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Pleasures

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Do you realize you just agreed with me?

Yes, my point is that shyness is related to the neuroticism dimension, but that it doesn't mean you have to be shy if you're high in that. It is possible to be really high in some dimensions of a trait and really low in others. With accommodation I am very high in all of them, but very low in dimension six, what one author calls sympathy. I also find I have a lot of high-low variation on the openness dimensions. One day I'd like to post the Big Five and their six dimensions, but that day isn't today.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Thursday night @ 11pm EST on HBO:

"Cranky loners and the people who love them".

Blue, when I checked HBO's online schedule I didn't see anything like that. Also I don't know if we get HBO in this part of Vermont. It is the bush after all. Finding a Walmart is a joyous occassion.

You did mean last Thursday?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blue, when I checked HBO's online schedule I didn't see anything like that. Also I don't know if we get HBO in this part of Vermont. It is the bush after all. Finding a Walmart is a joyous occassion.

You did mean last Thursday?

Oh Bella! I'm so sorry! It was a joke!

ROFL!

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this article relates

http://www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/nutrinews/The Edge Effect NN (Spring-05).pdf

Beta waves, dopamine to NT
Alpha waves, acetylcholine to NF
Theta waves, GABA to SJ
Delta waves, Seratonin to SP

its written by an MD

he writes that we all have a dominant neuro pathway (and it doesnt have to match up like above...you can be a dopamine SJ)

FUN FACT: I have used/stacked almost ALL of the drugs/supplements listed for boosting acetylcholine! (the good ones are for some reason not listed on both the table and the individual paragraphs)... cant say that they make me feel my best...they do help boost short term memory and cognitive speed. They seemed to change my personality.

I definitely feel much better when using dopamine type interactions. Did I mention that I am addicted to caffeine? (like not in the "typical" everyone-has-coffee way...)

CRITICISM: this guy gives examples on how to manipulate each system to the benefit of the dominant type. The problem with this view is that no matter what your dominance, the acetyl-choline drugs are the most forgiving as far as how much you can fuck with that system without it being antagonistic to important functions. The dopamine system, similarly, is very unforgiving. Even for a dominant dopamine person. High amounts of dopamine can trigger dormant bi polar personalities, hallucinations, schitzo etc. High amounts of aceytlcholine just give you a few temporary muscle spasms :D

Piracetam/pramiracetam have been associated with promoting delta and theta waves
Oxiracetam/aniracetam have been associated with promoting beta and alpha waves.

This corresponds perfectly with how the article divides up people. certain people like and respond better to a particular racetam.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm gonna share the info I have from books on Big Five traits and the chemicals and systems behind them. I'm just not feeling like typing up posts these days. Lazy and busy.

I figured GABA had to do with conscientiousness (J) since it's all about inhibiting stuff.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna share the info I have from books on Big Five traits and the chemicals and systems behind them. I'm just not feeling like typing up posts these days. Lazy and busy.

I figured GABA had to do with conscientiousness (J) since it's all about inhibiting stuff.

the article I posted lists all the inhibitory chemicals as S and all the excitatory as N. So of course I then made the correct assumption that S's are drugged up zombies who can't think for too long until their inhibitors kick in. :devil:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I found this. Didn't learn much of anything new from it, but it's a nice review.

EXTROVERT VS INTROVERT

Some quotable quotes if you don't wanna read the whole thing:

Remember, someone you know, respect and interact with every day is an introvert, and you are probably driving this person nuts. :steam: (I just thought this was funny)

There are definitely benefits to being an introvert. Introverts do better in college and graduate school. They divorce less and change jobs less than do extroverts. However, a study of 258 college students found that extroverts had higher self-esteem and fewer sleep problems.

Novelty seekers (where’s the bungee-jumping party?) were found to have a long D4DR gene and were less sensitive to dopamine, a chemical mediator for pleasure and emotion in the brain. The “low-novelty seekers” had short D4DR genes that were highly sensitive to dopamine. Because they receive enough dopamine in quiet activities, they don’t need as much “buzz” in their lives. They feel more discomfort than enjoyment from thrill-seeking or risk-taking. Too much dopamine and they feel over-stimulated.

The introverted brain has a higher level of internal activity and thinking than the extroverted brain. It is dominated by the long, slow pathway of another neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Introverts require a limited range of not too much or too little dopamine, another brain chemical, and a good level of acetylcholine to keep a calm feeling instituted. Acetylcholine serves as a trigger to the brain to conserve energy and stimulates good thinking and feeling.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^

Yeah, I wrote about D4DR elsewhere. That bit is interesting. Also the pathway stuff - I'll upload the diagrams. I don't know if it all follows though. I score high on risk-taking/thrill-seeking despite being an introvert. Maybe we should have a new poll! :happy2:

Then again, maybe not.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
^

Yeah, I wrote about D4DR elsewhere. That bit is interesting. Also the pathway stuff - I'll upload the diagrams. I don't know if it all follows though. I score high on risk-taking/thrill-seeking despite being an introvert. Maybe we should have a new poll! :happy2:

Then again, maybe not.

I think in MBTI language, NTP can all make a contribution to thrill seeking and NP to risk-taking.

In Big Five language NTP matches most closely with high openness, low neuroticism, and low conscientiousness. High openness folks are more easily bored with the same ol' crap and are much more interested in trying new things. High neuroticism types are more easily excited, so to get a low neuroticism type excited it takes more. Low conscientiousness types are more playful and less professional and don't resist urges as well. The personality trait with the strongest link to gambling problems and drug/alcohol addictions is low consolidation.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lastscan.jpg

Last edited: